Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Chaos feared as Somaliland cancels elections

Somaliland is facing the ugly prospect of election -related violence akin to that which occurred in Kenya after the 2007 general election.

A self-declared independent state, Somaliland was set to hold its much-awaited presidential election on September 27.

Last week, the election commission indefinitely postponed the elections, citing the deteriorating political environment. The president later forcibly closed the breakaway republic’s parliament after it began debating impeachment charges against him.

The campaigns were marked by escalating tensions between the government and opposition parties, some of which were pushing for an election boycott. The presidential election has previously been postponed twice.

A group of researchers from Oxford University who recently carried out a comparative analysis between Somaliland and Kenya, also warn that Somaliland could explode into violence should the standoff between the government and the opposition continue.

Should violence erupt in Somaliland, then the entire former Somali republic will be engulfed in violence, given the continued war in Mogadishu between the Transitional Federal Government and Al-Shabaab.

Though not internationally recognised, Somaliland — which unilaterally declared its independence in 1991 following the collapse of Siad Bare’s government — held successful multiparty presidential elections in 2003 and parliamentary elections in 2005.

The presidential election was postponed in 2007 and again in 2008 due to what officials called technical problems, including inadequate voter registration. It was then set to be held before April 6, this year, following a civil registration process.

But Dr Nicole Stremlau, the co-ordinator of the Programme in Comparative Media Law and Policy at Oxford University, told The EastAfrican that their comparative analysis of the Kenyan situation and that of Somaliland indicates the latter is likely to explode in violence.

The fear of conflict springs from the fact that the tenure of Dahir Riyale Kahin has been extended several times, while the voter registration process is yet to be completed to the satisfaction of all parties, raising fear of election malpractices.

In 2003, a mere 80 votes separated President Riyale from his challenger, Ahmed Silanyo, leader of the opposition Kulmiye Party. Just like in the Kenyan scenario, the final vote count in 2003 was delayed for three days, during which some senior Kulmiye leaders rallied supporters to unilaterally declare an opposition victory.

Mr Silanyo conceded defeat following intense mediation, and after the Supreme Court ruled in Riyale’s favour, stating that he did not want to plunge Somaliland into a civil war. Anxiety that the elections would not be held after all, given the threat by the opposition to boycott, only served to raise tensions even before the polls were cancelled.

NGONGE   

We already know all that, JB. What's the latest? Did the Ucid nutcase calm down or has he broken ranks with Kulmiye for good? :D

The latest:

- Guurti discussing possible extension for the government.

- Parliament discussing possible impeachment of the government

- Sultans trying to be seen in the scene as the best mediators with no results yet

- Every party trying to play the last card they could before it is too late.

- Possibility of nominating an independent person to lead for elections

Still discussing different solutions but all came down to local mediation as the external ones seem to be out now ..............

Possibility of nominating an independent person to lead for elections

that’s the best option the rest wont work these sultans are all allied to daahir riyaale kahin

Men like suldan maxammad suldaan cabdiqadiir ina dhabeyee iyo boqor buur madow come one you know these men are riyaales puppet. I don’t trust these sultans.

Miid ay sadexda xisbi qarran dawlada iyo golaha guurtiida iyo golaha wakiilada ba oggalyihin , shacabkuna diidi mayo.. Qof wadanka uu soo halgamay dadku ku qanacsanyihin. Its not that hard to find an honest person, but are they willing to do that.

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

I asked you WHO ???? ,,, We all know who is who no ??? ,,,,

Look at those politicians and tell me who is "independent" ,,,,,,

i was thinking of the young sultan Sultan abdirisaaq who lives in emeraatka. oo aan siyaasada ku jiirin like his adeer

When i say that these people are always in hallucination and far from any knowledge is a proof that somali could see in here.

if anyone knows the knowledge of one the Intervenient in this thread sol would never had accepted in this midst where minimal education is a requirement to intervene.

the proof that the whole country is a mirqan invested open space marfash is as follow:

the following saying in this thread:

"Possibility of nominating an independent person to lead for elections".

Horta are they real this people or is there knowledge so limited that they don't even know the constitution of somaliland?

i call it the mirqan constitution.

IT is says clearly the following:

THE ELECTED PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT CAN ONLY BE REPLACED BY AN OTHER ELECTED PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT.

Look a simple and fundamental passage of your own constitution is being lectured by a person who is not even from mirqan land (myself).

But then again what do you expect?

somaliland is a land where nassaabnimo and somalinimo is far removed from.

The proof:

two subclan from two different clan figth on farmland where even tomotoes don't grow.

1 subclan loose the war as always and lost a lot of men.

instead of figthing back what they do?

an act never seen in somali nassaabnimo history.

They set a roadbloc catch innocent travelers that not even related to the figthing subclan.

and slaugther them because they share the same embrella clan name.

That is the state of mirqan far removed from reality state called by some somaliland.

Originally posted by djibsomali:

When i say that these people are always in hallucination and far from any knowledge is a proof that somali could see in here.

if anyone knows the knowledge of one the Intervenient in this thread sol would never had accepted in this midst where minimal education is a requirement to intervene.

the proof that the whole country is a mirqan invested open space marfash is as follow:

the following saying in this thread:

"Possibility of nominating an independent person to lead for elections".

Horta are they real this people or is there knowledge so limited that they don't even know the constitution of somaliland?

i call it the mirqan constitution.

IT is says clearly the following:

THE ELECTED PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT CAN ONLY BE REPLACED BY AN OTHER ELECTED PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT.

Look a simple and fundamental passage of your own constitution is being lectured by a person who is not even from mirqan land (myself).

But then again what do you expect?

somaliland is a land where nassaabnimo and somalinimo is far removed from.

The proof:

two subclan from two different clan figth on farmland where even tomotoes don't grow.

1 subclan loose the war as always and lost a lot of men.

instead of figthing back what they do?

an act never seen in somali nassaabnimo history.

They set a roadbloc catch innocent travelers that not even related to the figthing subclan.

and slaugther them because they share the same embrella clan name.

That is the state of mirqan far removed from reality state called by some somaliland.

your a very angry man :D

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

and who is the "independent" one you can trust ???

Clearly, Jb is Riyaale sympathizer, but plays good politics :D

Djibsomali...Give it rest.We get you don't care for Somaliland politics or people or I should say certain segment, but if you are really Somali, you wouldn't wish anything ill on the people of the north. No wants to see anything akin to the south.

Even I don't even understand what will you get out of Somaliland's demise?