Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

A Country in Transition: The Lure of Clan-Based Regional States

NASSIR   

A Country in Transition: The Lure of Clan-Based Regional States

By Mohamed Shamun Omar  August 31, 2010

The principal argument advanced here is that the hasty formation of clan-based regional states in Somalia without a national dialogue has resulted in the creation of a political situation that is not appropriate for cooperative outcome, and an environment that lacks trust and tolerance. The current state is a recipe for precarious and dangerous forces of clan supremacy and non-mosaic society that are inconsistent with the principles of Islamic teaching, modern statehood, democracy and human rights.

Ps. The author has a number of appointments including Resident Harvard Administrative Fellow; staff Environmental Management Engineer at Harvard University; researcher at University of Massachusetts Lowell

NGONGE   

Thankful, if I did give my reasoning (and after our recent discussions) I am afraid that it would be wasted on you, saaxib. You will ONLY go looking for the SL angle in my reply. ;)

At any rate, Nassir's quote from the piece (above) is enough to show you it is total nonesense. You know and I know that the so called "clan-based regional states" were not hastily formed (in fact, in the case of PL it took eight years or so). You also know that a "national dialogue" in the case is just nonsensical (did the people of PL have to conduct a dialogue with the people of Merca before creating Puntland, for example? :D ).

The author has beef with both PL & SL but, from his words and the feel of it all (and despite the agreement of Nassir) I don't think he's a Galgala boy. It's more like that NSPPUUPP(or whatever it was) nonesense.

Haye, ma wadaa?

I agree with Ngoonge it's stuff and nonsense. Also these mini states, Galmudug, Ximan and Hiiraan so on won't survive as they are too small. The central and southern clans need to comrpose with each other to creat viable states other wise they will for generations be overshadowed by the Northern states of Pl & Sl.