Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Banaadiri peacekeeping army?

Johnny B   

Q How do you view the recent meeting in Aden, among Yemen, Somalia, and Ethiopia, as contribution to the peace in Somalia and the Horn of Africa, in general?

R: I view the commitment of these two countries very positively. In addition, Yemen is the only country which has the right militarily to intervene in Banaadir, as for example, the English did in the Falkland Islands and the Turks in Cyprus. Banaadir has been created by people from Yemen. There are hundreds of thousands Banaadiri of Yemenite origin, who have fled to that country. Yemen has the duty and the right to bring these people back home and to protect them, until they are capable to look for themselves. In fact, I think Yemen should start mobilizing, preparing, and training a Banaadiri peacekeeping army. Banaadiris are peaceful people. But their peace messages will be taken seriously only when they have their own army.

Somalia is a tribal name?

Another hidden fact?

You'are wrong Johnny. They are of Persian, according to the book "The Invention of Somalia" not Yemenite. For instance, the name Shaanshi is of Persian origin as well as Shangaani, the biggest district of the light-skinned folks.

Malika   

^You didnt understand Johnnys question,he asked is SOMALIA a tribal name? Has the naming of the nation after the forefather Samaale,excluded other inhabitants of the horn e.g The Benadiir people, The Bantus ,The ****** etc.

Interesting articles,what it has highlighted is another frustrated inhabitants of Somalia, how we all vow not to forgive nor forget..Allah maxaa naa kalaa haya!

[ July 07, 2008, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

RedSea   

^Che is right.

****** is Jacaylbaro's clan. lool

[ July 07, 2008, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

****** is cultural groupings that hail from all Somali clans. It is the culture, the language (May May) and the lifestyle that unites them. Still each of ***** clans does trace their ancestry to the Maxaa tiri(nomadic) clans.

[ July 07, 2008, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

money   

He is another "Somali" bigot! what is even worse is he sounds like a supremacist...who, as it seems to me, after reading this the favorable and promotional interview, (he) just embraced that awful "Us Vs Them" doctrine. His arguments hold no water whatsoever.

Somalis have many clans, some number more than others and during the civil war and now, major Somali clans in terms of number have more weapons and power than the minority clans. Abuses and injustices were done to whole a lot of people and minor clans are not the sole bearers of injuries and victims of the civil war. Everyone suffered in Somalia. Actually the so-called major clans suffered the most. This guy is the product of the civil war. Everyone has grievances and see their own suffering and not the totality of the situation in Somalia .

My other-mom ( father's second wife ) is nominally from his same family (**** *****) and thus half of my own brothers and sisters are half-****. They will outrightly repudiate this fellow. Banaadiris and Bantus are just as Somalis as those clans he mentioned..nothing less...nothing more!

He said ***** clans as being non-ethnically Somali? He is dead wrong on that. They are the Reer Weyn and scientists have proven that Somalis are of the

Omo and Tana rivers and not from Arabia. The original pro-genitors of the Somalis are called Reer-Wein, thus May and ***** are the original people. He said the names of some cities are of Persian and Arabian origin. Many Somali cities have names that are Oromo origins. There is no confusion of who we are and history cannot be re-written by some grieve-ridden bigot.

But I applaud him for doing the research on the culture and civilization of Somali-Banaadiri community. I also applaud him for creating this controversy. I think it will create a conversation and maybe a strong cohesion and understanding of our commonalities.

[ July 07, 2008, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Waaw, folks. Easy on the qabiil names thrown out from left and centre. I know it is innocuous and educational, but still...

Baddacas, yaa ku baray that clan's name? I mean it is a long way from Waqooyi Galbeed to Luuq, Gedo, where that particular clan's people live. Yea, you have a point about some current community members of that particular clan you mentioned were originally from Waqooyi, but not the clan as a whole.

Fabregas   

I read this guys articles before and he sounds like he has a grudge against what he calls " ethnic Somalis", even claiming that they have no history and many other slurs. Furthermore, he spices up the history of the Benadiri group to such an extent you would have thought that they were the Greek or Romans of the Horn Africa.

Koore Tuunshe, the persian influence is begining to be seen as rather many minimal by recent scholars. The coastal-Islamic Culture was more a mixture of Arab-African than any Persian, the latter influence more stronger. Most of the folks mentioned eithe came as refugees who fled the Arab-Civil wars or has learned Islamic men. The Persian myth is just a greta fantasy, one that was propelled by white-colonial scholars. Of course, some people would say anything to link themselves to culture and peoples otuside of Somalia, which maybe true in some cases, but when it gets exaggerated to such an extent, then we have some brobleemz!

You cannot downplay the Persian influence in the history of Banaadir [a Persian word itself]. Waxyaaba badan ka muuqato inay jireen, qaas ahaan ereyada abkooda kasoo jeedo Persian, kamid yihiin Banaadir, Muqdisho, reer la dhaho ****** oo Banaadiriga kamid ah, ****** and other "Banaadiri" people ee Reer Xamarka.

MMA, baliis, no clan names allowed in this forum. You've been warned. :D

[ July 08, 2008, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]