Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Scramble to find peacekeepers to protect puppet regime

Castro   

Analysis: Somalia May Fall Back to Chaos

By CHRIS TOMLINSON

Associated Press Writer

January 8, 2007, 2:07 PM EST

NAIROBI, Kenya -- Militiamen haunt Somalia's streets again, warlords have moved back into their mansions and the internationally backed government doesn't have the police or troops to maintain the peace.

The call has gone out for an African cavalry to ride into town and save the day. But will it arrive in time? Diplomats from around the world are scrambling.

After Somali government forces backed by Ethiopian troops drove a rival Islamic movement out of the Somali capital and most of its other strongholds in the south, Jendayi Frazer, America's top diplomat for Africa, set out for the region to see what could be done to shore up the government.

When she boarded a U.S. Air Force plane that would take her to four countries in three days, she knew two simple truths about Somalia.

First, the people badly need help. Almost one in four Somalis require outside assistance to survive and the Islamic militants who imposed security, while demanding piety, are gone. The warlords are ascendant and aid workers are afraid to go back in.

Second, the United States can do little by itself. A botched intervention in the early 1990s left 18 U.S. servicemen dead and the legacy of the "Black Hawk Down" battle still weighs heavily on both countries. American boots on the ground is not an option.

"An African peacekeeping force is a good start to bring about stability," said Frazer, the U.S. assistant secretary of state for Africa. She took that message to the presidents of Somalia, Uganda, Djibouti and Yemen, as well as Ethiopia's prime minister and the African Union's deputy chairman.

A meeting of U.S., European Union, African and Arab diplomats ended in Kenya on Friday with a call for a peacekeeping force envisioned at 8,000 soldiers. Uganda has promised about 1,500, but only time will tell if they meet Frazer's request to deploy before the end of January.

Kenya's foreign minister, Raphael Tuju, set off Monday to visit five Africa countries to see who else might be willing to contribute troops. He declined to name them, but the only nations possibly willing and able are South Africa, Nigeria, Ghana, Benin and perhaps Senegal.

"It won't be easy," Tuju said. "But I am optimistic that there is enough willpower among African heads of state that want to solve this problem after so many years."

Willpower, though, may not be enough. All of those countries already provide peacekeepers to operations around the world, and South Africa and Nigeria are especially spread thin at the moment. And no country will send peacekeepers into Somalia if there is fighting.

"If there is no improvement in security, it will make it difficult," said Francois Lonseny Fall, the top U.N. envoy to Somalia.

The key to improving security, Frazer said, is to hold political talks that bring together all segments of Somali society, including moderate religious leaders who backed the militant Council of Islamic Courts.

"I think it's important to talk to the Islamic courts, or whoever are the moderates within the group," Frazer said. "They did bring a certain degree of order to Mogadishu. They have experience."

On Sunday, Frazer met with the speaker of Somalia's parliament, Sheik Sharif Hassan Aden, who has close ties to the Islamic leadership in Somalia. He urged Somalis not to attack the Ethiopian troops and to welcome peacekeepers. He also called on Islamic leaders to come to the negotiating table.

"It has to be the Somali people themselves who are running this and we as the international community need to support that process by getting a stabilization force in that can give them the space to have the dialogue," Frazer said.

Frazer has put $40 million on the table for Somalia, including $14 million for the peacekeepers. The U.S. Navy has a task force patrolling the Somali coast to intercept terrorists.

The U.S. is also using its diplomatic power to build support for the Somali government and the peacekeeping mission.

Yemen has tried to broker numerous peace deals between dozens of factions in Somalia over the years. Over a seafood feast for Frazer on Saturday, Yemeni Foreign Minister Abubakr Al-Qirbi offered some advice.

"We have many Somalis in Yemen and a long experience with them and there is one thing we have learned," he said. "If they have a fight, you don't get between them."

AP

Castro   

^ lol. I dunno if I could be bribed by Yeey. If I get anywhere near him I might go crazy and choke the bast*rd.

Castro   

He's not all that important. When his senior citizen @ss dies soon, another will be propped up by the puppeteers. And so it will go on.

Castro   

^ I dunno if that's possible. Yeey has been better restrained than the other goons that work for him. There's no more traveling around now or sitting with Jendayi Frazer drinking bottled water. She's heading home and he'll have to wake up in Villa Somalia to the sound of distant (or nearby) gunfire every morning wondering if this is his last.

What a prize, eh?

The west will do its best to find peace-keepers but the peace to keep is essentially protecting the lives of the puppet regime and to protect them from the angry public. No one really gives a damn about the public. Sometime after their arrival, frictions will increase and one or more of them will be killed. They in turn will retaliate to send a message. The predictability of it is remarkable.

There. I just took a peek in my crystal ball.

