Sign in to follow this  
BN

Are Hargeisa Leaders Serious About Seccession?

BN   

1. The SNM(Somali National Movement) was never for seceeding from Somalia. That's why they weren't called the 'Somaliland National Movement'.

2. In 1991, Egal chaired the first Arta conference in Djibouti to form a new Somali government. This ultimately failed.

3. May 1991, Abdirahman Ahmed Ali (tuur), head of SNM, reluctantly declares Somaliland a seperate state. This was in reaction to the USC declaring itself the new Somali government and excluding all other groups.

After he resigns(1993) he condemned the seperation of Somalia and supported federalism(he still does today).

4. Mohamed Egal(Allaha u naxriisto) took over in 1993-2002. It was widely known that he was pro unity and was using the SL presidency as a stepping stone to Somalia president. The only thing missing was peace and stability in the south. He was almost impeached in 2001 for 'treason and obstructing justice'.

"The motion, also accusing Egal of usurping the powers of parliament and the judiciary and behaving unconstitutionally, was presented by 36 deputies of the breakaway region, which split unilaterally from the rest of Somalia in 1991.

The deputies have complained that Egal sacked High Court Judge Mohamed Hagi Said last year without consulting them, and cancelled several judgments handed down by the court.

They also accuse Egal of treason because, they say, some of his speeches have not been firm enough in their opposition to union with the rest of Somalia." LINK

"Egal is not working for the recognition of Somaliland. He is working for leading Somaliland and the international community back to the unity of Somalia," claims Mohammed Kahin, the only surviving founder-member of the Somaliland National Movement’s (SNM) military wing. "He wants now to be the man who once again establishes the union of Somalia ... despite all that political mess in the south."

Residents of Burao, the location of the 1991 conference that resulted in north-western Somalia unilaterally declaring itself an independent republic after the fall of dictator Siad Barre, offer their own evidence of his allegedly luke-warm attitude to independence: they point out that despite the town’s symbolic importance and the fact that it remains a nationalist hotbed, Egal has never set foot there." LINK

5. In 2002 Riyaale took office ; He seems to be the least competent of the three. His political views seem to a mystery and his focus seems to be on corruption(increasing it that is...).

But does he really want the seperation of the NW? Is he using this as a political stepping stone to bigger and better things? If the presidency of Somalia was handed to Riyaale(or even Siilanyo), could they resist the ultimate dream of all somali leaders? Or would their morals(or lack of), would force them to continue on their current course?

Do you think this inconsistant policy of sucessive hargeisa governments affect the goal of some for seperation?

Please, no emotional outbursts...

Muhammad   

Originally posted by Bari_Nomad:

But does he really want the seperation of the NW? Is he using this as a political stepping stone to bigger and better things? If the presidency of Somalia was handed to Riyaale(or even Siilanyo), could they resist the ultimate dream of all somali leaders? Or would their morals(or lack of), would force them to continue on their current course?

Do you think this inconsistant policy of sucessive hargeisa governments affect the goal of some for seperation?

Please, no emotional outbursts...

I hope some of the landers control their emotional outburts and debate with intellect.

now to answer your questions, I think in the beginning there was a sense, as you said,that this seccession was a political card for power bargain, mainly the presidency and the capital to be moved to Hargaisa, I think it was a clever move that might have worked for them early in the proccess. the problem I see know is that there are young-landers who have been radicalised with this vision of breaking away from the rest of somalia, whom they see as monsters and blood-thirsty war-mongers.

the elders and earlier political thinkers knew that if this vision of NW-breakaway was achieved it wouldn't mean success, in many ways, mainly economicaly, politicaly and security. today, with the emergence of these new radicals I think it is very likely that they would continue to pursue this, and I fear it might enevitablly come to some sort of armed conflict in the region.

I pray to Allah that it does not come to that and they use their conscience and realize that they will be nothing without their Somali brothers and no matter how much they have suffered, others have suffered with them and by putting yourself in a box is not the solution.

Gediid   

Bari and Conquest

I honestly feel that this topic has been debated time and again with no logical conclusion.By bringing this back at this time serves no purpose except to inflame the Somaliland/Somaliweyn camps which I might add has lately been sober in their emotional and outrageous outbursts.

Liqaye   

To the previous poster........

