Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Feds claim he was trying to supply Somali rebels

Local teen faces terror charge

Feds claim he was trying to supply Somali rebels

Greg Livadas

Staff writer

(November 10, 2004) — Federal authorities have arrested an Irondequoit man who they say wished he was flying a hijacked plane during the Sept. 11 attacks and planned to help terrorists in Somalia.

Mark Robert Walker, who turns 19 today, was arrested Saturday in El Paso, Texas, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Authorities claim Walker planned to fly to Somalia to fight for a Somali Islamic government and was planning to buy and transport night-vision goggles and bulletproof vests for members of the terrorist group Ittihad Al Islamiya. The State Department designated that group a terrorist organization in April 2003.

Court information says Walker, charged with providing material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization, is a student at Wyoming Technical College, also known as WyoTech, in Laramie.

According to neighbors, Walker moved from the West Coast to a home on Chestnut Hill Drive, off St. Paul Boulevard, in June with his parents, Donald and Susan Walker. The Walkers could not be reached for comment.

According to court information, Walker is accused of using a roommate's computer and acted as an administrator for a jihadist Web site. Among the comments he allegedly made on the computer:

"I hate the U.S. gov't; I wish I could have been flying one of the planes on Sept. 11."

An FBI source said Walker was posting on a forum list under the names of "Abdullah" and "Abdullah313."

Officials say Walker's roommate contacted police in Laramie about the suspicious activity. On Oct. 28, the roommate, who was not identified, confronted Walker about the information he found on his computer and said he contacted the police. Walker then fled from Wyoming and hadn't been in contact with his family until his arrest, officials said.

Officials allege that Walker was using an Internet café in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, to line up a meeting with someone known as "Khalid" at the El Paso airport Saturday afternoon.

A notice to border patrols was issued about Walker on Friday, and he was detained about 7 a.m. Saturday while driving alone from Mexico into El Paso, Texas, according to Roger Maier, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Walker allegedly told authorities he planned to travel to Somalia and had $2,100 in hundred dollar bills to buy the night-vision goggles and bulletproof vests.

No prohibited items were found in his car.

Walker appeared in federal court in Texas; he is being held without bail at the El Paso County Detention Facility.

GLIVADAS@DemocratandChronicle.com

Link

Salaam Muadiid,

A fellow fan of frank herbert i see.

"fear is the mind killer".

I think the correct spelling is muadib

from the arabic "one who trains, instructs , Adab"