Sign in to follow this  
Haseena

Advice

Haseena   

Bismillah

Salamu Calaykum Wa Raxmatullah

I hope you're all in good spirits and good imaan, I would like to get some advice. I think this post ought to be in the students section but I rather post it here more comfortable in here smile.gif .

Last year I applied for Law school in the UK and I was offered a place at a university nearby, but then after some people advicing me saying maybe it's not good considering Islam etc and it got me thinking, so I changed to education and media. This year I have been doing Media and Education, not quite what I hoped for and I am feeling now that I should have taken law instead. I just called the university which offered me a place and I asked whether it was too late to submit an application and they just told me it wasn't.

Now my brothers and sisters, what would you advice me to do? Should I go for Law School or should I continue on this programme I am on now, I have already done a year and I have got two more to come. InshaAllah I’ll pray Istikhara, but I would like to get some advice firstly before taking any decision.

Baraka Allah fikom

Wa calaykum salam wa raxmatullah

i think you should study what your heart desires, learning is very much encrouched is our deen, is not what ur learn tat counts but how u practice it. studying Law is no differnt to studying Finance or even Media .. it jsut depends on how u accomodate it in your life to benefit yourself and ur people. At the end of ur education u may able to represent some Muslims accused wrongly, ur worldy knowlede of man made laws may just help them out.

Miriam1   

Go to law school and when your there join the Muslim Students Law Association, I know every law school here in toronto has one

Do what you want. Its a great cause. After all the muslim community needs people who understand the laws of the countries we live in, we all cannot shy away.

Go For It!!!

Nur   

Its important that you clarify your objective for stydying secular law. Your obejctive alone will determine the answer.

Nur

There are many different kinds of jobs you can do under Law, and as long as you know ur not intentionally doing something against Islam then there is no problem. Muslims should enter different fields and represent us as a community. It's only been a year for you...that's alright..don't do the mistake I did three years ago listening to what people said. I so regret it every single day.

Scarlet,

I'm gonna sue you for emotional harassment... that avatar of yours is giving me nightmares. Please change it or see you in court.

Haseena   

Bismillah

Wa Calaykum Salam Wa Raxmatullah

Baraka Allah fikoum brothers and sisters,

Jazaka Allah khair for all the advice.

Wa Calaykum Salam Wa Raxmatullah

-Lily-   

My sister studied law, she works in immigration and HELPS ppl. She would like to eventually get into either Family law, specifically children or Human Rights law, with specific reference to prisoner rights and so on. In both these areas her aim is to HELP. She hasn't come across anything which would lead her to compromise her faith so far. There is nothing wrong with studying law, maybe you can even do further study in islamic law later on. I know there are many 'Sharia complaint' law offices opening up all over the place in the UK (Muslim community), espcially in relation to doemstic voilence, divorce, wills etc.

I'm with everyone else you should consider going to law school. I always wanted to be an employment/labour lawyer because there is a great deal of marginalization in employment, and the BAR association is actively involved in introducing reformed laws that afford equal opportunity to women, minorities, those with disabilities etc. You shouldn't listen to people discouraging you for something they don't have complete knowledge over. As a matter of fact you should speak with muslims who went to law school. And like Jawahiir said we need to learn the laws of the countries we live in so Don't shy away.