It is not often that i manage to finish reading your posts and i am the first to admit that i am personally at the moment suffering from extreme elation and bewilderment that i could go through one of you facile and specious arguments with out playing with my shoelaces and/or other parts of my vestments.

Having said that and quickly gone over my high i have to say that reading your article i see a first rate mind trying to argue a third rate argument, with forth rate manners.

Perhaps you find it amusing to call people nincompoops and such like it has done nothing but provide sound and fury for this and other posts of yours, that are not supported by facts.

As for your official recognition in november i will albeit calmly tell you it will not be southafrica, if you doubt my opinion I am here in capetown and intern with the foreign affairs comittee in the cape parliament, and if it is ethiopia you are deluded if you expect any thing but assurances from the habashi, they have their own hundred year old plan for somalia, and a tin pot state in the north is not one of them.

Indeed for them the international shunning of the somaliland cause is in their best intreast, all i can say is that the authorities in somaliland can prolong this 69 position with ethiopia and till atlantis is located.

Having been subjected on numerous times to your over long dissertations on why somaliland should be independent, i have only one question to ask you...why do you consisently fail to answer the question that is posed, indeed if you have such a need for all this phraseological prancing why dont you pm admin for a short story section....scincerely it must be a fetish with you.

To the begginer of the topic let me clear up some misconceptions.

1 Egal would have been just as happy throwing whiskey bottles out of the window in mogadishu, indeed he would have done so with much less scandal.

2 riyale has neither stature or true support appart from the fact that he isnt one of the Habroyiins, since the election of one of those would have led to a new bout of fighting (with 80 vote margin you bet)

3 money equals power ergo as long as major bussiness men in somaliland feel that a grey area like somaliland is more profitable than a united somalia we shall always have fellows like mr. oodweyne, culumnists who have nothing better but get inebriated by the exuberance of their own verbosity on these forums.

P.s I donot believe violence either verbal or otherwise is the answer people like Mr. Oodweyne will be outlasted and his ideas shall go to the wall smoking last cigarettes as stronger and more fundamental ideas morph and evolve.

Need i say it.

VIVA LA SOMALIE UNITE

Saalixa   

BLAH,,, BLAAH,,,BLAH

BLAH,,BLA BLAH

GET SUMTHING WORTH READING POSTER!i have encountered this same issue probably for doznes of times and it's making the political section of sol bloody BORING redface.gif

BN   

Originally posted by rayaana:

GET SUMTHING WORTH READING POSTER!i have encountered this same issue probably for doznes of times and it's making the political section of sol bloody
BORING

Dear rayaana,

LOL. *Sumthing* worth reading? May I suggest a good Oxford Dictionary to start? ;) If you have encountered this topic *for doznes* of times please give me the links. :D

Seriously, I have not seen this topic in the forum and wanted to get the views of others. Not to mention that there are always new members(such as conquest) who may have a new/different perspective on issues. If you feel you must attack a poster because you have different opinion(or agenda)--I suggest sticking to the other areas of this forum. Perhaps the 'Teen' section would be more suitable? icon_razz.gif

P.S. I'm *shocked* your SOL 'homepage' is SomalilandNet :rolleyes: Need I say more....

Saalixa   

bari nomad if you will look back at what i said you will see the word ISSUE, and not topic. how many times have you actually come across the same things said about SOMALILAND and ppl won't leave it alone it's like they are so in need of them that they continouesly keep commenting about thier affairs. Imean if you don't really care why brag on about somalilands independence and try to find out what its about now etc. Well what does that really prove? you really are jealous or somehow aad baad uga xumtahay it's independence. i think you are missing out on the fact that s/land was always by itself. when it got its independance it didnt get it from the italians like the south, it got it from the british and was a different nation.i know you gonna try to twist what i say but thats the truth.

The teens section? yeah maybe should i say how more civilized the teens are than the ppl that come to the political side of the sol. Atleast their ain't anything thats got to do with qabyalad. so brother don't think you sound so mature that you can tell me facts about sol and where to go.

YOUR SHOCKED? yeah i see your nick says Bari nomad and i ain't got a problem with it. i respect who ever regardless of where they come from. So sorry if i shocked you, hope you didnt actually go in a coma. And by the way, Iam from djibouti, i put it as my sol website for a while. SEE iam multicultural, i ain't rational making a big deal outa everything,,, it doesn't really matter what you have as a name or webpage or whatever,,, at the end of the day,,, u r what u r,,,salamz.