Sign in to follow this  
Meiji

Interesting argument brought forward by ONLF leader for the name of the region

Mutual mistrust, lack of communication and unholy pride means assumptions reign supreme. Hardly analytical and sophisticated, yet superficially Islamic, that is our predicament!

Interestingly enough, divine forces seems, here too, to mitigate what would have otherwise been a totally hopeless scenario, while always protecting us from the worst (imagine our lands with the South-Africa appealing geography attracting widespread colonial settlement)...

This is crazy!

The fact that some people would deny help to their Somali brethren because they belong to an organization and live in a region named after a certain clan is MIND-BOGGLING.

Furthermore, you think that a name change is going to change the organization and make it more "clan neutral"? If you hate the taste of root beer and its name was changed to "heaven water" would you start drinking it?

If the fact that the region and the organization are dominated by one clan which is not yours, is stopping you from helping your brethren, FINE! Just stick to your corner and stop whining.

But this attitude does speak volumes about the shitty state Somalia is in today.

Abu Salman:

Hadeydan dagaal la galaynin hohe difaacooda

Hantaaqa xumidiyo hinaasaha qabiil, ha ugu heesin

Nin uu ingiriis iyo fransiis gumeystey qalbad la'aanta waan ku ogaaye. Horta xagee lagaaga adimey adigu.

Sheeko gaaba:

Meesha la yiraahdo buur hakaba ayaa hada ka hor waxaa layiri niman afar jeeblayaal ahbaa yimid, oo beeshii meesha deganeyd ayay u qudbadeeyeen. Waxay yiraahdeen waxaa idiin soo socda gudi dowlada ka socda, iyo gawaari. Waxay guranayaan dahabka buurta dusha iyo gudahaba ceegaaga.

Intii ugu aqoonta rooneydbaa kacdey oo tiri buurtaan nin aan reer hebel ahayn ma guran doono.

Oday miskiin ah ayaa soo booday, oo wuxuu yiri "war heedhahaya, meeshani aniga iyo awawgey iyo awawgiiba waan ku dhalaney, oo waan ku nooleyn oo xoolaan ku raacayey taniyo markaan wiilka ahaa, waligeyna ma arag wax dahab ah oo hoos iyo korba saaran. Maynu dadkan soo dhaweyno, oo marka hore dahabka aan arki weyney hana tusaan".

Marka hore halganka arag, difaaca lasoo gal. Kadib ka dood in dhulka aad u wada dhimanaysaan aad kawada hadashaan magaca in laga badalo. Nin aan xornimada taageereynin, oo aan dhimashada ogoleyn, sideebuu ugu gorgortamaa in magaca la badalo Jabhadii dagaalamaysay!

Hadii ay dhab idinka tahay wanaaga iyo Islaanimada aad sheeganeysaan, difaaca ay ku jiraan ayaad kasoo qeyb gali lahaydeen, ama xinka ayaad ka deyn lahaydeen. Halka aad u kala dhuumaneysaan gumaystaha....

Marka saaxiib, ninkii raba inuu dalka la difaaco ****'ska, yaanu kusoo dhuuman marmarsiinyo kale. :D

[ October 30, 2009, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Originally posted by Koora-Tuunshe:

Marka hore halganka arag, difaaca lasoo gal. Kadib ka dood in dhulka aad u wada dhimanaysaan aad kawada hadashaan magaca in laga badalo. Nin aan xornimada taageereynin, oo aan dhimashada ogoleyn, sideebuu ugu gorgortamaa in magaca la badalo Jabhadii dagaalamaysay!

..and

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

...If you hate the taste of root beer and its name was changed to "heaven water" would you start drinking it?

If the fact that the region and the organization are dominated by one clan which is not yours, is stopping you from helping your brethren, FINE! Just stick to your corner and stop whining.

PERIOD!!

Even if the goddamn name changed ppl like Meije would still try to find other excuseses for not supporting this ongoing struggle against the enemy. Cajiib!!

Raamsade   

The fact that some people would deny help to their Somali brethren because they belong to an organization and live in a region named after a certain clan is MIND-BOGGLING.

You're woefully misinformed about the reality in Somalia. The ONLF is clan supremacist rebel movement among the sea of ethnic rebel movements all across Africa. Not too different from erstwhile clan supremacist Somali rebel movements like USC, SNM, SSDF etc.

