Sign in to follow this  
Haddad

The name AbdulWahhab

Haddad   

This is for those who know Arabic; I have some questions about the name AbdulWahhab:

1. Can a Muslim shorten it; can he call himself Wahhab or Al-Wahhab?

2. If a Muslim named AbdulWahhab develops a theory, can it be named the Wahhabi or Al-Wahhabi theory?

3. This is related to question #2: If another Muslim named Abdullah develops a theory, following the shortening method, how would the theory be named after him?

4. If question #1 isn't possible, what's the ruling of the Islamic teachings about Muslims who use it (either by naming themselves as such, or calling others as such)?

For the moderators of this section of the forum, please remove this topic if you find it unsuitable. Thank you.

Nur   

Haddad Bro.

This is a good topic for discussion. The Usage of Descriptive Names of Allah ( Asmaa ul Husnaa)

There are three categories of Names of Allah from the Asma-ul Husnaa.

1. Prohibited Names: Special Names of Allah SWT: Like Allah, Rahman, Khaliq, Bari, Qayum, in general any name that is not applicable ti humans.

2. Names that can be used with but without the preficx AL: Kareem, Al Xayy, (The Living), Wahaab, Qawy ( strong).

3. Names that can be used with the descriptive AL, like Al Mumin, Al Caziz, etc.

I placed Wahhab in the second category, as it means giver of gift, so a person can be a giver of gift but can not be THE Giver of Gift.

That was an over simplification, but the topic is amajor area of study by the Linguists in Islamic Studies, let us hear other Nomads take on this.

Wallahu Aclam

Nur

Haddad   

Originally posted by Nur:

I placed Wahhab in the second category, as it means giver of gift, so a person can be a giver of gift but can not be THE Giver of Gift.

Bro. Nur, thanks for the prompt response. I read online Arabic newspapers and magazines, and sometimes come across the terms الوهابى and الوهابيون. I was wondering about why they don't use عبدالوهابى or عبدالوهابيون.

Salma   

Originally posted by Haddad:

quote:Originally posted by Nur:

Bro. Nur, thanks for the prompt response. I read online Arabic newspapers and magazines, and sometimes come across the terms
الوهابى
and
الوهابيون
. I was wondering about why they don't use
عبدالوهابى
or
عبدالوهابيون
1- The term "Wahhabyoon" was related to the followers of Shaikh Mohd bin Abdul Wahhab (Allah Yrxamo) who founded a reformation movement to unite the Muslims again by returning back to the real message of Islam which is "Al Tawxiid".

To tell you the truth, this name "Wahhabi" or "Wahhabism" is not accepted by those who approved the Shaikh's ideas and teachings. If I follow his teachings which are based on Ibn Tamiya's and Ibn Al Qayyem's (May Allah grant them the highest heavens) which were originally based on Al Quraan and the Sunna, then simply the follower should be called "Muslim" or " Ahl Al Sunna Wal Jamaca" or even "salafi". At the end there are many names for the Sunna followers. It just that some enemies and ignorant Muslims used this name to show that there is another sect in Islam called "Wahabyoon". They thought if they play with names; that will divide the Muslims and make gaps between them.

2- 2nd, We cant make the word "Wahhabi" plural, coz its one of the 99 names of Allah (SWT)and its prohibitied to make any name comes after Cabd (Abdul) plural like Abdul Rahmanyoon, Abdul Wahabyoon, AbdulRasheedon...etc

I believe terms like "calawyoon" " Fatimyoon" "Mwaxidoon" "Mahdiyoon",,, etc or any other human names can be pluralized but not Allah's name.

Allah knows the best.

OG_Girl   

Brother Hadaad, I'm not sure if I got your question right , correct me if I'm wrong. I undertood that you were asking why people just use

" صÙØ© من صÙات الله من دون كلمة عبد قبلها، لا بد أن تعر٠وهاب مشتقه من وهبه ...Ùهي كلمه عربيه. أستطيع أن أقول الواهب أو الواهبون ...كأشخاس . طبعا الواهب ألأعظم هوالله.

For example my family name is " Almaliki" just becauce my great grand father was named "Malik" but as Arab we use "Al" لتعريÙ

Hope I got you right.

Salam