Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

WSJ-Sharif Hotel interview an insight into failure

Wall Street Journal: What has your government achieved this past year?

Somali President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed:

If I consider where we were, where we've reached now and all the challenges we've faced, we feel we've accomplished a great deal. When we came to power there was no organized army, no economic activity, no government institutions running. Now we have a functioning government, we've reconstituted the army, the economic sector's working, so we've accomplished a great deal, considering, and the government remained in power despite the challenge it faced from the enemy.

WSJ: When we spoke last February, you said that you hoped to bring stability back to Somalia within a year. What happened?

Mr. Sharif: What was not in our calculation at the time is that the enemy prepared itself and wanted to bring down this government before it could stand on its own feet. I'm glad to report that we have been able to remain in place and defend ourselves from this. We have also built the institutions, the security sector the justice system the other government institutions and have accomplished this while protecting ourselves at the same time.

WSJ: What is the army's capacity? There have been reports of government fighters defecting because they weren't being paid, or selling their weapons to militants, or that they are infiltrated by Shabaab.

Mr. Sharif: There might be some exaggeration in what people say. It is possible that a soldier who hasn't been paid for a number of months may sell his gun to feed his family. But that's not that common. To say our forces are defecting to Shaabab is not true.

WSJ: How many districts of Mogadishu does government control?

Mr. Sharif: The most important districts in Mogadishu are controlled by government today.

WSJ: Do you know how many?

Mr. Sharif: No. :D

WSJ: The prime minister has said that the government expects to have liberated Mogadishu entirely by the end of January. Is this still accurate, and how do you plan to do so?

Mr. Sharif: It is our hope that Mogadishu would be freed in the soonest possible time.

WSJ: By the end of January?

Mr. Sharif: We can't speak to specific timetables.

WSJ: Are you planning a new military offensive?

Mr. Sharif: We are constantly fighting.

WSJ: What impact have the foreign fighters had on destabilizing Somalia?

Mr. Sharif: The role of the foreign fighters is very important. They have a leadership role and they prepare the strategy, and they organize these forces.

WSJ: What's their relationship with al Shabaab?

Mr. Sharif: They have a leadership role. They do lead al Shabaab, along with Somalis who have trained with them in Afghanistan.

WSJ: Has their presence altered the government's strategy?

Mr. Sharif: As you know al Qaeda is an international phenomenon, and their assets and techniques are also wide-ranging. They pose a threat to the people of Somalia, to the region and to the international community. This changes the dynamics, and how we need to address this force, with the wider community. This is a more sinister war than a local one.

WSJ: Does that imply a larger role for the international community?

Mr. Sharif: Without a doubt. The problems faced by Somalia now is not one that can be dealt with by the Somalis alone. So we need to get some assistance from the international community to fight this menace.

WSJ: Are you getting the support you need?

Mr. Sharif: The support we get is much less than what we anticipated, and than what we need. … We need assistance in building the Somali national forces, in equipping them and providing the needs that they have to conduct themselves so that they can get the country out of the difficult situation it finds itself in. So we need assistance in providing services to our people, in education, health and so on, reconstruction. We need assistance in helping to develop the economy.

WSJ: The Americans have offered significant support. What's your assessment of their contributions?

Mr. Sharif: It's a lot less than what we expected from the US. …The issue is not just money. It is a country that is destroyed, that has the presence of al Qaeda, that needs a comprehensive plan.

WSJ: Reconciliation efforts?

Mr. Sharif: There's been great progress in reconciliation. Some people that opposed us joined the government. Others we have a working relationship and we're in the process of uniting our forces.

WSJ: Piracy in Somalia has grown into a more sophisticated business in the past year. What's your assessment of how to combat it?

Mr. Sharif: So long as there's no peace and security in Somalia, it is hard to deal with the issue of piracy. Every time they get large ransoms, they reinforce their capacity to do harm. That's the challenge.

WSJ: What is your most significant accomplishment this year?

