Sign in to follow this  
Biixi

My First Post/Question

Biixi   

Asalaamu Calaykum

Greatings to all the brothers and the sisters that spend to much time and energy in Allah's cause, may your efforts be rewarded. I'm confused about something that I heard at the masjid this past friday qudbah, and that is IKHLAAS. I understood the jist of it, but I would like more clarrification from you that know more than I.

How does showing off fit into this, if at all? Will it be showing if you tell someone about your good deeds? Do you have to conceal your deeds from your friends and family?

Jazaakallaah!

Haneefah   

Wa Alaikumu Salam Brother. Welcome to SOL! I hope you enjoy your stay here and contribute positively Insha'Allah smile.gif

I will try to answer your questions in the best of my knowledge Insha'Allah. Ikhlaas is basically the Arabic word for sincerity: With respect to the deen, it means being sincere in your act of obedience or worship to ALLAH (SWT). Therefore, it's an essential component of one's Islam, Iman, and Ihsaan. As you know, actions are judged according to their intention, thus, one is rewarded for a specific action depending on the level of ikhlaas in their heart. Complete Ikhlaas (the greatest level) is when you perform an act of ibaadah with the intention of pleasing none other than Allah (swt), ie. for His sake alone. Hence why it's extremely vital that we possess ikhlaas in our hearts when worshipping Allah (SWT) so that our deeds can be accepted and rewarded. Also, Allah (swt) mentions in the Qur'an the Mukhlisin (those who possess Ikhlas) countless times and the glad tidings they will receive in this dunya and that which awaits them in the hereafter.

On the contrary, 'showing off' which is called Riyaa in the arabic language, is completely the opposite of Ikhlaas. This occurs as a result of lacking ikhlaas in the heart and therefore, one performs his deeds/actions for other than Allah's (SWT) sake. For Instance, praying, giving zakat, helping the poor, sharing your knowledge all for the sake of being validated and praised by others; to gain honour, status etc. Wal Ciyaadu Billah, this is indeed one of the most dangerous diseases of the heart that believers can be afflicted with; and it can easily enter the hearts that lack immunity against it (Ikhlaas, Imaan). To emphasize how dangerous this disease is, our beloved prophet (SAW) warned us of it numerous times and even called it a minor/hidden shirk. This is because, instead of performing ibaadah for the sake of your creator, The One who has the right to it, you equate His own slaves with Him and do it to please them and your own lower nafs (ego) for pleasure of praise and such.

So that's how the two concepts are related, and I believe your Imam might have been alluding to how crucial Ikhlaas is in our ibaadah and how dangerous the lack of it can be, in that it would make our hearts susceptible to horrible diseases such as al-riyaa.

As for telling others about your good deeds, again, it depends on the intention behind your telling: If you do so in hopes of motivating others and encouraging them to follow your good deeds, then I believe it should be ok. If however you do so to merely illustrate how great and righteous you are and so on, ie to have others speak highly of you, then that's when it becomes a minor shirk. It's always good to be discreet about your good deeds esp. your deeds of ihsaan, in order to gain full thawaab for them; there's just such a thin line between telling it out of goodness and being influenced by shaytan in which case it turns into a boasting matter. I'm sure you've heard of the hadeeth that states the seven types of ppl who will be receiving the shade of Allah's throne on yoomul qiyaamah, and how one of them will the one who gave out with his right hand whilst his left hand was unaware (in other words, he who never admitted what he had done for others, even to himself). So imho, I'd be cautious about this and really reflect on the reason behind you wanting to tell, if there are any at all. And Allah knows best and He alone truly knows what's in the heart of mankind.

I pray that Allah (SWT) increases us in sincerity, Iman and fear/consciousness of Him. I also pray that He purifies our hearts and protects us from shaytan and the diseases of the heart. Ameen

Here is an article from a book called: Riyaa: The Hidden Shirk by Yasir al-Qathi (a great shaikh/lecturer).

Bixii,

First, welcome to Sol. Second, nothing wrong with flashing your goods/achievements... you worked for them or were blessed with them, not much sense shying from pride in them, is there? You only got to live this life just once, make it worthwhile one.

And don't listen to Abraar, she's usually clueless and confused about everything. A common characteristic of Funnyhats. Listen to me instead. I have obtained advanced degress and citations from Azhar university among others in Quranic/Hadiith exegesis and hermeneutics as well as presently lecturing as distinguished contributor at Mickey Mouse University.

Now, THAT is one helluva impressive credentials, wouldn't you say? I say yeah!

Biixi   

Asalaamu Calaykum

Jazaakallaah Abraar. You writing was very helpful to me, may Allah reward you for your effort. Also, thanks for the link...

"Aboo Hurayrah quoted Allah's Messenger (saaw) as saying: "Allaah, Most Great and Glorious said: Pride is My cloak, and greatness is My robe, so whoever competes with Me, with respect to either of them, I shall cast him into Hell" (Saheeh Muslim, vol. 4 #6349, Sunan Aboo Dawood, vol. 3 #4079)

May Allah guide us all.