Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Riyaale tour: A boost to efforts to fast-track Recognition Process

President Daahir Riyaale's tour to the UK and the USA cements the continued push by Somalilanders to gain their rightful and well-deserved recognition from the leaders of the International community.

For starters, this current visit by Daahir Riyaale, marks a historic milestone in the long quest by Somaliland to put its case on the forefront international diplomatic circles. And hence, kick start the process which will eventually lead to fruitation in as far as Somaliland's recogition by the international community is concerned. This visit also marks a new chapter between the USA and Somaliland, in that for the first time the USA is committed to engaging Somaliland directly without any strings attached to the new-found relationship.

Many of the naysayers here in SOL praded like a headless chicken by mis-interpretting the diplomatic-lingua coded press breifing by the State Department. This quote below marks the core of the issue at hand and it seems that it is very hard for the "nay-sayers" to swallow and digest it.

Quote: There's no change in our policy position vis-à-vis recognition of Somaliland. We are not on the verge of recognizing Somaliland. There's a process underway that the AU is engaged in and we are going to be watching very closely that situation, but there's no change in our policy: End Quote

Two things is learned from the above quote:

1. That the US Policy towards Somaliland has not changed

2. That the US is "very closely" following the AU led process

In the first point, the United States policy as published here clearly states the following Quote: "Our policy on recognition is to allow the African Union to first deliberate on the question. We do not want to get ahead of the continental organization on an issue of such importance.": End Quote.

Of course, as far as Somaliland is concerned, that is very understandable. But what Somaliland is interested in is for the US to put pressure on the AU "to fast-track the process" as was published by the Somalialnd Foreign Ministery in this Press Release. Hence, that was the whole reason why Daahir Riyaale visited Washington DC.

In the second point, we have the US acknowleding the existance of an “AU led process” in regards to Somaliland’s recogntion. And that the US is "very closely" watching. In diplomatic terms, when a country is “closely” following an event, it means that there is a "huge interest”. Thus, there is no doubts that the US will be involved in "behind-the-scenes" talks with the AU in relation to “fast-tracking” the recognition process.

That said, it seems the “nay-sayers” and the “Xabashi occupation supporters” have either lost the compass on this or they are completely fooling themselves about the realities on the gruond. I quite frankly laughed hard at the sort of headlines published by websites run by the “xabashi occupation supporters”.

----------

banaanbax.jpg

I want the Odayaasha Golaha like Dr, Odweyne and Baashi to give their frank take on this.

The usual yap-yappers of the likes of "me" and "Nayruus" and these days "Duke and Co." please stay away. :D

N.O.R.F   

Suldaanka, I was waiting for more fanfare from the TFG camp before highlighting the obvious :D

Fact Sheet

Bureau for African Affairs

Washington, DC

December 5, 2007

United States Policy on Somaliland

The United States currently engages the Somaliland administration and has provided assistance, for example to the election effort. Our policy on recognition is to allow the African Union to first deliberate on the question. We do not want to get ahead of the continental organization on an issue of such importance.

As indicated in the full quote above, the United States continues to engage with the administration in Somaliland on a range of issues, most directly Somaliland’s continued progress towards democratization and economic development.

In FY 2007, the United States provided a total of $1 million through the International Republican Institute to support training for parliamentarians and other key programs in preparations for the upcoming municipal and presidential elections in Somaliland. We expect to provide an additional $1.5 million in continued support for the democratization process in Somaliland following the elections.

While we continue to engage with the Somaliland administration, we do believe that the African Union is the most appropriate forum to address the question of recognition of Somaliland as an independent state. We understand that Somaliland is pursuing bilateral dialogue with the African Union and its member-states in this regard.

However, as the African Union continues to deliberate on this issue, the United States will continue to engage with all actors throughout Somalia, including Somaliland, to support the return of lasting peace and stability in the Horn of Africa.

US State Dept.

If Riyalle's visit puts the spot light back on the SL issue, it would be ocnsidered enough. I also have a feeling that with the elections coming up, some sort of assurances/support for him might have been mumoured (with Ethio prods of course).

North,

There is enough clues for anyone to release the direction the wind is blowing. But it seems as though the "occupation supporters" choosed to ignore and instead as usual hope that some devine intervention will somehow fall from the skies and prevent what is bound to take place.

Somaliland's recogntion is not a matter of "If" but is a matter of "When".

Of course what we know publicly is just the "tip of the ice-burg" when compared to the wide ranging issues that SL delegation discussed with their counterparts in Washington. Among those issues discussed include the proposed AFRICOM, USAID projects among other topics.

The reception accorded to the delegation was on par with the kind of reception accorded to any other foreign dignitary. It was beyond the expectations of Somalilanders.

And also the fact that the delegation used Somaliland's own Passports is very encouraging.