The ONLF is virtually a single clan movement striving to exert the superiority of its clan over all others and not fighting for the welfare and interests of all Somalis in Western Somalia. This is why almost all of those in diaspora who fervently advocate for ONLF cause are of a single clan. This is why the so-called "ONLF struggle against Melez" in Western Somalia is taking place in regions inhabited by a single clan. Are other Somalis and non-Somalis in Western Somalia not capable of feeling oppressed and picking up the gun and fighting the evil xabashi? Of course they can but those imbued with superiority complex feel otherwise.

The sheer incompetence of the ONLF is manifest in their inability to articulate their objective(s). To this day the ONLF can't give straight answer as to what it is fighting for. Is it fighting for: (1) more autonomy within Ethiopian State, (2) independent state called **** or what have you, or (3) join Somali republic?

Now, it is possible that innocent people from the ONLF clan may be caught up in the dragnet during operations to sweep up ONLF agents and supporters who use the relative safety and anonymity offered by Somali towns inside the borders of Somali republic to wage war against Ethiopia. All this hoopla about ONLF clan being targeted is hot air. I mean since when did a one or few individuals being handed over (if such thing ever occurred) to Ethiopia ever constitute an entire clan being discriminated against. And if a single clan is being discriminated against, whose fault is it?

Anyways, the crux of the matter is this: the ONLF is waging a war to overthrow the Ethiopian government and break-up the Ethiopian state. This war is taking place in territory both within Ethiopia and Somali Republic. No state with the wherewithal to counter such threat would and is expected to tolerate existential dangers to materialize within the borders of its neighbors. ONLF is using Somalia proper territories means Ethiopia invading these regions like it already does. The ONLF wants to burn its house and that of Somalis in Somalia. It's not in the enlightened self-interest of any Somali living in Somalia proper to see his house burnt by the thoughtless actions of someone else. If people are handing over ONLF agents to Ethiopia it is merely to preserve their homes from being set on fire.

[ October 30, 2009, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

What is mentioning of qabiil names lately on here? Do some members think the rules are loosened?

Mentioning qabiil names is explicitly against the rules. I can't stress this enough. Stating or writing a stand-alone letter standing in place for the full qabiil word -- it is still the same and breaking the rule.

I won't edit hence. I have tried to edit. I won't edit from now on. Waste your time and mine as well mentioning qabiil names. Posts and threads will be removed altogether now.

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

What is mentioning of qabiil names lately on here? Do some members think the rules are loosened?

Mentioning qabiil names is explicitly against the rules. I can't stress this enough. Stating or writing a stand-alone letter standing in place for the full qabiil word -- it is still the same and breaking the rule.

I won't edit hence. I have tried to edit. I won't edit from now on. Waste your time and mine as well mentioning qabiil names. Posts and threads will be removed altogether now.

waxay i xasuusinayaan kuwii layiri ka fogaada khamriga oo intay ka f******** tuubo ku soo dhuuqay oo yiri waa ka fogaanay qabiil is our blood MMA

Xaraarad qabato u maleynaa, oo qaarkood magacyada qabiilada ku dhex dabaalanoyaan oo ismaba oga, mana iska warqabaan filaa. Runtii waa u dulqaatay, now marmarsiyo waxee ka dhiganayaan the organization is called ONLF. Well, it is ONLF. No need to name the first noun of qabiil name in the acronym. Same as RRA. Simple as that.

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by Raamsade:

The sheer incompetence of the ONLF is manifest in their inability to articulate their objective(s). To this day the ONLF can't give straight answer as to what it is fighting for. Is it fighting for: (1) more autonomy within Ethiopian State, (2) independent state called **** or what have you, or (3) join Somali republic?

Been baad sheegtay Raamsade (don't mindthe rudeness but it is true). The ONLF has made its objectives clear at every opportunity. It is fighting for self-determination of the somaligalbeed people. It is for the people to choose what they want when they have the opportunity to determine what they want. Simple as that. Shacabka ayey u taalaa! By the way, why do you add number 1? I thought people ask 2 and 3 usually!!

Ta labaad, adigu dadka laga xoroobi ayaad ku jirtaa (I mean Gaalada), kolkaa bal horta inta muslinka ah baal aan meel wax isla dhigno! :D:D

The big minds of SOL Xinnfanin, Paragon and Koora Tuunshe all articulated the issue with the name and the motivations of those who make it a big issue.

