Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

The Greatest Impediment to Puntland's Progress

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

quote:

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

The persistent criticism of the PIS, coming from different communities, is a legitimate concern. No one should dismiss the cries of the locals and their stinging denunciation of the PIS actions as “wining” for such would be seen as legitimizing potential abuse. I have always thought it is never a great design to farm-out vital state responsibilities such as security to self-governing security entities with little or no governmental oversight. Such novelty takes integrity away from the local law enforcement groups and further antagonizes the very communities the state is trying to bring under its sphere of influence. If latest turn of events tell us anything, it is that the very unit the state put its bet on, the PIS that is, is increasingly inept and highly unable to assist the admin get a good grip on security. Instead, the PIS tactics have conjured up, in the minds of many citizens, an image of Puntland which is quite Pashtuni. It is commonly seen as a Blackwater vehicle for sub-clan domination. The unit’s sole contribution, aside from the clandestine raids, has been the estrangement of a number of communities and the disturbance of the always delicate equilibrium of tribal loyalty to the state. That Faroole has no direct control over the core duties of the PIS was never a secret, but what is quite intriguing is the mere longevity of an organization so clearly unable to bring any tangible progress on security to the table. What are the PIS’s real accomplishments?

That was my comment on the PIS last year. The same issues still haunt the citizens.

What is the solution yaa jamacah? [/QB]
Excellent point, LST.

Thankful   

What are the PIS’s real accomplishments?

I believe if anyone has travelled to Puntland recently, they would see exactly what the PIS's accomplishments are (I left back in Jan 2009). They really came to life and proved their worth back in 2006, when the Islamic Courts Union was threatening to take over Gaalkayo. They were able to keep the peace even after Puntlands resources both financial and military were going to the TFG, if you look at the suicide bombings and other attacks they handled it well. I believe they have done a good job. Puntland is under attack, there is no doubt about that, even back in the earlier 90s it was under threat and things haven't changed.

I definitely think that there should be changes to it and that the best person should get the job regardless of where they come from!

But with Mr. Atam calling Al Shabaab his brothers and the whole we are one in the same bit he said, the PIS will only get stronger and nothing will change. Mr. Atam actions and words are justifying keeping the PIS the way they are and in fact make them stronger. So if people want change to the PIS, then you have to look at what they are fighting and address that. What Mr. Atam said on PalTalk was criminal, yet no one from his region wants to condemn him or anyone else from who hails from there. Instead they claim Paltalk is not good, even though it was the man's voice on it. If he said what he did in any western country and in those exact words, he'd have been arrested in a second.

But back to the PIS, like I said it should be changed up, even if the new leader was a Somali from outside of Puntland; but the road to that happening has taken a big curve because of Atam.

The truth can't be concealed, other Puntland religious leaders have condemned Al Shabaab, yet he called them his brothers!

Samafal   

No doubt PIS need a big shake up than Faroole has so far provided. The fact that there is a security Services Agency that operates independently from the rest of the other security structures is mind boggling.

Having said that,we need to undersatnd all these can only be achieved when normality returns and the guy in the mountains descends, and random killings stop. Unless these happens Faroole will see the importance of having one cohesive, armed unit that can be relied to defend the state. Also, one clan dominates the PIS is a myth, they consist soldiers from all the regions of Puntland.

Rain   

create a monster to fight off another monster. interesting. am not familiar with this PIS, but if what i'm hearing is true, they ARE, the self-destruct button of PL.

LST is wrong, the issue is not PIS this time, it is alshabaab getting a base in Galgala. And who wants to get rid of PIS, alshabaab and their supporters, so that they can expand their base.

When the state is under attack, it is sucide to dismantel or cripple your strongest military unit.

^^^I agree the PIS with all their faults have proven to be a formidable enemy of those who harbour ill will towards Puntland.

Its time to expand them..