Sign in to follow this  
Emperor

US envoy for Somalia, Yates: Somaliland will take part in the Somali clan meeting

^^^Can you back up that claim that the UN, EU and US consider Somaliland a special case?

I think you and I might consider it special but the world powers see it as part fo Somalia.

No one can deny those named ambassadors although they are all from those countries that have a direct interest in Somalia. Still it is a name and they are not based in Mogadishu due to security related issues.

But the US policy towards Somaliland is changing ,, and even the other world.

Those advantages are going to the both sides so far ,,,,, the issue of recognition is one big challenge but things seem to be changing quickly.

Soon ONE SOMALIA and SOMALILAND will sit and discuss the issue under the supervision of IGAD, AU, US, EU and others.

Duke, the U.S. has wait and see policy in regards to Somalia. With the current problems in Iraqi i dont really feel the U.S. is jump into hard putting back together all they want is for Somalia not be terrorist heaven. In the case of Yemen we all know their postion which is arab league postion about having somalia as one, Ethiopia on the other hand has a diplomatic office in somaliland and deals with somaliland apart from the TFG. And for Uganda its has troops their so its obvious they will have some sort of link with the TFG. But like a stated before in the end i feel their will be two separte nations in th horn of africa with the world staying out of it and allowing both somaliland and somalia talk with each other.

^^^I dont think the US policy now can be categorised as wait and see, the US has gotten involved in the Somali issue directly, we all know without their consent we would not have had a change in the US security council as well as the support of the Ethiopians and the Ugandan troops.

Indeed things have changed we have a US governemnt supporting the TFG, the national reconciliation conference, and the national elections of 2009. All things which Somaliland does not like.

JB:

The security of Mogadishu is improving, its a given it will take some time.

But we already have many powerful countries such as Russia & China receiving our newly appointed Ambassadors to those nations.

It is all Ok ,,,,,,,,,, just want to highlight that i like peace in Somalia as a muslim and as a Somali.

Like A/Y said ,, let's settle Somalia first then we talk ,,,,,,,, isn't that Ok ??

or someone want to come with tanks and give orders where Siad Barre failed ?? :D

What do you mean somaliland does not like U.S. Supporting the TFG and Reconclilation talks lol brother. Why are you hot and botherd from my comments Duke, i have never seen you mad like this old boy lool. Any the U.S. involment is only their due to the worry of the return of the ICU old boy. The U.S. wanted the ICU gone and is supporting the TFG to make sure it stays gone lol. For the up coming talks i somaliland as no issue with it let the clans in the south sort out thier differences and be in peace with each other thats something somaliland is not scared of and for elections in 2009 somaliland is also support of it for the simple fact that the TFG needs a good clean out of bad leaderships starting from the president down to the prime minsiter lol. So your points are really not strong old boy. The U.S. has talked with the TFG and Somaliland. They know somaliland views clearly and unless you are President of the U.S. dont assume what the U.S. policy is for Somaliland is lets wait and see shell we cause so far i have seen a slow move in the separtation of somaliland from somalia.

^^^I like your style saxib. I have said it before there is no need for conflict in Somalia everything should be done through dialogue. Somaliland has many things going for it.

Somalithinker I am talking about the regime in Hargaysa and not people like brother JB. The likes of Faisal Warrabe and Co, hate the notion of a united Somalia which the TFG represents in principle. They also hate the idea that Somaliland delegates will or even should participate in the upcoming reconciliation conference.

well Ali mahdi spoke out .

Guddoomiyaha guddiga shirka dib u heshiisiinta qaranka Soomaaliyeed Md. Cali Mahdi Max'ed, ayaa ku dhawaaqay in tirada ergada ka soo qayb galeyso oo markii hore lagu sheegay 3 kun oo qof, hoos loo dhimay oo la gaarsiyey 1,325.

