Sign in to follow this  
ANTARA

How can we bring peace to Somalia?

ANTARA   

Somalis are more than capable of bringing about peace if they stopped asking for outside assistance. There are important lessons they can learn from each other’s history of the last 20 years.

We tend to disregard each other’s achievements just in case we might appear to be endorsing our “rival’s” political objectives. But Somali History can teach us a lot, just the same way the people of Mogadishu are teaching us daily about resilience in the face of unrelenting brutality and destruction. Similarly, Sayid Mohamed Abdullah Hassan taught us that we can say no to foreign aggression.

Eighty years later the Somali people in Somaliland demonstrated how peace can be brought about and how entire tribes could be made to trust each other and then be disarmed. This arduous peace building process was one in which almost all the Somali tribes whether they are those who reside in Djibouti, Awdal or sanaag and in between have played a role in. It’s a valuable lesson only if we can learn how to implement those lessons amidst the chaos that’s still raging in parts of the land.

The main obstacle to Somalis especially to those from the central and southern regions of Somalia is to devise a strategy to counter the unwanted outside interference. This task is even more daunting now that extremism is taking root not only in the physical sense but also in the collective psyche of the Somali masses.

This documentary was funded by an international aid agency and it’s based on research conducted by the Academy for Peace and development in Hargeisa.

So watch and ponder how chaos can be turned into order and how conflict can be transformed into peace.

P.S.

The videos are numbered wrongly in youtube, use above links.

the peace will come when every somali person understands that his future is in his hands (Although the emerging zonal administrations may negatively or positively diverge the dreams of the people)

"The quickest way to ending a war is to lose it"

George Orwell

Markaa Somali hadee dooniso nabad wexe isku dhiibi leheed Al Shabaab, ama ka hor TFG'da. Laakin wali runtii dagaal lagama daalin. markaa la daalo ayaa nabadu imanisa.

Ibtisam   

Every time I watch Somali TV I am so surprised and shocked at see peoples reaction to the war. While people in the west have given up and have nothing but sad predictions for the near future; People in Somalia act and speak like the situation is finishing ASAP. Full of hope and plans for the future. Yesterday there were people who having cleaned up the bodies from the bomb, were planning another day to clean the streets from the rubbish I was sitting there thinking what is the use in cleaning the rubbish from the street if the blood is running just as much, but I cannot be help admire their efforts and hope against all odds. Another women was saying she is building her house again for the 3rd time. For sure Allah has given them sabar and strength!!!

May allah have mercy on them and grant them their plans.

*Poster the Academy for Peace and development documented the journey in the northern areas to reach peace using old traditional methods. It worked in the north but I think there are far too many interest groups in Somalia for the simplicity of the bottom up idea to work. (will watch video later I'Allah)