Sign in to follow this  
FatB

nabi khadar

FatB   

Talking to a few elders at the mosk the other day. we were discussing the history of nabi moose; offcourse being the would be student i sat there passively listening as the decussation moved to the meeting of nabi khadar and moose after moose asked alah wether there were was a more Knowledgeable person in existence than he (moose).

now preview to this enlightenment i did not now of the existence of nabi khadar. if any body has or knows more detail about the legendary prophet would you be so welling to teach a ignorant nomad more?1

Salamu alaykum

His name is Khidr not Khadar. There is ikhtilaf(difference of opinion) as to wheter he is a prophet. some say he was merely a pious man who had deep insight. However the other opinion carries more weight. He was named Khidr(green: in whatever language they spoke back then), because he sat on a barren land and turned completely green afterwards.

You might find more information in Ibn kathir's book, "The stories of the Prophets" however, there are some words circuling on its authenticity since some of the narrations are extracts from Stories told by "Israelites", thus; we neither comfirm or deny them as to their authenticity.

More likely than not he was a Prophet, and he was chosen to be Moses mentor as well. Allah gave him especial knowledge to decipher His secrets, which was a knowledge even Prophet Moses lacked, mind you.

I don’t know how it all had started but this chosen Prophet had been turned in to a legend whose visit is to be anticipated, and waited for in especial occasions, like Khidr night. Also in some regions, I heard, after fajr prayers, the faithful would initiate a handshake process in search of Khidr whose presence is assumed. I don’t know how these stuff started, but it would be beneficial if learned nomads chip in with their version of these fascinating Khidr related tales and traditions.

Of course I don’t believe (to my limited knowledge) that Khidr would turn up one day in our mix.

Viking   

the one and only,

The story of Khidr is one of the most remarkable stories in the Qur'an. Why not read it for yourself in Surah Kahf (Surah 18 from verse 64).

FatB   

thanks all for you insites and viking i would love to, but once again here a display of my ignorance and i am ashamed to admit that i am not a learned and have not as yet learned and understood the noble quraan to its full extent.... tho i will do as much research in to the matter....

FatB   

In relation to "khadir" i was researching more on to the background of the legend Werneth I came across this narrative

source web page

There are three part of the story from Surah Al-Kahfi, of Prophet Musa and Khidir a.s. In my study it is actually the similar exact account as having to do with the gift of Muslims of the past, namely Knowledge. These include all knowledge and understandings of Science and its branches, Mathematics etc whose basic roots are invented by Muslims (ibnu Sina,Ibnu Rushd etc) and form the foundation of all modern science and technology, and giving the world the light of civilization.

The first, second and third part of the story are explained by Khidir to Prophet Musa in verse(79)

"As for the boat, it belonged to certain men in dire want:

they plied on the water: I but wished to render it unserviceable, for there was

after them a certain king who seized on every boat by force...

(That Muslims were the basic pioneers of knowledge in various fields, and that it would be given to the ahli Kitab and that in the actual sense the basis of world civilization.)

(80) "As for the youth, his parents were people of Faith, and we feared that he

would grieve them by obstinate rebellion and ingratitude (to Allah and man).

( that all knowledge in various fields were at its best to be discovered by the past Muslims but it has its reason to be passed on to the West and the world at large in later years after the Islamic Renaissance)

(81) "So we desired that their Lord would give them in exchange (a son) better

in purity (of conduct) and closer in affection.

( that this is very clear as that the recipients of knowledge must be among one who knows the giver of knowledge, ALLAH, because the breakthrough that will gives mankind the knowledge later in many years to come.)

(82) "As for the wall, it belonged to two youths, orphans, in the Town; there

was, beneath it, a buried treasure, to which they were entitled: their

father had been a righteous man: So thy Lord desired that they should

attain their age of full strength and get out their treasure - a mercy (and

favour) from thy Lord. I did it not of my own accord. Such is the

interpretation of (those things) over which thou wast unable to hold patience."

( that in general all the past works done by Muslim became a treasures for Muslims in the future after they were given to the Ahli Kitab....so that civilization of the world would be fulfilled, and that it is a Maslahat and a safeguard that Allah alone has provided for us. )

And so the expansion of worldly knowledge and for the advancement of mankind on earth as the vicegerents, the real Khalifah came to be fulfilled...that all the discoveries, inventions have all the basic factors from the Muslim scholars, scientists, mathematicians...etc, that only came to be established in total that gave the western world its very civilization, the modern civilization....the Renaissance.

