Sign in to follow this  
mojam

Confeds Cup!

mojam   

anybody following the confederations matches. Argentina is tight ... watch out brazil. Tunisia played good too by the way.

Where's Maxi Lopes of Barcelona. Isn't he in the Argentine squad?

BOB   

Mojam, how are you my brother..good to know your season hasn't ended yet like Northerner who i am afraid defected to Cricket land :D .

I just finished watching the first semis between Germany and Brazil and the ref from Chile seemed to be out of sorts and determined to see Germany progress into the finals..if I may add.

The Germany penalty was "imaginative" one to say the least as Ballack went down easily (the commentator said the ref awarded the penalty because of Emerson's foul on Ballack and not Roque Jr on Huth) which was still harsh.

I hope it will be Brazil Vs Argentine final as that will be a mouthwatering showdown between South America's giants and I believe Brazil will beat both Argentine or Mexico and I will even go as far as saying if they meet Mexico in the final it will be one sided final. forget about Mexico's fluke win over Brazil, Brazil rarely lose in any final and I got a long history to back me up on this one.

Today Robinho and Kaka had an off day and Ronaldinho wasn't his usual magician but we can all understand that as most of the players at the tournament had long and exhausting season.

Peace,Love & Unity.

Viking   

The Germany-Brazil game was quite entertaining, but it withered away towards the end. Brazil's team has too much flair, a few changes would make them very lethal. I would remove Kaka/Robinho (or both) so that Ronaldinho can get some space. These three seem to be running in the same zones, always in each others way. I would bring in Edu or Gilberto Silva to help Emerson in the midfield, that way they get more strength and would do a better job that Kaka and Robinho because too many cooks spoil the broth.

The player who has impressed me the most in the Brazil squad is Cicinho, I hope the big teams are watching because this dude is better than any right-back I've seen this year (incl Il-Pendelino himself).

And what the heck is Roque-Junior doing in the squad? He wasn't good enough for AC Milan or Leeds and now plays in Germany, why is he getting a place in the best team in the world? :confused: Germany looked good today, but they should definately get rid of Huth if they want some stability in the defence.

I hope Argentina go through, there's more rivalry between them and Brazil. Plus Brazil feel they need to revenge the 3-1 thrashing in Buenos Aires a few weeks ago and this is a great opportunity. What a final it would be!

BOB,

I can't stand cricket because the scores confuse me. You need a guide-book to undrestand who won and who did what :D There are also very few countries that play the sport (or that are good at it) which makes it less exciting. Imagine a sport where West Indies and Pakistan are big names, this sport must be loathed around the world.

Why not watch some tennis? I'm enjoying Wimbledon a lot! :D Federer to beat Roddick in the final, again (he's just too good). Serena to revenge last years loss in the final and beat Sharapova.

BOB   

Viking,

I know the rules as I live in a cricket mad country, I even attended few matches when they hosted the world cup last year simply because I got free tickets but I wouldn’t pay one cent to watch it.

Wimbledon you say, now you are talking...I was watching Federer game before the football game and I saw John Terry enjoying the Mexican wave plus loads of other Brit Celebs which I don't know of except the black dude who is the celebrity chef and the Olympic champion Denise something.

Bro, Maria Sharapova is the real deal, Williams era is gone as you saw how Venus struggled to beat that Slovakian girl while Sharapova isn't only on song but easy for the eyes as well (niaje beste ;) ) plus she can play unlike a certain Ana Kournikova who was the Beckham version of Tennis.

I think it will be Federer Vs Roddick or Hewitt for the boys and Sharapova Vs Davenport or Sharapova Vs Kim Clistjers for the girls.

Peace,Love & Unity.

Intel   

Originally posted by Viking:

I can't stand cricket because the scores confuse me.

you familiar with the terms

duck

golden duck

nightwatchman

ferret

rabbit

leg side

on side

off side

off stump

middle stump

leg stump

wrong 'un

googly

flipper

Chinaman

cover drive

full toss

:D

rumours has it that Robinho is going to Arsenal for 14 mil.

the tennis Hewitt to beat Federer...come'00n

BOB   

Argentine just beat Mexico on penalities...so expect an epic battle between Argentine and Brazil in the final on Wednesday which i think Brazil will win and evenge their recent loss to Argentine in Buones Aires.

PS. Rokko, i am afraid Federer & Hewitt will meet before the final which is DISAPPOINTING and like i said Williams era is over as Serena got dumped.

Peace,Love & Unity.

mojam   

Cricket ;)

I tried playing that game but wasn't too good at it ;)

Bob, I totally agree the Germans didn't deserve that penalty but I guess the ref felt guilty since the penalty he gave to Brasil two minutes earlier wasn't really a penalty either (ADRIANO wasn't going to get anywhere even if he wasn't pushed -- he had already lost his balance before and was loosing control of the ball anyways.)

I didn't catch the mexico-argentina game but the final will be something to look forward to. I am with Brasil but Argentina can also take it.

Brasil and Argentina are also paired up in the World Youth Championship semis, the winner of that game will play an African team, either Morocco or Nigeria.

