Sign in to follow this  
Faahie

is working in non islamic banks wrong?

Faahie   

Assalaamaleykum. Hope that we all are aware of the banking concepts as practiced by the non islamic banking institution, i mean they both pay and charge interest on their transanctions of which is strictly prohibited as far as islam is concerned.frankly iam not well versed about islam but still i feel that getting employed in such institution is a questianable issue . Now pls can my learned bros/siss shade more light on this

praying for better understanding

jazakallah"

Hibo   

I don't know whether its right or wrong....but if I was going to work in a bank, I would choose an Islamic one.

Faahie   

A guard to a brothel?!!what an awful contrast I mean you may be right in your answear but with such an expression,iam afraid youll make the the muslim staff in these institutions form a union and file a suit against you for godsake dont tell me you didnt have enough time to at least explain you reasons. and take note brother if that brothel theme is applicable then we got lot of brothers and sisters in the acupation, now tell us how do we get them to undertand this .Shuld we just go out there and shout to them "hey you people your job discription has no difference with that of brothel guards" iam sure and youll also admit that this is not an islamic way to preach so brother yussuf why not withdraw such harsh comments and explain this in an islamic way

wassalaam

Salaama All,

Brotha Faahie.....These are the answers I got from a fatwa center after asking the same question...Basically, Working for a Non- Muslim Bank is Haraam or any Other Work that sells wine,pork, or Takes/charges Riba(interest)..Hope it's Helpful to you..

Ma'salaama...........................

1.Praise be to Allah, the lord of the Worlds: and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions. Working in a bank that does not comply, in its operations, with Islamic law is not allowed. The bank worker, in this case, has either to deal directly with usury contracts himself or to participate in carrying out such operations by helping other colleagues in writing or documentation. All this is forbidden. Allah says: (Help you one another in virtue and righteousness. But do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allah. Verily Allah is severe in punishment). (5: 2). It is narrated in a sound Hadith that prophet Muhammad. Cursed the person who eats Riba (usury and interest) the one who feeds with Riba, the one who writes it and its two witnesses. He said: “All of them are equal in sin” narrated by MUSLIM. What you should do then is do your best to find a lawful job that you could do. You should not link that job to banking or o ther areas. The condition should be only to find another job that is lawful and that you could carry out. We would like to draw your attention to two points: First, saying this job does not fit me is not an excuse in front of Allah, that could save you from His anger and punishment. Second, that anybody who fears Allah abiding by His orders and avoiding His prohibitions, Allah will make a way for him. Allah says: (and whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get our (from every difficulty) and He will provide him from sources, he could never imagine). (65:2).

2.. Always a Muslim’s aim should the hereafter life. He should prefer the coming life to this life.This life is very short and soon will end. But the real life is the hereafter, which is endless. So you know the usury is prohibited in Islam, all companies, bank etc. dealing with usury are forbidden in Islam. Allah almighty said: “ help you one another in AL-BIRE and AL-TAQWA (Virtue) but do not help one another in sin and transgression”. Your work with them is real cooperation. Prophet cursed the one who consumes riba (Interest), the one who gives it, the one who writes it down and the one who witnesses it. He said: “all of them are equal in sin”.

3.Employment in any capacity is forbidden in any bank which accepts usury. In fact, this is a real cooperation in sin and transgression. Allah has said in this regard: ( Help you one another in virtue, righteous and piety but do no help one another in sin and transgression). [5:2].

Imam Muslim narrated from Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) he said that the Prophet Muhammad (Blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes Riba (usury/ interest) the one who gives it to others, the one who writes it down and the one who witnesses it. He said: All of them are equal in sin". [sahih Muslim].

This threat is for the one who works in a usury - taking bank. Let alone if that bank is freemasonic one. You should fear Allah, avoid this work and seek another legal job. Indeed Allah will make it easy for you. Insha Allah.

Allah Says (Inte rpretation of meaning): (and whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him). [65:4].

And Allah Says (Interpretation of meaning): (And whosoever fears Allâh and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allâh, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allâh will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allâh has set a measure for all things).[65:2-3].

Faahie   

jazakallah sisster fatima. Thanks alot for you meticulous explanation of the issue. Actually even my istincts did warned me and i could see that working in such places was unlawfull, but as you may also undertand to be precise on our dinn is always the best option.

keep up siss you really are credible nomad.

wassalaam

------------------

Khayr   

Salaamz,

I thought I'd brinkg this topic back up again

b/c this effects some of in the work world.

The Ulama vary on their opinions (based on Quran, sunnah, shariah, tariqa etc.)

This is a very interesting question.

Rahima   

I realise this is an old post, but just for clarification purposes here are two fatwas- one in particular from Shaykh ibn Baz Rahimuallah:

Question :

Aslamoaliakum.

I have been offered a job at a Bank, and I am not sure whether I should work there or not, because the bank makes money from interest (Riba). Please tell me whether working there is allowed (Jaaiz), or not.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

You will find the answer in the hadeeth of Jaabir, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "The Messenger of Allaah cursed the one who consumes riba (interest or usury), the one who gives it, the one who writes it down and the one who witnesses it. He said: 'All of them are equal in sin.'" (Reported by Muslim, may Allaah have mercy on him, in his Saheeh, no. 1598)

Commenting on this hadeeth, al-Nawawi, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: This is clearly a prohibition of the writing down or witnessing of a contract between the two parties involved in a riba-based deal. It also includes a prohibition of helping others to commit wrong acts. And Allaah knows best.

It is inevitable that the employee in a riba-based bank will play a part in riba dealings one way or another, even if he is just a security guard. Maybe Allaah will help you, my brother, if you are patient, to find halaal employment. (Interpretation of the meaning) "… And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty)." [al-Talaaq 65:2]

Shaykh al-Barraak (www.islam-qa.com)

Question: The son of my maternal uncle works for the Bank al-Jazeerah as an employee. So is it permissible for him to work there or not? Please provide us with a fatwa, and may Allaah reward you with good, since we have heard from (some) brothers that it is not permissible to work in a bank.

Response: It is not permissible to work in banks which deal with ribaa, because working therein is considered assisting in sin and transgression. Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) says:

{Help you one another in al-Birr and at-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression, and fear Allaah - verily, Allaah is severe in punishment}, [soorah al-Maa.idah, Aayah 2].

And that which is known is that ribaa is classified as amongst the major sins, so it is not permissible to assist those who work with it.

And it is authenticated from the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) that he cursed those who ate/benefitted (aakil) from ribaa as well as the one responsible (for the transactions), the one who writes (the transactions) and the witnesses (to the transactions), and he said:

((...they are the same/equal...)), transmitted by Imaam Muslim.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz

Silsilah Kitaab ad-Da'wah (1), al-Fataawa - Volume 1, Page 142

Khayr   

Salaamz,

then Taking from Ibn Baaz's fatwa,

the same logic would apply

in the case of Having Bank Accounts.

In the West, they are pretty hard not to have.

e.g Landlord wants Income proof, Work wants bank info. to give your direct deposit (Company is too large to give personal checks) etc.

Also, if this the logic being used, then you can't live in building or rent a home at all b/c everything in Western Society is erect on RIBA.

How can muslims avoid this?

This came to me the other day when after reading Rahima's post.