Lol Castro,

America won’t easily give-up on Somalia and won’t rely on Abdullahi Yusuf and his crew to finish the job for them. A regime that is being sheltered from their own people won’t last long, there are sure to be some internal conflicts which will even divided the TFG further and may result to their collapse. However, I fear that the Ethiopian soldiers may wear UN-Uniforms and claim to be representing the UN instead of Ethiopia, because Uganda can’t afford to send Peace-keeping troops to Somalia and I am not aware of any other country that is prepared to send their troops to Somalia. Most of America’s allies are preoccupied in either Afghanistan or Iraq. There is hardly anyone left who has enough man power and is financial fit to help America installed their puppet regime in Somalia.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Castro:

"I think it's important to talk to the Islamic courts, or whoever are the moderates within the group," Frazer said. "They did bring a certain degree of order to Mogadishu. They have experience.

Where is Captain Xalane, the one who absurdly claimed "no government negotiates with terrorists"? There the US, represented by Frazer, trying to negotiate with "terrorists."

No negotiations with Terrorist as Captain Xalane said!

However anybody, that want's to help this nation of ours to re-emerge from the ashes and who has some kind of support-base although little but in a crucial and strategic place like Mogadishu must be brought in to relief some of the 'tensions' temporarily!

This Caddow guy and Il-Islaax and other groups are not terrorist! They're pragmatists that want some kind of nation according to their 'moderate' views of the religion, they can hardly be compared to the 'Salafi Jadiid, Al-Itixaat or Al-Qaeda'!

We will never talk to this groups nor negotiate with them! Those religious zealots are fanatics, who have little common sense! A muslim should not be part of those hard-line groupings nor do they join the laughable Al-Islaax, Al-Ikhwaan or the crazy (H)Xizb-u-Tah(x)rir! Meniacs I say!

My dear, You don't know what I'm talking about. You have alot of 'learning' to do because you're very naive and ignorant about the things on discussion here. Although I've noted happily, that you're quite intelligent girl (maashallaah), however inexperience and a lack of knowledge hinders your progress in this forum, so I would elaborate you doing some kind of research!

No one is against the implentation of Allaahs cazza wa jala's law (the shariicah) in Somalia or anywhere else in this world because you wouldn't be a muslim if you'd did! Besides that you can't call a muslim or a kaafir for that matter a 'munaafaq' because that in itself is not good, the reason being because you don't know the fate of that person you refering to nor have you had any look into his heart or belief!

Sister Hizb-u-Tahrir is well-known educate yourself about them so are Al-Islaax, westrn university educated folks and gradutes, that want to 'mix' eastern values with western ones! They're called 'moderates' because they don't believe in 'violence' some of them are even against 'jihaad' in itself! Others have denied the existence of 'Cadaabul-Qabri', the torture in the grave, which in its exists you must believe if you're a true muslim! You can be tortured in the grave by squeezing so that your ribs turn into themselves or by narrowing the graves inside not to speak about the many snakes and other small creatures plus the heat or small window of hell-fire that emerges for the person Allaah has obtained to go to hell-fire!

Both Hizb-u-Tahrir and Al-Islaax have denied the existence of such torture for the vile! Evidence are many so educate yourself girl!

The other group are militants, hardliners and radicals, who have passed the line moderation in the deen for mostly Al-Qaeda mostly former singers, drug-dealers, red-light district bouncers, alcoholics, former fanaaniin such as actors (riwaayad) and soccer players, who have been radicalised when suddenly they returned to Islaam after a life of abusing the religion and having it only in name! So they start hating all thing modern, kaafirs and want to eradicate or kill them because to satisfy their conscious or bad behaviour, whch they committed previously! Mostly they're uneducated, self-taught religious zealots appointing themselves to higher postions, which frankly speaking off they do not deserve to hold or aspire!

Furthermore they're divided up themselves in hundreds of splitter groups, who work to assasinate or kill other potential leaders in order to hold their positions of commander! They're a joke, some of them are CIA agents on top of that! So educate yourself mystic, I can't do that everytime for you alittle more from you that makes sense would be actually good! Try it.

I'm neither Islaax (moderates) nor a hardliner but in between simply a muslim and I will never join a 'group'! What do you ascribe to?

Sheikh

Let’s make it quick, what was wrong with how the ICU were interpreting Islam? And just how are they terrorist? You just can’t call them terrorist because the West does. So far they have no prove that links Al Qaida with the ICU. We need prove. For most of you that word is not yet part of your vocabulary. Where are the WMD in Iraq? America along with the UN were given the chance to search for WMD in Iraq, they haven’t found them because they don’t exist. The ICU has welcomed America and the world to come to Somalia and search every corner possible, for there won’t be any Al Qaida running around. America had refused, because they known splendidly well that they won’t find them in Somalia. There intentions is to make terrorism an excuse to bomb and invade any nation they so desire.

I haven’t defended any of those groups you ramble on about and I never defended Al Qaida, for I know quite well that suicide is a sin. I am talking about the ICU and you calling them terrorists. Don’t fool yourself Al Qaida is just a hoax, if America really wanted to capture Osama they would have went with full military force into Afghanistan, but today we know that there are more US troops in Iraq than Afghanistan where they say Osama is hiding.

The only thing you know about what knowledge I hold and on what subjects is something I haven't shed light on yet, that partially has to do with you not being much of a challenge and besides stop with the falsified accusations. :D