Sign in to follow this  
codetalker

No one killed in Puntland operations, Range insists

Remember how the Puntland authority initially denied that any fighting had taken place in Sanaag (even held a press conference)? Now, Range is re-playing the old tune on the international stage through Australian media.

These two lying groups are indeed a perfect couple!

No one killed in Puntland operations, Range insists - Sydney Morning Herald, Apr. 18, 2006

PERSONAL HIGHLIGHT:

As part of Range's exploration agreement, it is paying the Government $US200,000 a month and has offered to help build an airport in the state's capital, Garowe. "We believe it is a place where it is safe to invest," Povey says. "We've put our money where our mouth is."

Build Garoowe airport = buy Reer Nugaal support for exploration/exploitation of the Nugaal Valley.

Good plan. :D But let's see if it works or if he [Povey] really puts his money where his mouth is.

art   

But let's see if it works or if he [Povey] really puts his money where his mouth is

code talker, I thought that Povey is putting his money where his mouth is. Monthly payments are being paid and the donation for the airport is binding by what I assume to be a legally binding contract.

Without Povey's donation do you think the airport would happen?

Maf Kees   

Walee this is interesting.

Western companies in general avoid investing or dealing in any way with Somalia. There is no proper government and aduunkaan waa lays wada yaqaanaa: the world knows inaan nahay dad waalan. So I think it's incredible that this company, after bloodshed, still wants to do business in Somalia. A somewhat peaceful part of Somalia, but still Somalia. I mean I have to tell you the truth, if I was this Australian company, I would have packed my bags and left. If there's a force majeure clause in the contract between this company and this local Somali authority, to go to arbitration and have the contract rescissioned. I think any court will recognise a clan gone crazy (mining in their own land - what the hell?) as a legal frustration in the contract.

NEway it looks like this company is there to stay. Dude even moved to Dubai for this, there is no turning back ma garatay. That's a wild sacrifice. :D So there is some lightpoints for Somalia in this deal. If this company is busy with activities that require good logistics, security and sofort. Than other companies will follow suit ma garatay. But these local Somali authorities like Puntland need to become more mature (democratic/transparent) and really enforce the rule of law otherwise hell will break loose.

The local clan should be asked for permission, because simply this local authority is build on that principle: tribalism. It would be hypocrite for the governor of Puntland to act like a fully-fledged president of a country.

codetalker.

Ask yourself why would this company lie? It's obvious why this local authority would, but why this company. I mean if they are lying which wouldn't surprise me. Than that means that Somalia is sitting on some fat riches ma garatay. Gaaladaan know something we don't know.

BoiBoi   

The following is most encourageing:

The dean of Puntland State University, Abdi Samad Ibrahim Jama, agrees there were some skirmishes between clan and militia forces but adds "the problem is calm now after finalising a proper solution with the local people by the Puntland authorities".

^

Since the problem now has a final and "proper solution," it is a wonder why Mr. Povey and Mr. Cadde Muuse haven't personally visited exploration areas such as Majiyahan and Qandala districts - but are so willing to send armed boys there. These areas are "peaceful" for exploration, are they not? :confused: Strange too that Mr. Povey's visit to Puntland was limited to the heavily-fortified presidential compound in Boosaaso instead of Garoowe, the administrative capital.

Originally posted by art:

code talker, I thought that Povey is putting his money where his mouth is. Monthly payments are being paid and the donation for the airport is binding by what
I assume
to be a legally binding contract.

Without Povey's donation do you think the airport would happen?

I can't speculate as to the latter question you raised but I haven't seen Mr. Povey posing for pictures in Garoowe...have you?

Secondly, let me also assume that the "Puntland Agreement" is a legally binding contract (I can provide tons of reasons as to why this is not the case, however). How does that fare with an antagonistic local population armed-to-the-teeth? The Puntland gov't can't move an inch without local support - current standoffs in Majiyahan and Qandala districts prove that.

Thirdly, I don't consider Mr. Povey as "putting his money where his mouth is" when he is simply paying off Puntland's greedy leaders. That's called bribing public officials and its a common practice the world over.

BoiBoi   

Codetalker,

Have you not read the article?

Povey toured the area in dispute - about 40 kilometres from Bosasso - as part of his visit to Puntland last week.

He says there are no villages or local inhabitants in the area - simply a mining camp that Bulgarians abandoned about 30 years ago. "It's a hilly, deserted region," he says.

art   

Codetalker, with regards to comments that Mr Povey's payments being a bribe, I'm sure that these payments must be fully transparent as all transactions being done by range are under the scrutiny of the australian stock exchange and the australian investments and securities commision.

Another australian company , the australian wheat board is now thw victim of an investigation following bribes in Iraq.

I do not believe it is appropriate to question the integrity of Mr Povey.

Xudeedi   

Things are going well or terribly - it all depends on who you ask. Jamie Freed reports.

I feel obliged to expose this Jamie Freed who calls himself a journalist but lacks the integrity and profession of journalistic ethics. I surmise he is afterall serving the interest of the company, for he was assigned to this particular task.