What hapenned to Maxi Lopez. He is not in neither of Argentina's squads? Not the junior or the senior team.

Viking, I know where you are coming from. I too would like to see Ronaldinho get more space since he is such a talented player but I don't think the answer lies in removing Kaka or Robinho.

Rather, I think Ronaldinho needs to chill out and let them do their job. I know he is the play-maker of the team but he shouldn't be at the wings dragging two defenders with him. Rather, he should seek to play more of a centered role.

The way he is playing is just like he plays for Barca. Well, this isn't the LPF, Ronaldinho. This competition is twice as tough.

nuune   

Brazil 4-1 Argentina

29 June 2005

by FIFAworldcup.com

Amid a torrential downpour, Brazil turned on the style to beat Argentina 4-1 and take the FIFA Confederations Cup for the second time. Two goals from Adriano, which won him the Golden Boot, and one each from captain Ronaldinho and Kaka capped a superb performance from the FIFA World Cup holders.

While there were no surprises in the Brazil line-up, Argentina coach Jose Pekerman sprung a surprise by including Diego Placente, who had not been used before at this tournament, with Walter Samuel named among the substitutes. As the replacement for the banned Javier Saviola, in came Cesar Delgado whose only involvement so far had been an 11-minute run-out from the bench against Germany.

Argentina dominated the initial exchanges. Juan Riquelme was quick to get on the ball and from his deft pass, Delgado turned the ball across and Lucio stuck out a long leg to intercept.

There was an early exhibition of Robinho’s ball trickery as Brazil responded. Ronaldinho hoisted a high free-kick towards Adriano but nothing materialised. However in the 11th minute came another demonstration of Adriano’s brute force and skill. After Cicinho had fed him a square pass the number nine beat one defender before unleashing another of those left-footed bombs to beat German Lux.

Delgado almost forced his way through from the restart. Argentina were clearly stung at so early a reverse and Riquelme was not far wide as he tried to bend one in the top corner. It soon got worse for them however as Brazil doubled their lead with another moment of pure class. Kaka received from Robinho and took careful aim from outside the penalty area, finding the top corner of Lux’s net.

Cascading rain, followed by bolts of thunder and lightning, made for a dramatic backdrop to the final and Brazil had made their own storming start. It was a mirror-image of the events in Buenos Aires exactly three weeks ago when Argentina had taken a 2-0 lead inside the first 20 minutes.

A Ronaldinho free-kick on 20 minutes almost had Gabriel Heinze heading into his own net. At the other end Riquelme was prompting effectively but Brazil always had enough men back. A great example was when Juan Sorin found some room on the edge of the area only for Lucio to fling himself in the way.

Moments later the Argentine captain was booked for a dive in the Brazilian area and the half ended with a flurry of goal action. Kaka and Lucio both worried Lux while Javier Zanetti poked a shot into the side netting.

Within two minutes of the restart Brazil put themselves out of reach with a third goal. It punished lax defending from their opponents as Cicinho was able to skip around Sorin’s challenge and from his cross Ronaldinho was more alert than Fabricio Coloccini as he pounced to score.

It nearly became four as Luciano Figueroa back-headed a Ronaldinho cross onto the roof of the net. It should have become 3-1 when a more positive header from Figueroa in the other penalty area set up Coloccini but the volley was way too high.

The Albiceleste had to push forward but that left them vulnerable to a team playing with great expression and freedom. Ronaldinho had all the room he wanted to set up Kaka but this time Lux was equal to it. The action came thick and fast at both ends. Riquelme shot hard and low and Sorin could not take advantage. Then Robinho twisted and turned before firing an attempt against the bar. Back at the other end Figueroa was granted a generous amount of space at the far post but he miscued and the chance went to waste.

Brazil were never so negligent with their opportunities and when in the 63rd minute Cicinho produced another accurate cross, Adriano accepted the invitation to put away a free header. A four-goal drubbing was nothing short of an embarrassment for Pekerman’s team but at least they regained a little self-respect two minutes later when Pablo Aimar, who had replaced Esteban Cambiasso, dived full length to bravely head home Delgado’s centre.

Sorin bounced a shot towards the far corner which Dida did well to claw away. From the corner the goalkeeper was lucky to escape a penalty decision after charging into the same opponent. Before that Adriano had stung Lux’s palms with another powerful drive while Lucio came close to turning in a fifth. Substitute Maicon hit the side-netting, Adriano almost arrived for a gilt-edged opportunity. It was oh so easy for the world champions and they fully deserved to get their hands on the trophy for a second time.

It is pathetic. Brazil needs to be stopped. What now? They have the world cup, American Cup or south American or whatever they call it. And now the Confeds cup. Brazil is turning the Schumacher of world football. They are really starting to bore me now. To be fair, their football tonight had a flair.

N.O.R.F   

Northerner who i am afraid defected to Cricket land

:D ignorance of other sports i am not. I even watch Golf! :cool:

The Aussies will wilt under pressure, the ashes are coming home.

