Abtigiis

Puntland: where mediocres reign and maestros fade

Abtigiis   

For a moment, if you disregard the love message in Abdi Tahlil Warsame’s

Maad ii jibaadaan, ama ii jidh dabacdaan

Ama wax ila jamataan, Ma jinn baa igu kiin diray

Ileene [qabiilku], waa jidkii siraadkoo

Jannada iyo cadaabkaan, wali ka dhex joogaa

And if you rather take it metaphorically, you would see this song in entirely different light in view of the crownig of Abwaan Xassan Ali Warsame, who is now officially the Mohamed Wardi, the Oliver Mutukudzi , the Salif Keita, and theYoussou Ndour of Puntland. All for a rather bizarre slogan-like song named “Ku dayo Puntlan ku dayo”.

And according to the President of the region, this song will be taught in schools; children will chant it every single school day; and the Awban will be recognized as the best ever in the region.

But let us examine the story a bit closer and draw a comparison between this new ‘star’and the one man who has ripped off the loving hearts of any Somali man and woman with such ageless songs as onkod, ugaaso, gaaraa-bidhaan, wardheer and many many others. And what did he get by way of recognition let alone an accolade from the region he hails from. Nothing. Where and how is he? He lives in a delapitated part of Mogadisho with abject penury. His problem is not because he didn’t compose ‘patriotic’ songs which end with the flourish “learn from Puntland”. His problem is his blood is “not clean’’ and he is what is correctly labeled as the “looma ooyaan”.

Only a week ago, when I had some debate on the issue with the arch-puntlander, whom we all know for his knack for spitefulness, the man who is incorrectly named Mr.Somalia, he suggested Abdi Tahlil made a bad personal choice and is a victim of his own carelessness. If we agree Mr. Somalia’s not-proven allegations are correct, we can still come in defense of the maestro by insisting that the man who made the worst personal choice in living somali memory was Abullahi Yusuf, and yet he was treated like a king by his fellow clan men. So, making the wrong choices in life are not always the yardstick in measuring how one is taken by Puntlanders, we may infer.

Anyway, the current hullabaloo about the musical achievements of a very mediocre man is only a manifestation of the dearth of talent on many fronts by Puntanders and a palpable eagerness to crown any pretender from Tolka. It shows desperation for something good about the image of that land, after it got defaced by the actions of a host of personalities from there. Yey’s massacres in Mogadishu, Faroole’s human trade, Piracy and of late the Omer Jamal Saga. :D

And what did he get by way of recognition let alone an accolade from the region he hails from. Nothing. Where and how is he? He lives in a delapitated part of Mogadisho with abject penury. His problem is not because he didn’t compose ‘patriotic’ songs which end with the flourish “learn from Puntland”. His problem is his blood is “not clean’’ and he is what is correctly labeled as the “looma ooyaan”.

What is your responsibility to him?

where mediocres reign and maestros fade

Only you will miss the irony in your statement.

who-me   

Talk about desperation! and here he is foaming from the mouth just because puntland is doing great. War sakiimo liq puntland af waxba uga goyn mayside.

It shows desperation for something good about the image of that land, after it got defaced by the actions of a host of personalities from there.

Tuujiye   

A&T post this in politics saaxiib meeshaan waxaan ha keenin nooh.. I hate this Somaliland/Puntland talk waxaas baxa la taga godkiinii ama luuqiinii oo isku afuufaa...meeshaan dadka caafimaadka qaba ayaa wax ku qoraan ee naga ganbiso!!!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

And according to the President of the region, this song will be taught in schools; children will chant it every single school day; and the Awban will be recognized as the best ever in the region.

^^

A&T, is this another of your brilliant brain farts? What proof do you have that this guy is to be 'recognized as the best' and that his songs will be chanted by school kids daily?

And I will have you know that, the only looma ooyaan currently residing in Puntland are the ONLF riffraff refugees from Ethiopia. Marka, if you don't know anything, at least have sense enough not to broadcast it like this. ;)

Abtigiis   

For fear of dumpening anyone's spirit on a Ciid Day, I didn't respond to some of the feedback here. There is only one comment I feel a strong urge to question: "

Who-Me'said

Talk about desperation! and here he is foaming from the mouth just because
puntland is doing great
. War sakiimo liq puntland af waxba uga goyn mayside.

We may have a different parameters of measuring greatness, but I think you will agree that the following list constitutes none of it:

-Printing counter-feit money and money laundering

- Piracy

- Human trafficking

- Selling refugees to country's they run from

- Abondoning regions that supposedly fall under its jurisdiction

- Rampant assasinations

- Leading foreigners to Somalia

If that is what we hear from that region, why would I have to swallow blades brother? Surely, I will not envy the "green valleys and rivers meandering all over this beautiful land with superb climate"!!!

who-me   

G If it wasn't so darn great your kin folks wouldn't swarm the place like hornets. So you should be grateful to others and stop whining about jailed criminals since no one in puntland is above the law be it an internally displaced person or a native inhabitant.

If that is what we hear from that region, why would I have to swallow blades brother? Surely, I will not envy the "green valleys and rivers meandering all over this beautiful land with superb climate"!!!