Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

What became of Tolerance in Islam?

Great article I found...wanted to share. smile.gif

The image of Islam in the modern world is one of intolerance and violence. It is considered a faith followed only by fanatical bedoins and terrorists and is generally regarded as an outdated concept of life.

However, even a cursory study of Islam is enough to show that the current world view on this faith is far removed from the truth.

The Holy Quraan

Intolerance cannot be ascribed to a book which altogether excludes com-pulsion from the sphere of religion.

Acceptance of previous religions

As to the view that Islam is a totally different religion as compared to Christianity and Judaism, the religions of currently the most civilized regions on Earth. The belief that it (Islam) advocates a social setup contrary to the principles of peace, freedom and justice as are given by Judaism and Christianity, is again far from the truth.

The Holy Quraan is the only religious scripture that requires a belief not only in its own truth but also in the truth of previous scriptures delivered to prophets of different nations.

"And those who believe in that which was revealed to thee and that which was revealed before thee." (2 4)

Thus the Holy Quraan accepts the truth of the sacred books of the world, and hence it is again and again spoken of as a book verifying that which is before it. The basis of the relation in which the Holy Quraan stands to other scriptures is that they are all members of one family, they all have a divine origin. Again it says, "Say: We believe in Allah and in that which has been revealed to us and in that which was revealed to Abraham and Ishamil and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes and in that which was given to Moses and Jesus and in that which was given to the prophets from their Lord and we do not make any distinction between any of them and to Him do we submit." (2:1 76)

The level of universal tolerance of Islam is evident from the above Ayat which shows that Muslims believe in all that the Lord has revealed to all of his prophets anywhere in the world.

Respect for other religions

Even in the case of religious houses of worship the Holy Quraan specifically mentions that the Muslims are not to harm any places of worship not only of the Jews and Christians, but even idol worshippers and they are to respect their beliefs .

"And abuse not those whom they call upon besides Allah, lest exceeding the limits they abuse Allah through ignorance" (6:108)

The Ayat clearly stops Muslims from even criticising the beliefs of others let alone harming their places of worship .

Fighting Non Muslims only for Defense

Muslims have been allowed to fight against others by Allah, but not to compel the unbelievers to accept Islam as is generally believed, but to establish religious freedom, to stop all persecution and to protect the houses of worship of an religions.

"Permission to fight is given to those upon whom war is made because they are oppressed, and Allah is well able to assist them; those who have been expelled from their homes without a just cause except that they say our Lord is Allah." (22:S9.40)

The Holy Quraan therefore allows fighting only to save a persecuted community, and hence the condition was laid down that fighting was to be stopped as soon as persecution ceased.

Good social relations with non-Muslims

"This day all good things are made lawful for you. And the food of those who have been given the Book is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And so are the chaste from among the believing women and the chaste from among those who have been given the Book before you". (5:5)

It is asserted by some that Islam forbids relations of friendship with the followers of other religions. How can a religion which even permits marriage with people of other faiths forbid friendly relations with them? There can be nothing closer and more friendly than marriage and if that is permitted between people of two different religions, there is no reason to suppose that other friendly relations with non-Muslims are forbidden. Again in reference to non-Muslims the Holy Quraan says, "Show them kindness and deal with them justly; for Allah loves the doers of justice"

"And if any one of the idolaters seek thy protection, protect him till he hears the words of Allah, then convey him to his place of safety." (9:6)

Equal political and legal status for non-Muslims

"And all people are but a single nation." fl O:I 9)

The above quote from the Holy Quraan is but ample evidence that Islam considers the people of the world as one nation and equal to each other in every respect.

"Surely Allah commands you to make over trusts to those worthy of them and that when you judge between people, you judge with justice." (4:58)

The above Ayat shows that Allah wants equal justice for all and not just for Muslims alone .

This is in reference to the functioning of the justice system of an Islamic state. According to the Holy Quraan the non-Muslims residing in a Muslim society may be judged by the laws given in their own books and scriptures, and they do not have to abide by Islamic laws which apply to Muslims.

There are other Ayaah in the Holy Quraan which affirm this.

Thus according to the enlightened and liberal principles of Islam, non-Muslims are not only equal in every respect to Muslims in an Islamic state but they do not even have to abide by laws which apply to Muslim citizens and may follow the code given in their own scriptures without restrictions.