Hobyonet. Muqdisho Sabti, May, 19, 2007

Cali Mahdi oo shir jaraa'id ku qabtay xarunta madaxtooyada ee Villa Soomaaliya, kadib kulan uu la yeeshay wasiir ku xigeenka arrimaha dibedda ee dalka Talyaaniga oo booqasho ku timid magaalada Muqdisho, ayaa sheegay in shirkaasi lagu qaban doono xarunta booliska ee ku taala degmada C/casiis ee magaalada Muqdisho.

Cali Mahdi, waxa uu sheegay in maalinta talaadada ah ee soo socoto ergooyin loo kal diri doono dhammaan gobolada dalka, si ay casuumaad ugu fidiyaan qabaa'ilada Soomaalid.

Cali Mahdi, oo wax laga weydiiyey in ay shirkaasi ka soo qayb galayaan Somali-land, ayaa sheegay in Soomaaliya ay Soomaaliya tahay, ayna Somali-land ka soo qayb gali doonto shirkaasi.

Guddoomiyaha guddiga shirka dib u heshiisiinta qaranka, waxa uu ku sheegay sababaha loo dhimay tirada ergada ee ka qayb galeys kulan dib u heshiisiinta in ay tahay arrimo dhaqaale.

M/weynaha iyo ra'isal wasaaraha dowladda KMG ah ee Soomaaliya ayaa waxa ay kal hor ku dhawaaqeen in shirkaasi ay ka soo qayb galayaan ergo gaareyso 3 kun oo qof.

Beesha caalamka oo ay ku jiraan Midowga reer Yurub iyo Jaamacadda Carabta, ayaa sheegay in ay taageero u fidin doonaan Dowladda KMG ah, haddii shirka dib u heshiisiinta uu si wanaagsan u dhaqan galo.

Ahmad Dahir

Hobyonet. Muqdisho Soomaaliya

I wouldnt have any problems with Somaliland being recognized as an independent country. Then, suddenly, the company with branches in Hargeisa and Mogadishu would become a multinational corporation. Not bad smile.gif

Xargaga   

New Special Envoy for Somalia Says Successful Reconciliation Congress Biggest Challenge

Somaliland.Org — Hargeisa, Somaliland — 20 May, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The United States' new envoy for Somalia, Ambassador John Yates, speaking to VOA by telephone from Nairobi, says that since the heavy fighting of three weeks ago has subsided, the biggest challenge is to make progress toward holding a reconciliation conference.

"I think that what one could say now," he said, "is that we would like very much to see the cessation of hostilities that has been going on now for three weeks to be formalized into a more durable ceasefire, actually. And then the big challenge is to have an independent and successful reconciliation congress."

Ambassador Yates says he is urging that negotiations continue so that a fair and independent reconciliation congress can take place that will map out the way to a new constitution and elections by 2009.

"We are trying to encourage the Hawiyes in Mogadishu and to push, to push -- I'll use that word -- the Transitional Government, specifically Abdulahi Yusuf, to continue the political dialogue that they have begun, and we hope that they can reach some sort of rapprochement that will permit a fit, fair and independent reconciliation congress," he continued.

Asked whether Somaliland, which has declared itself independent of Somalia, would participate in the congress, Ambassador Yates said it was unlikely, based on discussions he had last week with the foreign minister of Somaliland. However, he said some Somalilanders may participate through the clan-based selection of delegates.

Speaking about the thousands of refugees that fled the fighting in Mogadishu and are now without shelter and other basic necessities, Ambassador Yates said he hopes a permanent ceasefire will allow people to return to their homes and in the meantime, the United States is urging the Transitional Federal Government to open up all the airports and to permit all food items to flow to the internally displaced persons.

Source: VOA

just like the way many previous staged reconciliation conferences, were never without bought/saleouts, claiming to represent somaliland.This too will not be an exception

A.J.   

There will be no envoy from Somaliland at that conference. this conference is clan based and has no substance whatsoever to Somaliland.