Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Why Osmaniya Script (Somali historic script) hasn't been adopted as official?

Zaylici   

Somalis are not oral society

The first scholar to study the Somali language was Sheikh Yusuf al kownayn, Known as Aw Barkhadle in northern Somalia (or modern republic of Somaliland), and his tomp is visited by many Somalis to this modern day and he was relative to the ruling family of Adal kingdom.

Starting from the time Islam has arrived Horn of Africa, Somalis and other Muslims in the region have contributed to the production and preservation of Muslim and local literature, it is not surprising then to learn that the major reference book (which has numerous volumes) of the Hanafi school of law (Muslim school of law, dominant in the Asian subcontinent), is written by Imam Zaili’e, his proper name was Jamal Muhammad Yusuf Mohammed Ayub born and grew up in Northern Somalia, particularly in the legendary city as well as the imperial seat of the celebrated Adal Sultanate, the magnitude of the works produced by the Somalis is another subject, which I will cover in subsequent paper, however, it might be enough to note that there are entire sections in the modern Egyptian house of books and medieval Mosque of Umayyad Dynasty in Damascus dedicated to the works published by the local Muslim scholars as well rooms that housed students from this region (horn of Africa).

The subjects covered in this works extend from jurisprudence ( fiqi), mystics, poetry, law and history to the prevailing social and political conditions. Some of these works could also be found in private libraries in Somalia as well as public libraries around the world, particularly in Europe and Middle East. Large portion of these works were published in Arabic although some of these works were also written in Somali with Arabic alphabet. It is interesting to note that Europe which is land of civilization with considerable intellectual history was employing Latin as medium of _expression for science and philosophical discourses as late as two hundred years ago. In fact, the great German philosopher Emanuel kant wrote his dissertation paper in Latin about two hundred years ago. Therefore, the use of vernacular languages, or put it differently, the linguistic nationalism or the pride one takes in his own language and its use as medium of literary works is recent phenomena, although there are exceptions to this assertion.

Therefore, it is not surprising to contend that the Somalis were producing their scholarly works in Arabic prior 19th century; however, this has changed due to the socioeconomic and political changes as well as the growth of the population and the compelling desire of the scholars to communicate with masses so as to diffuse knowledge and create greater sense of community.

Sheik Uways Muhammad Barawi who lived between 1847-1909, was born in Brava, he went to Iraq and studied in Baghdad between (1870-188), and visited numerous places in the Islamic world, upon his return to Somalia he visited Mogadishu and met with prominent Muslim scholars and then he left to the south particularly areas between the two rivers, where he was recognized as leader of the Qadiriya order( tariiqa).

He founded the farming communities called Jama’at literally means communities that have celebrated Muslim cultural heritage through the production of poetry (mainly in the form of Sufi poetry that were designed to celebrate the personalities of Prophet Mohammed may Lord grant him peace and other prominent Muslim saints both locally and internationally) thus creating the sprit of brotherhood among Somali communities. It is worth while to mention that he was among the first people to produce major literary works in Somali based Arabic alphabet, a major portion of his work are currently in my possession and can also be found in both private Somali libraries and some libraries around the world.

Significant figure related to the Somali writing history was Osman Keenidid, being religious man with high degree of political consciousness, he produced the first Somali alphabet known initially as Osmania and later it was named far Soomaali, (or called in Somali

, taken form recently published article in the Somalinet ) or Somali writing. This script had been used to record literature and numerous books were written in this script, it was also used in school as late as 1972, as matter of fact Syl, the Somali nationalist political movement of 1940s had used it as official language until it was dominated by Pro Arab groups led by Haji Mohammed Hussein who was the president of the S.y.l from 1948-1952 and 1957-58. He advocated Somalia not to participate in the European Economic Community, he also campaigned for the use of the Arabic alphabet in order to narrow the gab between the Somalis and Muslim world. Cotemporary to Osman kenideed was Abdurrahman Sheikh Nur, Judge Qadi of Boreme, who also devised Boreme script in 1933, which was later used by the merchants as well as local people. He used the script to record his own works. Prior the invention of Boreme script he used Arabic alphabet to transcribe important things, however, this script never achieved national recognition in the same way as the ‘Somali writing’ did†The Somali alphabet was used until the military took over the country and introduced the Latin alphabet, there are also numerous people who devised scripts late 1940s, and 50s including Dr Hussein sheik Ahmed Kadere, the great Philosopher and many others. Therefore, it is baseless and biased judgment of history to say that Somali was oral language before 1972, it is also disrespect and lack of appreciation to the great works of the Somali scholars who dedicated their life to the advancement of Somali language. As matter of fact we can find to day( 2002) many books written in the indigenous scripts both in private libraries and public libraries around the world, by the way some of them are currently in my possessions.