On behalf of naftii-hurayaasha ONLF and the supporters here in SOL, I would like to say THANK You for educating the uninitiated and the wilfully ignorant.

I also would like to add that the name shall be changed in the not-so-distant future (insha-allah) and the falsehoods surrounding the issue will be revealed to all.

BiLaaL   

This is crazy!

Furthermore, you think that a name change is going to change the organization and make it more "clan neutral"? If you hate the taste of root beer and its name was changed to "heaven water" would you start drinking it?

But this attitude does speak volumes about the shitty state Somalia is in today.

Three pages worth of replies and the only worthy, logical contribution comes from a non-Somali! Need I say more? Sombre :(

Meiji   

Sherban Shabeel and Allamegon,

This topic is a reaction to a silly and inconsistent argument brought forward by the leader of ONLF.

I oppose his argument and showed the inconsistency in it. It is up to those who disagree with me to bring forward their argument.

On a last note,

Those that want to keep the ''O'' name should not hide behind the liberation struggle because other rebel movements that are more inclusive and not clan-based are active too.

One can oppose the clan element in the struggle without opposing the liberation struggle.

Lets hope that those who want to liberate the region will rise above clan and understand the true nature of the situation: Not 1 clan is occupied, Not 1 nation is occupied but multiple clans and nations (Oromo/Somali/Afar etc).

Meiji   

Originally posted by Koora-Tuunshe:

I firmly believe that the name should stay the same even when liberated. Those who debate about the name change are just playing Qabiil Card. The name has nothing to do with Tribalism. It is the same thing as the following:

-Malaysia was named after the Malay tribe, becouse they are the majority in Malaysia.

-The capital of Wyoming “Cheyenne” was named after the Cheyenne Tribe.

-Paris- was named after the tribe who found it----Parisii of Gallic tribe.

The list can go on and on…

Aduunyada waxaa jira xitaa wadamo loogu magac darey shaqsiyaad…. Qabyaalada iska daaya oo taageera the ONLF struggle. Ama marmarsiinyada iska daaya. Shaqsiyaadka waxaa ka mid ah:

-Angola was named after a person------Ngola Kiluanje

-America was named after-------------Amerigo Vespucci

-Musambique was named after-------------Musa Mbiki

The European colonists who aided the Ethiopian colonization of Somali Galbeed created that name, should we accept that along with the fact that the region is under Ethiopian occupation for more than a half century?

NO!

You can not accept one Imperial construction (the name for the region) and oppose the other imperial construction (the region been part of Ethiopia).

Abtigiis   

You are putting the cart before the horse, dear meiji. Iska daji. Let us agree clan so and so is fighting. Maxaa iyaga kugu mashquuliyey? Is it an admission you can't do anything without them??????

Bal cidda kale ee wax ka maqan yihiin, urur rer-hebel ah ha samaysato oo dhankeeda halgan haka gasho. And then we talk of forming an umbrella organisation.

If all that is said here is not still clearing your head by way of giving you all the various rationales and dimensions of this issue, then It is perhaps a case of 'the cry is bigger than the goat' methapor.

EDIT:- Meiji, I am amazed by your logic. Is it coming because of sheer stu.pidity or out of genuine confusion? The name Ethiopia is there and no one is denying it too. But to accept it or not is for the people and they are saying they don't want it. Your argument is difficult to follow.

Buuxo   

Originally posted by Meiji:

Lastly,

On the long run, the ONLF will lose out to other liberation organizations (run by Somalis) that are more inclusive and consistent in their ideology. I would not be surprised if Alshabab-kinda groups emerged in Somali Galbeed who would rally larger support from various Somali groups.

All in All,

ONLF is conducting a superb armed resistance struggle. I and all sane Somalis support that just war to liberate Somali lands that are under Ethiopian occupation. Let us now find a solution to the fundamental question of:

'' How can we make the liberation struggle Somali-wide and develop a broad Somali-based ideology that will attract mass support''

The trend of every clan/subclan making its own liberation front will undermine us all, and aid the Ethiopian colonizer.

Well said.qabiil is a cheap way of rallying support for any cause.

Paragon   

AT&T, sxb one doesn't have to go far to sense the discomfort of some to have the 'name' used to describe a Somali region.

Just look at SOL's moderating. :D