As for our domestic policking, Daahir Riyaale is surely on the upswing in the popularity rating in Hargeisa. The UDUB Government is on an election winner if it continues with these positive strides that it was undertaking in the pass 6 months. It so seems that they had been saving all this to coincide with the Election Year. :D

Thankful   

I can't help but slightly admire your obsession for independance. After getting a message like that from the state department you still haven't given up hope, and see it as a positive sign and twisted the press release; it's almost like a brain washed cult of some sort. But yeah The only problem that the majority of Somalis from ALL over have is what you also believe

That the U.S is very closely following the AU led process

Don't think for one second the U.S gives a damn about Somalia, Puntland or Somaliland. They are in primaries right now and Somalia isnt' an issue in any of them and won't be for the presidential elections. Also, your leaders visit wasn't on any media reports or the state departments website.

Suldaanka, to try to prevent the occasional reader of this topic from being deceived by your delusional mind, I challenge you to provide the audience with the source of the following in one of the paragraphs from the link you cited and highlighted as “Press Release” other than from SNM gang’s websites.

"The lack of recognition ties the hands of the authorities and people of Somaliland as they cannot effectively and sustainably transact with the outside to pursue the reconstruction and development goals." "the AU should be disposed to judge the case of Somaliland from an objective historical viewpoint and a moral angle vis-à-vis the aspirations of the people."

In other words who in AU or which committee said that and where did they published?

The official stand of the AU organisation on this mad and fancy ONE PROJECT of dismembering the Somali Republic can be found in the following press release dated on 26 April 2004.

Read the whole document if you want but here I have copied for you Mr. and Ms. Reader the relevant section of the AU stand to this discussion:

20. Since they unilaterally declared the independence of their region, in

1991, the authorities of Somaliland have made sustained efforts to obtain

international recognition. So far, these efforts have not yielded any result. On

13 March 2004, I received the President of Somaliland, who briefed me on the

situation in that region and the achievements made over the past years. He

stressed the need for the international community to accord international

recognition to Somaliland. In the meantime, he requested an observer status

within the AU, to enable Somaliland to follow the developments in the Union.

On my part, I explained that the concerns of Somaliland could be addressed

within the federal framework agreed upon in Mbagathi, in the context of the

unity of Somalia. I stressed the need for Somaliland to contribute to the

success of the Reconciliation Conference and to make concrete proposals to

that effect.

Sul, you have ran of gas man, the stress should not overpowered you. Your survival and dignity is within the Somali Republic….Akhii, get over it. It is just a case of bad dream… :D

Nayruus,

Somaliland's foreign policy in reality never got off the ground until Dahir Riyaale named Dr. Edna Adan as the the Foreign Minister of Somaliland.

Dr. Edna Adan oversaw the complete overhauling of the Foreign Policy shift in which Somaliland was undertaking since Year 2004. The fruits of that policy shift was the arrival of the African Union fact finding mission led by the Deputy Chairman of the organisation, Patrick Mazimhaka.

After, Mr. Patrick Mazimhaka prepared a complete and comprehensive Report on Somaliland. In that report, the Fact Finding mission made some very clear and very precise points on the way forward inasfaras dealing with the "Outstanding case" of Somaliland is concerned.

It explicitly argues that, Somaliland's case is "Special" and "that it should not be linked to the notion of 'opening pandora's box'".

The Report was widely distributed among the African Head of States and it recieved a huge support from "key" African states.

The issue about Somaliland today is not about whether it is legit or not, that is very well acknowleged by everyone, but it is an issue in which politics is the only barrier. And that is currently where it stands.

Daahir Riyaale's visit to the USA and UK is part of breaking down these political barriers.

me   

Originally posted by Suldaanka:

I want the Odayaasha Golaha like Dr, Odweyne and Baashi to give their
frank
take on this.

The usual yap-yappers of the likes of "me" and "Nayruus" and these days "Duke and Co." please stay away.
:D

Is this an invitation :D

me   

Suldaanka and other members of the cult,

Lets be realistic here. The secessionist entity is a maamul goboleed in a failed state.

If it got recognition today, which it won't get, it would be a failed state.

Its has been now 16 years since the UDI, what’s its greatest achievement so far?

There has been a civil war between the clans pushing for independence. There is an uneasy truce, lie to others but those who got evicted from Burco still haven't forgotten and they are biding their time.

The people from Sool, Sanaag and Cayn are already arming themselves and soon the aggressive policy the secessionist mafia will be answered.

In terms of economic development the secessionist entity is not doing much better then the rest of the country.

In terms of stability it doesn't do much better then Puntland or other areas in the Midlands of Somalia.

How about health, education and infrastructure? How far has the secessionist entity come since the 17 years of the UDI? How far has the secessionist entity come since the 11 years of the habro-wars?

17 years since UDI and the secessionists are a failed state, if it was recognized now, it wouldn’t do much better the rest of Somalia, actually I believe the rest of Somalia will do better, while the North west slides into a civil war.

This limbo is what has saved the North West so far. So be thankful that no one is recognizing the secessionist entity.

A.J.   

^^^^^^^^^

You're logic is very misfounded sxb. Somaliland has been very succesful when standing on its own two feet for almost 18 years and if recoqnition was to come in the near future it would only help Somaliland further develop its already growing statehood. Its success would only be enhanced through recoqnition, as it would give Somaliland the financial resources it needs to continue its progress and development as a young state.