Mr. Sharif: The things we're most proud of is the reconstitution, or rebuilding of the Somali national forces, which we think is the key to securing the country. And the restarting of Radio Mogadishu, which has been off the air since 1991, which is something we're proud of.

WSJ: What did the Somali forces look like when you came into office, compared to how they are now?

Mr. Sharif: It's a long story.

WSJ: Can you offer a few examples of how the army has improved?

Mr. Sharif: I'm not sure where to start. What I can say is that we have spent a lot of time and effort in rebuilding these forces and we're at a place where we're very happy. They need a great deal more work -- we're not done yet. Thank you.

Muqdisho: Shariif oo qiray in looga baxay Balan qaadyo loo sameeyey dawladdiisa.

19. januar 2010

APL

Muqdisho(AllPuntland)- Madaxweynaha dawladda KMG ah ee Soomaaliya Shariif Sheekh Axmed ayaa ka hadlay xaaladaha ay ku sugan tahay dawladda KMG ah ee Soomaaliya, isagoo soo qaaday dagaalada qaraar ee ka socda Muqdisho iyo awood la’aanta dawladda uu masuuliyadeeda hayo.

Shariif wuxuu sheegay in ay dawladdu ku sugan tahay xaalad qaraar, isagoo tibaaxay in hadii aysan helin gacanta dawladdaha Caalamka ay noqon doonto mid ku fashilinta wax ka qabashada xaaladaha Siyaasadeed iyo amaanka ee dalka Soomaaliya.

Madaxweynaha dawladda KMG ah mar uu ka hadlayay arrimaha balanqaadyada ee uga yimaada dalalka Caalamka, ayuu sheegay in lugu hungoobey balan-qaayadaasi, isla markaasna ay bixin waayeen dalalkii balan qaaday lacagaha iyo taageerooyinka dawladda KMG ah ee Soomaaliya.

Shariif wuxuu qiray in ay dawladdiisu maamusho oo kaliya 2 KM oo kuyaala magaalada Muqdisho, wuxuuna cadeeyey in kooxaha ka soo horjeeda dawladdiisu ay diyaarsadeen awooda badan oo ay doonayaan in ay afka ciida ugu daraan.

Madaxweynaha KMG ah ayaa sheegay in difaacida ciidamada AMISOM ee dawladdu ay ku taagan tahay, ayna dhici karto humaajin adag oo lugu sameeyo ciidamadaasi in ay dhacdo, isagoo tibaaxay in ay Kooxaha Islaamiyiinta diyaar uyihiin dagaal adag oo ay lagalaan dawladdiisa oo aan laheyn awood Milateri.

“ Cadowga naga soo horjeeda, waxa ay diyaar gareysteen qorshayaal sal adag oo ay ku doonayaan in ay afka ciida ugu daran dawladda KMG ah, hadii aysan gaarin hadafki ay lahayd, oo ahaa in ay la wareegto guud ahaan Soomaaliya, waxa ayna hada door bidanayaan in ay soo wareeraan halkan Vila Soomaaliya iyo xarumaha dawladda Soomaaliya, waa in aan gacan wanaagsan ka helnaa dawladdaha Caalamka” Ayuu yiri Madaxweynaha dawladda KMG ah ee Soomaaliya.

Madaxweynaha dawladda KMG ah ayaa dawladdiisu tabcaan ay la tahay dagaalada uga imaanaya Xarakada Al- Shabaab & Ururka Xisbul Islaam, isla markaasna waxaan jirin ciidan difaaca dawladdiisa oo Soomaali ah, kuwaas oo ah kuwa tira yar hadana aan helin adeegyada ay ubaahan yihiin, taasoo keenaysa wel-welka Madaxweyne Shariif ee ku wajahan xaaladaha amaan ee Aqalka uu degan yahay ee Vila Soomaaliya.

F. C. Maxamed

AllPuntland

Sikaawe   

I respect the guy as a man, but again in my view he does not deserve to be president of Somalia. He would rather be local school/quran teacher, he does not have the credential nor the look.