As for the tennis, it had been surprisingly entertaining. The serve and volley game seams to be giving ground to flair and rallys. Rodick to beat Federer in the final!

The confeds cup was good entertainment, the Samba boys were on fire, but i dont think they will win next years World Cup, not strong enough at the back, minus Lucio and they will be struggling.

BOB   

Northerner,

we all know that the Ashes belong to the Aussies while England is the daily bread of Australia in any sport other than Football (forget about the fluke and one off win in the Rugby W.C Final) and for Golf don't tell me your favourite Golfer is Tiger Woods because it seems every person I come across is somehow Wood's number one fan, I once was when he was "the undisputed" king of Golf but now I am afraid everybody finally figured out how to beat him including a certain Michael Campbell, a kiwi of all people. icon_razz.gif

What a disaster and heartbreaking it was to witness the elimination of MY Maria Sharapova by Venus Williams.

:(

I am gutted and before the match I told a friend I wont watch the final if she lost (i really really believed Venus will be thrashed because Maria never lost to her)and now that she has, I must keep my word...besides what kind of final will it be when we all know that both Muresmo and Davenport have a lousy head to head record against the Williams sisters..as far as i am concerned its Venus' Wimbledon plus the fat cheque to LOSE.

PS. Brazil...it must be the easiest game they've ever played against Argentina..4-1 win over your fiercest isn't a THRASHING..that is called MAULING :D:D ..and I LOVED IT...bloody Argentina with their bloody dirty antics and rough tactics...Goofy Genius, You Are The Man ;) .

Peace,Love & Unity.

Intel   

Originally posted by BOB:

What a disaster and heartbreaking it was to witness the elimination of MY Maria Sharapova

ahh get a poster and get over it BOB..like me :D

i was rapt to see Williams play an absolutely stupendous tennis..SHE IS BACK, i assume she'd have no trouble against Mauresmo or Davenport

Layton Vs Federer should be a cracker

N.O.R.F   

Sharapova has been over confident all week and the british media's facination with her is over the top. I was hoping for Serena to win but Venus is my 2nd choice, they are both great athletes despite the talk of "they are not committed to tennis anymore". She blitz Sherapova away.

Todays mens semis should be good, hope the weather holds for the nex few days.

Bob, Tiger is the man, did you see that shot for the US PGA last month? :eek:

The Lions will make it 1-1 in the rugby with the Welsh flair set to be leashed on the All Blacks.

F1 was a farce in Indianapolis! :rolleyes:

World Athletics Championships are coming up!

Plus Liverpool vs Total Network Solutions in the CL 1st round :D

Viking   

Sharapova played well but Venus was having her best game ever! Man, I can still hear their screams a day after the game! :D It was really awkward.

rokko,

Hewitt was outclassed just as everyone (besides Oz's) thought he would. Fed went up a gear whenever he felt like it and Hewitt was left reeling! I was enjoying the Johansson-Roddick game but then came...Ladies nad gentlemen...the thing people dread the most at Wibledon. It doesn't matte who joins Fed in the finals, they are bound to be threashed in 3 str8 sets!

BOB,

This is the only time I saw the four attacking Brazilians play well together. Brazil did what Argentian did to them in Buenos Aires, they closed them down very quickly and launched a lightning attack.

PS: Is Adriano an alien? Damn, the power in that left leg dwarfs Roberto Carlos'.

BOB   

Viking,

What can I say Bro...it was simply MAGIC and I believe its also good for the game to see Brazil allowed to play their natural and free flowing attacking game..but I was expecting a bruising encounter because, to be honest..we all know how dirty Argentina plays whenever they meet Brazil as there is no other way they can ever stop the dancing feet of the samba boys... smile.gif

in fact I told my friends that either Ronaldinho or Adriano (if not both) might be sent off after being provoked by Heinze or Coloccini and Ronaldinho was lucky to avoid red card after he deliberately elbowed Colloccini (right in the face and in front of the ref) who in my opinion is the dirtiest player I have ever seen and I think you will all agree with me when I say he should've been sent off after he punched that poor Mexican player and left him needing few stitches on the head. (Viking, I can't believe Coloccini is an AC Milan player...what happened to Rossoneri's philosophy of the Beautiful Game?)

you are right on Venus playing her best game ever because you could tell in her post match celebration that she wasn't expecting to beat Sharapova..it was a DARK DAY for me and Rokko..i can tell you that. :(

Rokko,

LooooL@Poster...waraa why are you revealing our "little secret"? I thought we agreed on not to say a word about our obsession for Maria but since you already spilled the beans I guess its only fair that I should let the whole world know that we had a secret meeting somewhere in the outback of Australia where we tossed a coin on who will stalk her at Wimbledon and I won the toss and you had to settle for the second best and wait for your turn in NY at U.S Open but guess who I met in her locker room trying to nick her GOLD shoes? SoMa_InC..Yep..who confessed to me that he is the latest stalker of Serena Williams..loool. :D

Northerner don't worry Bro I know you and Viking are happily married so I wont go there as I am NOT a marriage wrecker. ;)

Peace,Love & Unity.