Action determines Hereafter

"Surely those who believe and those who are Jews and the Sabeans and the Christians— Whoever believes in Allah and the Day of Judgment and does good—they shall have no fear nor shall they grieve."

The above Ayat clearly refutes the generally held belief by most illiterate and even some educated Muslims that only they (the Muslims) shall go to heaven and the people of other faiths shall be punished for their beliefs.

The Holy Quraan clearly states that doing good to others is very important and will determine a person's reward in the Hereafter. It is the person's actions in this world and the intention behind them which de-termine his or her reward in the Hereafter.

"And every soul shall be fully paid what it has earned and they shall not be wronged." (3:24)

Thus every person is responsible for his or her own self and the deeds of each person in this world will determine their reward in the Hereafter and not the faith they professed to belong too . None are dealt with unjustly by Allah, be they Muslims or non-Muslims.

The tolerance of the Holy Prophet (Sallallaho alai/e wa'alehi wasallam)

preached like his glorious predecessors, the message of universal truth, and announced a common platform for spiritual amity and religious unity. The offer of cooperation was extended to 'all lovers of truth' and worshippers of Allah. Unity of Allah is the foundation stone of true religion. The Holy Prophet (SAW) preached Unity dauntlessly against severe opposi-tion and hostility and along with the 'Unity of Allah. he stressed upon the 'Unity of the human race . He called mankind 'the family of Allah'.

There are several incidents which testify to the prophets tolerant attitude towards non-Muslims.

Tolerance during preaching of Islam

When the Holy Prophet (SAW) began preaching Islam, he met the strongest opposition from all the tribes and clans of Makkah. He and his followers were made to suffer all kinds of cruelties and discrimination . Once he was requested to arouse Allah's anger on the polytheists. but he refused politely and said, I am not an ill wisher; I have been sent only for mercy.'

The Muslims today

Today the Muslim nations of the world are in the grip of intolerance and violence. Governments religious groups and even common people support narrow minded views against not only non-Muslim and foreign culture. but also against different sects that have grown up within Islam .

Learning about other religions and visiting their places of worship is considered highly inappropriate. The clergy constantly inform the faithful that they are the only one's who shall enter paradise, while all the non-Muslims will burn in hell without making an attempt to study what Islam preaches about this issue.

Re-Learning Islam

True many Muslims today still retain the qualities of tolerance and generosity towards all people of different faiths, culture and races. But these are mostly a part of the small educated minorities that exist among the vast illiterate populations of most Muslim nations of the twentieth century.

To face the challenges of the next century which is definitely going to be a truly global century, Muslims all over the world not only have to learn to live together, but they also have to learn to live with others in the most amiable and tolerant ways possible. There is no place for isolationism and narrow mindedness in the global village of the 21st century.

To survive in this bold new world the Muslims need to relearn the mes-sage of Islam and to review their own history, both of which contain the answers for a successful future

Good stuff. I was gonna quote something but its all good stuff walee.

P.S. Did you start this thread in response to a certain Seef-la-Bood gentleman on SOL? Jus curious..

^I stand on the fifth! ;)

Are you trying to get me into trouble Wind Talker? :D

Jus curious..

Curiosity killed the cat havent you heard? icon_razz.gif

Seriouly, am surprised at the level of ignorance I have to face on a daily basis. People think they know the Quran and preach about Islam, when they are actually stating their opinions.

:D Walaahi waan qoslay, waxkale maaha FF markeey igu daashay bey dagaal kale igu furtay, its upto me whether I should post something that implies the idiotism for those who blindly follow the concepts of western norms and values, at least from Islamic perspectives. Hmm. nevermind, I am going to exchange with my sister. Anyway, thanks for drawing me a laughter, indeed.

Wind Talker,

Yeah, Am still the very same Seef-la-bood, call me argagixiye, if you wish. But don't complain if I touch some nerves by speaking about the truth under the sycophants. lol :D

^^

Mr Seef-la-Bood

What's this "truth" you speak of? I haven't called you a liar, yet..I won't call you "argagaxiye" because you're all talk! :D

Besides, you forgot to give props to the article. And isn't "dagaal" the only way you see fit to fulfill your world vision?

FF -

You've arleady answered my Q, thankis!