WSJ: How many districts of Mogadishu does government control?

Mr. Sharif: The most important districts in Mogadishu are controlled by government today.

WSJ: Do you know how many?

Mr. Sharif: No.
:D

He does not even know how many districts he controls, thus what is he President of?

A failed man indeed :D

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Sikaawe:

I respect the guy as a man, but again in my view he does not deserve to be president of Somalia. He would rather be local school/quran teacher, he does not have the credential nor the look.

I respect your view and would like to ask you who your candidate would be for this post? Sharif Xassan, Ibbi? Muuse Suudi? Xuub-sireed? Riyaale? Faysal Cali Waraabe? Buubaa? Juriile? Mowliid Macaane? Qanyare? Bashiir Raage? C/Qaybdiid? Indhacadde? Faroole? Daba-geed? Maxamed

Dheere? Bari-Bari? Shongolle? Morgan? Abu-Mansur? Xaabsade? Cali

Mahdi? Darmaan? Maslax Maxamed Siyaad? Xassan D Aweys? Godane? Who am I missing? please help. A lot of choices! :D

I don't beleive that Sharif is the best man for this job but I think he is better than many in Somali politics. Plus let us rate him on his actions, personality and legacy because that is important too.

Is it an article of faith to “believe” he is the best man. Or should one judge the man on his performance?

Lets recap, remember the Kenya Sea scandal?

Remember the promises of “stopping the mortars” and bringing order back. How many districts does he run? He does not know.

Its been a year what has he achieved? He has visited, Turkey, USA, Arab World, he has bought some a new Armani suit and a Rolex watch. However he has yet to visit Balcad, Jowhar, his own birth place. He has not articulated a single policy of his government.

His government is the most corrupt; least organized and controls how many districts? He does not know. Now we have the Sharif Xasan inspired inflation coming in 2010, and the gullible ones will continue to “believe” as an article of faith, that this failure is the “best” man for the job, because he said so..

WSJ: What is the army's capacity? There have been reports of government fighters defecting because they weren't being paid, or selling their weapons to militants, or that they are infiltrated by Shabaab.

Mr. Sharif: There might be some exaggeration in what people say. It is possible that a soldier who hasn't been paid for a number of months may sell his gun to feed his family.
But that's not that common.
To say our forces are defecting to Shaabab is not true.

lool. Its not common but it happens right? :D

WSJ:
Has their presence altered the government's strategy?

Mr. Sharif:
As you know al Qaeda is an international phenomenon, and their assets and techniques are also wide-ranging. They pose a threat to the people of Somalia, to the region and to the international community. This changes the dynamics, and how we need to address this force, with the wider community. This is a more sinister war than a local one.

Now Somalia has Al Qaeda, give us break you toothless clown.

Either you have all grossly underestimated the man (and this is my belief), or I have grossly overestimated the man.

Either way, sooner or later, at least one of us is in for a BIG SURPRISE, and it's gonna be spectacular.

Sikaawe   

Originally posted by Abwaan:

quote:Originally posted by Sikaawe:

I respect your view and would like to ask you who your candidate would be for this post? Sharif Xassan, Ibbi? Muuse Suudi? Xuub-sireed? Riyaale? Faysal Cali Waraabe? Buubaa? Juriile? Mowliid Macaane? Qanyare? Bashiir Raage? C/Qaybdiid? Indhacadde? Faroole? Daba-geed? Maxamed

Dheere? Bari-Bari? Shongolle? Morgan? Abu-Mansur? Xaabsade? Cali

Mahdi? Darmaan? Maslax Maxamed Siyaad? Xassan D Aweys? Godane? Who am I missing? please help. A lot of choices!

I don't beleive that Sharif is the best man for this job but I think he is better than many in Somali politics. Plus let us rate him on his actions, personality and legacy because that is important too.
Non of those you mentioned, but simply likes of Noor-adde and others.