It is interesting to note that the pro Somali scripts are not entirely dead, in fact, one of the great champions of the ‘Somali alphabet’ Dr Hirsi Magan, the former student of anthropology is currently (2002) visiting Europe, to accelerate the production of software that can be used to write the Somali alphabet. Nevertheless the pro Arab movements are also very powerful to day, in fact there are two groups, the first group who was represented by the Dr. Ibrahim Hashi, who actively participated the glorious struggle to liberate the western Somalia. He has produced books in Somali based on Arabic alphabet, he used to say let us use the language of the Quran glorifying the use of the Arabic alphabet; however, with high degree of confidence we can say that this movements is dead. The second movements in the pro Arab comp campaigned the use of Arabic language as the official language and school language, this movement is currently powerful and in fact they have benefited from the lawlessness by creating schools that not only use Arabic as the medium of instruction but also borrow entire curriculum from Arab states. This is particularly true in southern and northeastern Somalia. Pro Somali groups believed the use of the Somali language regardless the alphabet used, this group was dominant until 1972-1991, however, it seems their influence is decreasing due to their focus and preoccupation of socioeconomic and political problems of the country, so they are not bothered by the kind of education that their children are getting, believing that these schools are better than none. There is psychological dimension to this reality, from 1980s the institutions of the state was deteriorating and education was not an exception particularly the public schools, and note that the schools both in primary and secondary schools used Somali as medium of instruction, there were also some schools which used Arabic as the medium of instruction, for both pragmatic and exaggerated reasons the Somali public had perceived that the quality of the Arabic schools were much better than the Somali schools, as matter of fact the joke of the day was ( ma Alaahida ayaad dhigataa, waad fiicantihiin idinku) you study in Arabic you are good than others. This psychological climate have given the pro Arab groups an advantage than the Somali groups. There is also an economic advantage, most of the Arab/Muslim organizations have greater tendency to support the schools that use the Arabic as medium of instruction than the once that use Somali as medium of instruction. These factors combined allow the rapid growth of schools that use Arabic language as well as the rapid decline of the schools that use the Somali as medium of instruction. Profound analysis to this social phenomena and elaboration of my understanding to this social development should be expressed in another treatise. Let us now move to the question that we asked at the beginning, which was what can we do to end the conflict.

I support the idea of the Usmaniya script to be preserved as national heritage. It's important that the Usmaniya script doesn't disappear in Somalia, even though there are still 1000s of Somalis worldwide whom still master the script.

But our current Latin script seems to be the most practical one for communication. The latin script is deeply rooted in our nation by the Somali government during the 70s and 80s. As Somalia was and is a secular nation, it's not surprising other secular, muslim but non-Arab nations such as Indonesia and Turkey adopted the latin script.

The Arab script of course, will always be very important in our society. It's the language of our religion; Islam. As virtually 100% of Somalia is muslim, we are obligated to learn this language to read and understand the qur'aan and hadith. Reminding the fact that students of Arab-speaking schools in the Mogadishu of yesteryears excellently spoke both Arabic and English (incl.Latin script). Thus I see the emergence of primary and secondary schools that teach in Arabic as a positive development.

Imamu Nawawi schools provide high quality education and opportunities to study abroad. Click!

So all in all, we should preserve the Usmaniya script as the only indigenous Somali script. Limit the Arabic script to religious and spiritual aspects. And keep the Latin script as the official script of Somalia. A script deeply rooted in the Somali psyche.

Jumatatu   

However much you try to put it in romance the script by Osman Yusuf kenadid was not popularly accepted as a sript for the Somali language. However it is much clear why this is picking up momentum now, and I assume one of the suggestions that will be produced by our 'scholars' in SOL will be something along the line like to put the portrait of Boqor Cali Yusuf in future coins of Somalia.. :confused:

People dont over strech your luck and put a lid on your excitement please.

Gabbal   

It's important that the Usmaniya script doesn't disappear in Somalia, even though there are still 1000s of Somalis worldwide whom still master the script.

Overstatment of the year shall I say? icon_razz.gif

There are a few people that I found who know of the Osmaniya script, and non of them know how to write it.

