Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Somali clans 'agree to disarm'

Somali clans 'agree to disarm'

1_210774_1_5.jpg

Somali leaders met at the presidential residence on Friday in Mogadishu to discuss security issues [AFP]

Somalia's clan leaders have agreed to disarm their groups and join a new national army, a government official said.

The announcement followed a meeting on Friday between Abdullahi Yusuf, the Somali president, and clan leaders.

eanwhile, Oxfam has released a statement saying that a US air raid on Monday mistakenly targeted local herdsmen.

Mohammed Adow, Aljazeera's correspondent in Mogadishu, said: "Clans have agreed to disarm after meeting the president. However, people are doubtful because the warlords are very much responsible for the violent past."

Somalia's defence minister said on Friday that government forces had taken over the last remaining stronghold of the Union of Islamic Courts.

Armed men fired a rocket-propelled grenade and briefly exchanged gunfire with government troops outside the presidential residence during the meeting, leaving at least six dead and 10 wounded.

Abdirahman Dinari, the government's spokesman, said: "The warlords and the government have agreed to collaborate for the restoration of peace in Somalia."

Yusuf had met three prominent local commanders and two other faction leaders, the spokesman said. "The agreement means they have to disarm their militia and their men have to join the national army."

^^^Soon insha Allah, and not just in Mogadishu but in every region including the Juba's, Puntland State, Bay and Bakool the Shabbele's, central regions and of course Banadir..

Its a milestone..

Who will hold a meeting where an agreement to disarm is made but won’t mention when the disarmament will begin?

That is if they have a set date to start disarming.

Somalis, they can never sit and completely cover one subject. :D

^^^Well I think there is an advantage to keeping all the aces up your sleeve, as they did in Baidoa, the announcement will come soon insha Allah. There maybe more factors to this than just warlords, the troops strength needed to secure certain areas might not be in place yet.

^^^

Half-truth agreements are the only thing Somalis are known for.

Mogadishu is not baidio. Please don’t compare the two together. A government who depends on foreign troops to bring law and order and sustain its existence proves that the majority of the Somalis don't support of such a government.

^^^Both remarks are incorect, Mogadishu is like Baidoa, bigger yes the task more difficult but the TFG is much stronger than before and has learned allot from the warlords, clan courts and other groups since moving to Baidoa.

Foreigners have been involved all the time, from Eritrea to the foreign master minds pushing the strings within the courts umbrella. The fact that all Somali's par a few self interest groups are happy with the TFG higlights it has great support specially amongst the disadvantaged unarmed clans of the fertile south.

Thus one does not hear any demonstrations in the central regions, Marka, Barava, Baidoa, Bakool region, or the Lower Shabbele. Thus your argument is the majority of Somali's live in one or two districts of Mogadishu..

king_450   

It seems to me every one here missed the Big Picture here. If i read correctly the Title it said "Clan Leaders Met". In nature Somalis are clan based society and it will never go away so by accepting this first it will enable to see eye to eye and measure up each other. I will forward to the next level i would like to see every Somali Passport to have a part where we can identify your Clannish. No more hiding behind the banner of solely being Somali! Let's know each other who we are dealing with and if you find out that person is not what you want associate then leave and never converse. Of course this is my only and only sole opinion.

This is another fantacy again posted by the fantacist of all time...

My friend, given the fact that these former drug lords have lost all their power and weaponry to the UIC and left the country empty handed. Now that the UIC have lost everything to the TFG & Ethiopians and with that brought the return of the Mighty lords of Mogadishu, thus My question is how have these men managed to re-arm themselves again - and then again to hold a meeting for them to agree and sign the disarmament deal - this was pathetic waste of time, Why first of all allow to them to so again to re-do...

Are these men the clan elders? or men with good reputation and have the support of the people and thus can represent them?

I think the so called government is weak in every sense, lack commonse and have no clear purpose only except military power, thanks to ethio, that they boost. That alone won't work, they are politically weak, they harbor corrupt personalities, lack clear agenda, strategically confussed?

So now tell me Duke, how will they work out perhaps you will try some magic...

N.O.R.F   

Key Somali warlords agree to disarm

12_somalia2_ap_4.jpg

Dead and wounded Somali men lie on the ground after clan gunmen fired a rocket-propelled grenade and exchanged gunfire with government troops outside the presidential residence in Mogadishu.

link

Al burcaawi

They fired on government troops and breached the security of Villa Somalia. It's unfortunate that such actions and miscommunications happened but inshallah nothing like that will happen again.

Tukaale

The UIC was composed of clan based structures. Once they fell these guys went to their clan leaders and essentially sent there loyalty to their warlord.

This is a step forward. If these militias are in a national army it will only help speed the process of having any foreign nation in Somalia.

^^No warlord had the ability to stay in his own country at the time of the UIC let alone having guns and controlling malitia, Why give them that chance now? And then later try to tell to disarm - Isn't that show of hypocracy, nothing genuine

Something is fishy, me thinks

^^^Both remarks are incorect, Mogadishu is like Baidoa, bigger yes the task more difficult but the TFG is much stronger than before and has learned allot from the warlords, clan courts and other groups since moving to Baidoa.

Your opinion on what is correct and what isn’t is insignificant to me. Baidio isn’t the capital city of Somalia. The TFG has to deal with Islamic militia hiding in Mogadishu, violent protests, and getting the full support of the residents of Mogadishu and not only their clan leaders, none of those dilemmas faced the TFG while they were stationed in Baidio. It appears like they have learned little so far, other than knowing how to be sufficient liars.

Foreigners have been involved all the time, from Eritrea to the foreign master minds pushing the strings within the courts umbrella. The fact that all Somali's par a few self interest groups are happy with the TFG higlights it has great support specially amongst the disadvantaged unarmed clans of the fertile south.

Thus one does not hear any demonstrations in the central regions, Marka, Barava, Baidoa, Bakool region, or the Lower Shabbele. Thus your argument is the majority of Somali's live in one or two districts of Mogadishu..

Eritrea’s involvement isn’t one which would have any impact on Somalia as a nation. However foreign countries such as Ethiopia and US are the ones which could determine the fate of the Somalia nation. Two million people live in Mogadishu, i don’t know how many live in those other regions but they are regions which are under populated. You should be focused on Mogadishu, no peace in Mogadishu means there is hardly any peace in the nation.