Perhaps Allah would have that way in the canopy that people, especially the intellectuals would come to the understanding that Allah is the Giver of Knowledge.

If we read back the verse, we will come to mind that there are factors not understandable by us, why is it that some Muslims and others thought that we are that way backwards in the field of science and technology....It’s rather embarrassing to inform them, thought it would give them the light of understanding, that the very lessons in their classes are from the very hearts of Muslim scholars! Even to this very day! And that too reminds me that the application of Logarithm ( Sine and Cosine, Tangent etc), is the essential features in the microchips of our very own computers. But perfection must be the direct application, and Allah is the Giver of Knowledge.

It is essentially important to understand that we have not known any of the basic discoveries, inventions etc... before the arrival of Islam and the their great Scientists.

Allah Knows the Best.

But Knowledge must be passed onto far distances, and for the further developments, especially so if there are for the great usage for all men concern. These are the general breakthrough...and the all began several hundred years ago by Muslim Scholars. I bring here the written verse which I will signify the reality of things.....

"As for the boat, it belonged to certain men in dire want:

they plied on the water: I but wished to render it unserviceable, for there was

after them a certain king who seized on every boat by force.

(That Muslims were the basic pioneers of knowledge in various fields, and that it would be given to the ahli Kitab and that in the actual sense the basis of world civilization.)

Initially it is for the best of mankind that Allah has set such a course that for the advancement of man the breakthrough of discoveries and inventions would have to come to a standstill....and to be passed on to the next generations and so on. This signifies the parable. And the next verse tells us in parable form:

(80) "As for the youth, his parents were people of Faith, and we feared that he

would grieve them by obstinate rebellion and ingratitude (to Allah and man).

( that all knowledge in various fields were at its best to be discovered by the past Muslims but it has its reason to be passed on to the West and the world at large in later years after the Islamic Renaissance)

( that this is very clear as that the recipients of knowledge must be among one who knows the giver Of Knowledge, ALLAH, because the breakthrough that will gives mankind the knowledge later in many years to come.)

It is only at this point that the whole truth came to view....meaning the standing order of the day was that the breakthrough in all worldly knowledge in Science, Mathematics etc.. were like the parents...and that it has to be given a new breathing space so to speak, that other inventions in their own rightful places would be continued. And verse 82 of Surah Al-Kahfi tells n parable:

( that this is very clear as that the recipients of knowledge must be among one who knows the giver Of Knowledge, ALLAH, because the breakthrough that will gives mankind the knowledge later in many years to come.)

The next verse 82 of Surah alKahfi tells in parable exact truth behind the secrets and the story of Knowledge:

(82) "As for the wall, it belonged to two youths, orphans, in the Town; there

was, beneath it, a buried treasure, to which they were entitled: their

father had been a righteous man: So thy Lord desired that they should

attain their age of full strength and get out their treasure - a mercy (and

favour) from thy Lord. I did it not of my own accord. Such is the

interpretation of (those things) over which thou wast unable to hold patience."

( that in general all the past works done by Muslim became a treasures for

Muslims in the future after they were given to the Ahli Kitab....so that civilization of the world would be fulfilled, and that it is a Maslahat and a safeguard that Allah alone has provided for us.)

The two youths that inherited the vast fortunes left by their religious parents could be you and me....or all mankind in the East and the West.

Haneefah   

^salam, not was it only an exellent story of knowledge but one that also illustrated mankind's dire need for guidance and great virtues such as patience, humility, respect...even Prophet Muhammad (saw) regretted prophet Musa's (as) hastiness during his encounter with Khidr for had he remained patient, he would have imparted more wisdom. Ibn kathir's tafsir of the Qur'an (with excellent commentaries explaining the context in which ayahs were revealed) is a great source of reference if you would like to read the complete story: The story of Musa and Al-Khidr. Also, if you read further down the Surah, you will come across ayah's supporting the claim of him being a prophet and a reference to why he was called al-Khidr.

While you're at it, let me suggest to you to also read the incredible story of prophet Musa (as) who was as you may know one of the five greatest prophets and extremely unique in that he was the only Prophet with whom Allah (swt) had bestowed the ability of speaking to Him directly...the story is related in many surahs in the Qur'an but surah Ta-Ha describes it in great detail. Enjoy.