Sign in to follow this  
Somali_Friend

ICU lost already to TFG 90% of territory had held a week ago

Somalia: War bulletin for December 26, 2006

Tue. December 26, 2006 10:46 am.

(SomaliNet) Federal government's deputy minister of defense said his forces are going to Mogadishu in an interview with BBC Somali section. Mr. Jelle was upbeat about the current situation and the Islamic Courts’ unprecedented fast retreat from all fronts of the war in central and southern parts of Somalia.

A spokesman for the African Union told BBC Ethiopia has every right to defend its sovereignty and nodded Ethiopian military actions in Somalia. He blamed African Union of being slow on what was necessary to restrain Ethiopia from taking unilateral action.

An Arab League spokesman told Al-Jazeera TV that his organization would like all hostilities to stop and warring parties to respect the binding agreements they signed before world community. He said Somalia doesn’t need outside intervention and Ethiopia must leave Somalia.

The Islamic Courts had their largest retreat today and abandoned Burhaka in Bay province and Bulo-Burte in Hiran. In the course of the last two days, the courts left completely Mudug, Galgadud, Hiran, Bay, and Bakool provinces. They are now clinging on to Middle Shabelle which may fall in the next one or two days. In other words, the courts lost over ninety percent of the land they occupied a week ago.

The government side says the courts are being cornered but defiant courts told the world that the real war which will last many years just begun and they are leaving cities and towns for important strategic tactics.

Say hi to guerrilla war - Somalia version: The courts said repeatedly that their new form of Jihad will be hit and run and other guerrilla tactics like Afghanistan and Iraq. Afghani Talibans were chased from power more than five years ago. However, they are still strong and damaging. The Islamic Courts are adapting this strategy in hopes of defeating Somalia Ethiopia governments slowly. Time will tell if this formula will work in Somalia.

News Category: Somalia

Originally posted by Somali_Friend:

The Islamic Courts had their largest retreat today and abandoned Burhaka in Bay province and Bulo-Burte in Hiran. In the course of the last two days, the courts left completely Mudug, Galgadud, Hiran, Bay, and Bakool provinces. They are now clinging on to Middle Shabelle which may fall in the next one or two days. In other words, the courts lost over ninety percent of the land they occupied a week ago.

News Category: Somalia

The speed is beathtaking.

The TFG must have one secret weapon. Special operations deep deep in ICU territory. Thats the only way such speed can be attained and make the ICU dumbfounded.

Peacenow   

Somali_Friend. You may or may not know, my thoughts on the ICU. Ihave said here before what I think of them. But this is where my Somali patroit comes in. II don't want them to be defeated either.

Just hurt enough, cause I dont agree with a taliban state.

Anyway, I dont think in the long term Ethiopia will win either, there will be many battles ahead. Somalis are hardened now to fighting.

Originally posted by peacenow:

Somali_Friend. You may or may not know, my thoughts on the ICU. Ihave said here before what I think of them. But this is where my Somali patroit comes in. II don't want them to be defeated either.

Just hurt enough, cause I dont agree with a taliban state.

Anyway, I dont think in the long term Ethiopia will win either, there will be many battles ahead. Somalis are hardened now to fighting.

Please don't misunderstand me. Humiliating the vanguished is not our culture and the TFG is more astute than you folks give it credit.

I will post PM Meles interview and you will see why.

Don't forget that when it comes to somali pride president Abdullahi Yusuf will stand behind no body. Please learn how the military operations are being conducted.

Not the battles, but the strategy and handling of the public is absolutely high culture.

Never forget that about 10% of ethiopia's population is ethnic somali. The people in somalia south can speak their language.

Actually its ICU soldiers most of them that don't know somalia.

The best thing for ICU leadership now is for them to dismantle and abandon this Seef Labood and clan-based courts and then to engage and participate the political process in Somalia and to unite Somalis under true Islamic banner in a non-violent way. I believe if they choose that way (wise way), they can regain power quickly with the blessing of the Somali people.

IA, towfiiqda Allaha nawafajiyo!

allmanga easier said then done both sides have to make it deal. one question though what would happen to somaliland they are not like south who have hudreds of clans that can't get along how would they be part of the tfg

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Allamagan:

The best thing for ICU leadership now is for them to dismantle and abandon this Seef Labood and clan-based courts and then to engage and participate the political process in Somalia and to unite Somalis under true Islamic banner in a non-violent way. I believe if they choose that way (wise way), they can regain power quickly with the blessing of the Somali people.

IA, towfiiqda Allaha nawafajiyo!

I agree. One thing, Somalis will unite under is religion. The TFG should embrace religion to some degree. A conservative state is better than a taliban state.

NASSIR   

The Security Council has held now an emergency meeting on Somalia on ways to bring an end to the war and establish a popular legitimate government after the transitional government's mandate ends.

I would have greatly hailed as success if the Security Council set a mandate on the withdrawal of Ethiopian troops right after the capital is secured.

Another important item on this action plan is to let IGAD troops come in and boost the allied powers.

The TFG is more astute and brilliant than people give it credit.

There hasn't been situation where ethiopian forces are more than Somalia's.

On the contrary ICU had more foreigners than somalians.

Ethiopian forces have never entered any town or city. Some commanders (I am sure they are somali)have entered along with TFG commanders to see forthemselves how the people are doing.

Its so brilliant.

NASSIR   

Somali Friend, the media has had an effect on the people's thinking, esp Somalis' sound thinking, an attribute often associated with us based on our oral tradition. The BBC Somali service, which is nothing but a clannist media, hypnotized the population into believing the Islamic courts was the legitimate power after the people, but it wasn't. And news articles had it they the Islamist had used brute force to coerce any uprising against their imposed rule.

Originally posted by General Duke:

^^^Camir, the BBC is starting to chnage its tune a little. Thouhg we need an alternative to this servive in the near to medium future.

VOA amharic was the same for ethiopia. It almost was calling for ethnic strife. Now it has been defeated and ignored.

BBC Somali will follow the same.

Originally posted by Caamir:

The BBC Somali service, which is nothing but a clannist media, hypnotized the population into believing the Islamic courts was the legitimate power after the people, but it wasn't.

Caamir,

Good to see you here. I hope for the sake of the innocents in Mugadishu the war ends as fast as it did so far.

In our culture we celebrate for end of war more than victory. We have civil wars in the past where the victor and the vanguished celebrated together.

BBC Somali for you is equivalent to VOA Amharic for us. Sometimes it makes you wonder what the purpose is, but its not our money.