I believe he was the anonymous who wrote to Garoweonline and asked to cease and desist from reporting the conflict for that creates negativity on the situation.

Abdalla Hirad was very quick to discern of the collaboration and conspiracy of these two entities to suppress the conflict at all cost.

"Letting people die as a result of greed and the pursuit of self-interested schemes is inhuman; hiring public and media relations companies, not only to promote an unjust action, but to discourage reporting on the matter, is criminal in my opinion. In this spirit, I urge and plead with the Somali media to seriously pursue this issue with a view to silencing the voice of those vicious forces trying to stifle the cries for justice and to discourage the pursuit of the truth."

Surprisingly, Jamie Freed contacted me by E-mail being very inquisitive and curious of what conflict and asked whether it might subside or remain worse.

Hello. I am a journalist with The Sydney Morning Herald (and The Age) in Australia who has been covering Range Resources. I saw your posting on Garowe Online and was curious to know if you currently live in Puntland or if you are an expatriate.

Anything that you could tell me about the current conflict between Puntland and Somaliland and also the type of problems Range Resources has been supposedly causing would be appreciated. Is it true that Range took 25 armed trucks into a disputed area and that nine people have died in clashes as a result of the company's exploration efforts so far?

Thank you,

Jamie

However, what was intended to exploiting at the expense of the people backfired itself and even exposed the information asymmetry within the government, the outcome of which made the so called governor of Puntland and his cronies leeches.

What was intended to subdue by military means failed miserably. The plan was, in my firm belief, Get in, Get done, and Get out while on vacation to Dubai. Now, he is imploring for a settlement, sending delegation after delegation.

The upcoming meeting in Badhan on 27th of April will dictate where the fate of the people concerned should head----the main agenda being an administration program.

art   

maakhir, who were you refering to when you said:

Now, he is imploring for a settlement, sending delegation after delegation

For your information Jamie freed is an expat US female based in Australia

Thankful   

Since the problem now has a final and "proper solution," it is a wonder why Mr. Povey and Mr. Cadde Muuse haven't personally visited exploration areas such as Majiyahan and Qandala districts

I believe he was the anonymous who wrote to Garoweonline and asked to cease and desist from reporting the conflict for that creates negativity on the situation.

Art my friend, you are dealing with a person(s) that use pure speculation and opinions for their arguments, never facts. Which I am almost certain have never visited Puntland. Calling Bosasso's presidential palace heavily fortified is proof.

Codetalker, with regards to comments that Mr Povey's payments being a bribe, I'm sure that these payments must be fully transparent as all transactions being done by range are under the scrutiny of the australian stock exchange and the australian investments and securities commision.

Another australian company , the australian wheat board is now thw victim of an investigation following bribes in Iraq

For your information Jamie freed is an expat US female based in Australia

You are using facts and destroying any argument they make. If you are expecting a factual based dialogue you will never get it from the same few person(s) that love to quote the same tribal websites. It's better to try and get info from people on the ground over there and not people living in North America.

Codetalker,

Have you not read the article?

Boi Boi it's called selective-reading. Their only interests are the parts that concern their tribal cause. So they seem to skim through the article looking for more things to post that can help their arguments.

art   

somalipride thank you for your informative post.

I cannot see how ranges investment in puntland can be anything but beneficial to the country which has been ravaged by anarchy and war.

Any development in the country would create employment, infrastructure and hopefully some sense of order, all of which are lacking at the moment. A lot of money would be invested in the country which can only make it richer.

i challanege maakhir to proposing an alternative solution to Puntlands problems.

Salaan...

Art, it is obvious, and correctly may I assume, that you are a non-Soomaali and only interested threads dedicated entirely to Range Resources on this forum, and most likely always defending it.

So, I have a simple question for you: Do you have any relationship with Range Resources?

If affirmative, you have a conflict of interest in this board, and should have stated categorically in your first post that you have a relationship with this particular company such as being an investor or a shareholder or even a worker.

That might have clarified a lot of things. None of the participators of this thread -- or any other thread on this forum -- is Soomaaliya-based. Almost all of us live abroad, outside Soomaaliya. So, everyone's conclusion on this particular issue is from what they read, what their relatives say, and what they think is right for their clan or sub-clan.

art   

Miskiin, thank you for your question and I apologise if it seemed I was being deceptive. I am not somalian, and yes I am an investor, however i do not belive I have posted anything non factual or inflammatory. My intention is to get an understanding of local culture and ideaology which this forum has allowed me to do.

I am open to honest debate and welcome criticism where valid and have no issue with being corrected with evidence of fact.

^^^ So what is your point in taking up the debate on the side of Raange? Now be honeste investor..

Talker, as ever tries to play down Puntland situation, Makhir plays up his sub-sub clans armed opposition.Fortunately the situation is calm and the state is moving forward..

art   

general Duke, a debate requires two sides does it not?

Just like the participants here rely on media and talk from the ground for their information, I also seek the same information.

obviously an investor seeks to profit, but profit should come with ethics and I believe and hope that the investment range is making in puntland will be ethical and will be to the benefit to the people of puntland as well as to the investors.