Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Inside Story Somaliland Vs Somalia Aljazeera video

landish   

Originally posted by Hales:

Exactly its not a democratic process, because it does not allow room for debate for unity, the professor pointed out that he would not be allowed to speak of anything of the sort democratically if he ever left for Hargeisa.

During its spree of conquest after the Barre regime collapsed the SNM in turn forcefully conquered Awdal and subjugated the civillian population under their control.

As for the Waqooyi regions in 1991 by the time of the referendum of which you could call rather disorganized and hasty it was under a climate of great fear and the population was terrorized to vote in the way they wanted.

So there was no freedom there.

Lastly even if the people of waqooyi galbeed do want to seccede Somaliland should not be allowed to annex or hold on to regions whose populace overwhelmingly are against secceding from Somalia.

Im talking about regions which were part of the former British Somaliland such as the SSC and cities such as Garowe perhaps if their is a Somali Republic it should continue Puntlands foreign policy which is to delegitimize Somaliland idea of seccession, it should exploit these clear gaps and do its utmost to stop allowing the Hargeisan Administration to taking and holding to these regions until seccession.

There are 1.1 Million eligible voters, meaning these numbers are of age to vote. So i would estimate include the rest of the population, the total population running at 2.7Million (including adults who wont vote) rather than the 3.5 Million which are the figures.

Actually its only 1.1 millions people that were registered. AS it seems that you were misinformed that the fact during the registration process alot of people in different regions couldnt registered due to technical issue which some folks saw it as being politically maneuvered. For example in hargeysa, if you go back and researched it in the news what happen back then, alot of people couldn't regitered since the office closed earlier and the registration only went on for couple of days, which consequently created alot of resentment and anger from the population. Therefore the number that we have is grossly sub-numbered to the number of eligible voters. I hope that helps in your delusional estimation.

Hales   

The 3.5 Million estimate covers the whole part of the Former British land, good parts of Sool are still under Puntland control and other regions such as Eastern Sanaaq are under dispute.

But im taking most people have now registered considering that the voting was very near, that video was released two days ago so itd be reasonable to conclude that the ones that havent registered is minimal and would not number in the high hundreds of thousands since most have already registered.

So my estimate would still be reasonable, in fact you could say i overdid the previous population post i would say its around closer to 2.5-7Million and if you include the whole of British Somaliland it would increase to about as high as 2.8-9?

The voting has now started and the number is at 1.6, that is the number of people that are registered and are going to vote.

landish   

You see when you say "But im taking most people have now registered" you assume that that people could registered after the registration day was passed but unfortunately is not the case. The number has not increase to 1.6 mil (and i dont know exactly where you get your fictional number) but it still remain at 1.1 mil( as it was stated by the election commission). So your estimation is still wrong so is your assumption. When your doing such calculation dont forget that almost 70% of the SL population is under 25 years old (a larger number of those are under 17), the registration process did not include a large number of the population whether is in hargeysa, gabiley, togdheer, sanaag and sool. Even if you eliminate the population located in those "villages" of eastern sanaag and south-eastern sool minus las canood, your calculation is under estimated. Basically what im trying to tell you is to never assume as well as coming up to fictional numbers (e.g 1.6 mil)

Hales   

But when i saw the Aljazeera figures i assumed there was an increase, unless the initial figures are wrong..

Heres the link http://english.aljazeera.net/news/2010/06/201062411212732918.html

More than 1.6 million people have registered to vote at more than 1,000 polling sites. Kahin, leader of the Democratic United National party, or Udub, was elected president in 2003 with 42.08 per cent of ballots cast in an election won by 80 votes. All three candidates promised to seek out more international recognition of Somaliland to maintain region's security and economic development. Residents hope it will help the region win more respect. "This election means a bridge to international recognition and it will show the world that Somaliland is practising democracy," Hussein Abdullahi Bulhan, the head of Hargeisa University, said

landish   

^^they were wrong.... The registration list was final and it couldnt be changed after that..thats the reason why so many ppl were angry when they couldnt registered since the election commission only gave two days which was ridiculous...anyhow i wouldnt suggest you not to rely on one newspaper outlet to satisfy your knowledge (other papers are reporting it with the correct number) and if you really want to know the truth go to the source (result given to national election commission)