Sign in to follow this  
Shaakirullaah

Peace and security under the rule of Harakat Shabaab Al-Mujahideen

Maaddeey   

Anwar, haddey run tahay, keligiis maahan, adoo go back to where they came from dhahaayana kuma arkine see wax u jiraan walaalkiis?

Cowke   

Shakirullah, Your argument Shabab is good because their is peace in the areas their rule. The refutation for that is very simple and straight forward. Their was peace under Siyad Barre, but that didn't mean it was alright what he was doing.

For example Shabab abuse of Islam has led to peace in the areas they control would be a better and more concise line to use.

Where do you see "13 year old girl being stoned for being a rape victim", where do you see sheikhs going around and having clan-warfare as the case was in Kismayo. Where do you see Sheikhs to busy looking at people teeth to see if their is gold rather then actually provide better living standards.

Another refutation can also be employed against that weak argument of shabab brings peace to the areas they rule.

The Taliban brought peace to afgahnistan for nearly a decade. Yet it remains the most impoverished and backward nation in the world.

Peace doesn't mean Progress. You can have peace and be useless as was the case with the Taliban.

Now The main reason why Shabab will not be able to better the people's life in the long-run is very simple my friend. Shabab is black-listed as terrorist organization, this means they can't go and borrow money for infrastructure projects, this means they won't have diplomatic ties with the super-powers of the world such as America and Europe, this also means that sanctions will most likely be applied to them like the case was with the ICU courts in 2006 where al-barakat hawala was shut down and the people of mogadishu suffered alot. Imagine if that sanction was extended to "no trading in shabab ruled areas" where will they get medicine, technology, and a range of other necessary imports into Somalia for the people? Where will they sell those beautiful bannanas and agricultural products if noone will buy it because the U.N sanctioned all member-states not to trade with them?

Even worse a military assault can occur and more civilian casualties continued as was the case against the taliban when America invaded, or as was the case with Ethiopia when they invaded Mogadishu.

My friend alot of somali people are naive to be quite honest. Shabab doesn't hold a future for somalis in the long-run, maybe in the short-run they see peace but in the long-run their future will remain backwards as the taliban were.

Alot of Somalis forget the external players needed in order for Somalis to achieve their goals, without these key-stakeholders on-board Somalia is not heading nowhere.

So Shabab is not really in the interest of the people at large but the interest of a few people who have ulterior motives which I won't get into because that will open up another analysis and be two pages long.

I hope you get my point.