Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

Do you agree wit h this proposed fedral map?

Liqaye   

Fedral somali as envisioned by hiiran.com

somalia_map.jpg

I thought that any fedral system was going to be based upon the present 18 provinces, also how comes some provinces have been demarcated and wont this demarcation process cause even more problems?

Nasir   

Odaygii cabdilahi yusuf oo sakhraansan ayaa mapkan soo saaray cid dhag u dhigaysana majirto bro ;)Its funny how we give lot of attention to somali ignorants like the warlord abdilahi yussuf

BN   

Some ppl wanna blame all their problems on C/Yusuf and/or muslim 'terrorists'. Good luck :D

First, I wouldnt put too much into this map as it is not even correct. For example Ceel Afweyn is located west of Ceerigaabo, not east. Not to mention the regional borders demarcations.

The federal system based on the 18 provinces has some pros:

-forcing people in regions like mudug/sanag to work together and solve their problems.

-less regionalism.

-bring some anti-federalist on side(such as MMA, HornAfique ;) )

-Bring onboard C/Qasim, Muse Suudi, and complete the peace process(that might be stretching it).

And cons:

-more beauracracy/politicains

-more money

-less freedom for people to decide to merge regions

-weaker states(infrustructure, economy, institutions etc)

if every peace conference fails because of disagreement of who gets what and who supports to which foriegn government then there is no hope for our people. federal state may have some merits but most somalis don't buy it because they can't agree to share existing regions and cities. and i don't think they going to agree to a federal system they never had any experience of it before. there are some assumptions behind this federal system interprise and this map in particular. its assumed that different tribes would accept to live places that they can be a minority. and i think somalis believe that if they live a place which they are in minority then they can't live properly, safely and prosperesly. to me any arrangement federal, confederal, saperation, unitry etc. is good as long somali people can live safe and in agreement with each other.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Bari_Nomad:

-bring some anti-federalist on side(such as MMA, HornAfique
;)
)

Yes, Bari I really don't agree to a Fedral Somalia (it will further the qabiil proplem in my opinion), but I support any outcome that comes out.

They say A man cannot choose between a house or an apartment if he is homeless. smile.gif

Besides isn't "Bunt" supposed to be "Punt". :D

i would say that this map would be the closest that we have come to right, however i think that the regions of adal and bunt would again argue the borders drawn on this map and the same probably would do the same. but at least it's going in the right direction

Do I agree with this map, not really I agree with a federal formula but apart from Puntland's borders its up to the rest of Somali's to creat their own respective states.

Federalism is important and should not be scrapped in order to bring unboard important peoples, notably Horn and MMA. :D

Salaan...

As my friend Baariyoow rightly noted, I never intend to favour federalism--whatsoever.

However, let's supposedly say this hypothetical qaarad becomes reality, and who would and wouldn't support.

The probable supporters:

• Reer Buntilaand {Why: The double "S and S" regions are on board; the state's border goes to all the way to Gaalkacyo town itself, ...}
  • Reer Maay-speaking {Why: This is what they were seeking since the Talyaanis left from the South}
  • Most of those who associate themselves with the now defunct USC party {Why: They will have the largest state, at least from the appearance of the map}
  • Reer Sool, Sanaag iyo nawaaxigeeda {Why: This is what they wanted since the civil war; in a nutshell: make this happen or forget the whole thing}
The possible rejecters:

• Reer Soomaalileen {Why: No full Sanaag, no Sool--No nothing}
  • Dooxadda Jubba {Why: Without much Shabeelada Hoose, Jubbooyinka, etc, heck noo}
  • Reer Gedo {Why: Baardheere, Luuq and Doolow are not part of Jubba--read Gedo--state}
  • SPM/Gabyoow, SPM/Cumar Jees {Why: Bu'aale, Jilib, etc aren't part of Jubba state}
  • Some factions who rule Hiiraan region {Why: Beledweyne is NOT the capital on supposedly Hamar state}
And then comes unexpectedly what we call the "minority" groups, some who rightly own a lot of Shabeeloyinka estates, towns and cities. Marka, Baraawe, Kismaayo are all originally settled by THEM and had forcefully been expelled. They need their "states" too.

It will always be hard to satisfy all of those groups, so at least we should not entertain with this "federal" idea since it creates more problems than it solves. Keep the 18 provinces as it was.

Samafal   

Federalism can be seen another problem of furthering tribalism. But question we need to ask ourselves is where are we on tribalism now? No doubt we are on the peak of it that any living creatures can get. Almost everything we do wherever we are, we do it on the basis of tribe.

Siyad aimed to eradicate tribalism in his early years in office by the sword and then ended up promoting same ideology he was calling against.

I for one came to the believe recently that federalism could be Somalia’s saviour. We are years away if not centuries from Somalia without tribe and the only way people can live side by side again is to live apart in the short run. There so much hatred and distrust that can not be healed in matter of years. United Arab emirate was once tribal kingdoms that fight aginst each other and look today, tribe is no existence, we can do the same.