I assume one of the suggestions that will be produced by our 'scholars' in SOL will be something along the line like to put the portrait of Boqor Cali Yusuf in future coins of Somalia..

As for Jumatutu, plz do not politicize events when they don't have to be.

NASSIR   

Thanks Yasmine for your explanation. You raised good point.

Zaylici, this topic is for the abortive adoption of Usmaniya script. I have heard and read of all these fairly known sheikhs' works except Sheikh Yusuf who had invented nothing but simplistic version of learning Arabic Alphabet in Somali. His invention though well appreciated is not the same calibre with Usmaniya.

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

As for Jumatutu, plz do not politicize events when they don't have to be.

hurdada marki aad ka kacdiid ayan is warsaneyna...!

Overstatment of the year shall I say?

There are a few people that I found who know of the Osmaniya script, and non of them know how to write it.

Maybe I pushed one zero to many and should have left the s. :D

The point here should be natural preservance,

I mean what heritage purpose is the latin script for, i truly i belive that the 1960 revolution with the help of outside greatly influeneced the change to latin, why let other people influence us in choosing our own script, cant we have something original where the scri[t is designed made by somalia in somalia.

a script does not just have a good or a bad side, or a communcation ease or any other facts, its either by people for their people or by people for other people. and the later is what we have know.

Most people would deffinenetly argue that the osmaniya script is heard and would be difficult for then growing nation to adopt it, the proplem with this theory is that wasn't the latin script also hard, we had no sense of the latin script back then and when it was introduced, it was a whole new process, we simply started from scartch and truly if we would have went with the latin script, trust me, the osmaniya script with some practice would have been off the top for most of you guys.

My point here are 2 things one, there are deffinently real historical backrounds with this script and the script itself signified "somali"and the other point is directed towards people who are trying to argue that the osmaniya script is hard and would have been difficult, well the proplem with that is WE WERE USING the osmaniya script prior to the 1960 and it was being spread until the two living powers with influence with some people change our language's writing and simply made everything hard and to my beliefs, out of the somali heritage.

BN   

There are a
few
people that I found who know of the Osmaniya script, and
non
of them know how to write it.

Well, if you know a few and I know a few and Faarax next door and Ghuuled across the street know a few...it starts to add up doesn't it? :D

It's likely much higher than the figure stated by Nationalist.

well you have to give FEW a number and we will see how much add up,

some people just know *we all know osmaniya, its that we do not know how to write it *

Osmaniya is somali written *at least the original part* but writing it is what we are talking about *then the few people add p to be few 100s per person*

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Bari_Nomad:

quote:Originally posted by HornAfrique:

There are a
few people that I found who know of the Osmaniya script, and
non
of them know how to write it.

Well, if you know a
few
and I know a
few
and Faarax next door and Ghuuled across the street know a
few
...it starts to add up doesn't it?
:D

It's likely much higher than the figure stated by Nationalist.
To say it bluntly ;) Bari......cut the crap. :D

Blessed   

Zaylici, Yasmine and Nassir. Thank you! I've actually learnt a great deal from your posts. smile.gif

Personally, I think bringing back the script is going to pose a HUGE financial and practical burden to our already struggling governments.

BN   

To say it
bluntly
;)
Bari......cut the crap.

Okay saaxib, I'm not looking to argue; I know how stubborn reer mudug folks can be... :D

Ameenah, would you support it if a nationwide, large scale programme supported and financed by the International community to teach the Somali populace the Usmaniya script?

As Mohamed Nur pointed out terrificly, we started from scratch with the Latin script and look at us now. In this world of globalization, we need to have some strong unique cultural characteristics. Otherwise we should change our indigenous Somali names to 'correspond' better with our Arab neighbours.

But I'm afraid such widescale programme won't take place and the issue of inpracticality will keep intimidating us. Thus I'm for the Latin script.

Rahima   

To say it bluntly Bari......cut the crap.

LOL :D , as I was thinking, but of course I’d put it in a much nicer way smile.gif - maybe something like “Bari I have to disagree with you brother, I doubt many have heard of it let alone mastered it ;) â€.

I know how stubborn reer mudug folks can be...

You better be careful, some folks lurking around in SOL are very defensive about that place (not HA though), you might get your eyes gorged out (I was saved after a similar remark because me is girl :D , you though are free game ;) ).

Best be careful, stubbornness is not their only trait ;) .