Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Can you be as shy as him?

Ms DD   

The Shyness Of ‘Uthmaan Bin ‘Affaan

radiyallaahu ‘anhu

Al-Hasan al-Basree mentioned ‘Uthmaan and his intense modesty, saying: “He would be in a house with the door closed, and he would not take off his garment in order to pour water on himself, and modesty would prevent him from standing up straight.” [“Saheeh at-Tawtheeq”]

‘Aa’ishah narrated that one day Aboo Bakr asked for permission to enter upon the Messenger of Allaah when he was lying down on his bed, wrapping himself in the cover of ‘Aa’ishah. He gave permission to Aboo Bakr to enter when he was like that, and he fulfilled his need then went away.

Then ‘Umar asked for permission to enter and he gave him permission to enter when he was like that, and he fulfilled his need then he went away.

‘Uthmaan then asked for permission to enter and he sat up, and said to ‘Aa’ishah, “Cover yourself properly.” ‘Uthmaan fulfilled his need then went away.

‘Aa’ishah said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why did I not see you stirring for Aboo Bakr and ‘Umar as you did for ‘Uthmaan?”

The Messenger of Allaah said, “‘Uthmaan is a shy man, and I was afraid that if I gave him permission to enter when I was in that state, he would not tell me of his need.”

[saheeh Muslim: 2402]

ne day the Messenger of Allaah was lying down in his house with his thigh or shin uncovered. Aboo Bakr asked for permission to enter and he let him in whilst he was in that state, and he spoke to him.

Then ‘Umar asked for permission to enter and he let him in whilst he was in that state, and he spoke to him.

Then ‘Uthmaan asked for permission to enter and the Messenger of Allaah sat up and straightened his garment and he came in, and he spoke to him.

When he left ‘Aa’ishah said, “Aboo Bakr came in and you did not stir for him or pay too much attention, and ‘Umar came in and you did not stir for him or pay too much attention, then ‘Uthmaan came in and you sat up and straightened your garment.”

He said, “Should I not feel shy before a man whom the angels feel shy from?”

[saheeh Muslim: 2401]

Al-Mannaawee said: “The main characteristic of ‘Uthmaan is modesty, and modesty results from great respect for the One Who is looking at him as well as awareness of some faults that he can see in himself. It is as if he was overwhelmed by the Glory of Allaah and saw in himself some faults and shortcomings. These are the lofty qualities of those who are close to Allaah. Thus ‘Uthmaan was raised in status, so the chosen one of Allaah’s creation [the Messenger of Allaah(sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)] felt a sense of modesty and shyness before him, just as the one who loves Allaah loves His close friends, and the one who fears Allaah will be feared by all.” [“Fayd al-Qadeer”; 4/302]

‘Amr bin al-’Aas heard about ‘Uthmaan’s murder, he started weeping and saying: “O ‘Uthmaan! True modesty and religious commitment have departed with him.” [Taareekh at-Tabaree]

‘Aa’ishah narrated that one day Aboo Bakr asked for permission to enter upon the Messenger of Allaah when he was lying down on his bed, wrapping himself in the cover of ‘Aa’ishah.

‘Uthmaan then asked for permission to enter and he sat up, and said to ‘Aa’ishah, “Cover yourself properly.” ‘Uthmaan fulfilled his need then went away.

How pathetic. Accepting any hadith that would degrate the Prophet (saw). How can you accept that our beloved Prophet (saw) would ever allow any man to enter his room while in bed with his wife while the Quran (The word of Allah) specifically orders that his wives should always be behind a veil. Try to find out why the fabricators of ahadith came up with this particular hadith and what was the situation of the muslims at the time of Uthmaan's caliphate.

seekknowledge: why is it that you always allow ur emotions to run roit... i mean firstly both hadeeths are authentic... the situation of the muslims during the caliphate of uthman are irralivant as this hadeeth is saheeh!