Sign in to follow this  
Diamante

Eating Disorders

Diamante   

Salaam Nomads,

I'd like to discuss the phenomena that surrounds eating disorders . Alright, that might be putting it strong since eating disorders have long lost their facination and were put back on the dusty shelves. Nevertheless it never ceased to amaze me how many people actually succumb daily to this fatal addiction.

I'm guessing that most of you are aware of the two biggest eating disorders namely Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa. Just in case, I will give a quick summary of the main clinical characteristics/symptoms:

Anorexia Nervosa (meaning literally nervous loss of appetite):-

Person sees himself or herself as overweight even when extremely thin

Compulsive behaviour around food

Amenorrhea in females (menstruation stops)

Impotence in males (yes! it does affect men!)

Person sees himself or herself as overweight even when extremely thin

Obsession with food and weight

Bulimia Nervosa:-

Consumption of large amounts of food (bingeing), followed by purging or exercising obsessively

Obsession with body weight and shape

Bingeing and purging from once or twice a week to several times a day

Low self -esteem and fear of failure is typical

Strong need for acceptance and reassurance

What makes these disorders fatale is the fact that the sufferer is too stubborn to see what it's doing to them. They have low self esteem and a sense of worthlessness.

People diagnosed with these disorders often go back to it because of the ritualistic way they used to do things. They don't know another way of life anymore. Thus, because the body is not putting on any weigt it starts to eat up itself burning vital organs and other bodily fluids in the process.

You might think to yourself why would anyone in his/her right mind refuse the wonderful nimcah of food? Could it be the media? Supermodels rocking a waife figure making skelleton silhouttes a "sexy" figure or the constant reminder of this NEED to go on diet, displayed to you nicely and in big letter on billboards everywhere. Or could it be more closer to home? It has been speculated, debated, and researched that anorexic or bulimic sufferers have endured abuse in their early childhood, thus the low self esteem manifesting into a eating disorder. Or maybe it could be just sheer loneliness?

What I find more interesting is the fact that these type of disorders are not all that frequent in our own Somali community. Is it because we're Africans and share a culture that promotes more well rounded figures and frowns upon skinnyness? If so, is this not a problem in its own as this will consequently mean that the person who is not gifted in certain department, meaning hasn't got a shapely bottom or round hips, will develop an eating disorder to achieve this figure just to satisfy the masses?

Or is it because we as muslims know how grateful we should be for the little piece of bread we have, knowing that tomorow that little piece could well be gone? Or is it that this culture also conveniently doesn't believe in this sort of "taboo" and would dismiss it all too easily?

Having said this, do we feel sorry for those who suffer from it? Or are they to blame? What about the victim's families, friends etc.?

Too many questions and not a lot of answers.

Having said all this, I would like to know what your thoughts are on this. Please bear in mind that this is a serious issue so try to stay on the topic and keep funny remarks to a minimum.

Salaamullaah

Som@li   

Somalis are naturally skinny people due to the habitat of our country which is dry, our genes adopted to our environment, but one moves from the country and lives in thse countries the environment is different,and there is not much activities, it is possible to see all kinda diseases ,obesity one of them.

What I find more interesting is the fact that these type of disorders are not all that frequent in our own Somali community. Is it because we're Africans and share a culture that promotes more well rounded figures and frowns upon skinnyness

Yes,that is true, but that implies only to back home where "well rounded figures",are associated with money and there arn't many of them.

Blessed   

Having said this, do we feel sorry for those who suffer from it? Or are they to blame? What about the victim's families, friends etc.?

I think it’s best to look at it for what it really is; a medical condition influenced by a man made psychological disorder.

I’ve heard of girls as young as 10 worrying about their weight and going on a diet. I see it as a societal issue as it’s society, the media that is responsible for promoting vain and unrealistic perception of beauty on young women. Somalis are particularly high on the vanity drug- am sorry it just needs to be said.

One might ask why bulimia and anorexia is low in our community – and I think it has a lot to do with Somali perception of beauty – I mean according to our elders if your skinny you don't stand a chance of bagging a husband, let alone be considered pretty…. But the trend is changing amongst younger Somalis and I predict this will be a major issue in our society in the next 10 years… just like the skin bleaching crap.

Coming back to your question who is to blame; I think mothers, older sisters have a direct impact on a young girls perception of beauty. They pass on notion of what makes one beautiful and how-to get there.

We in turn; put these ideas into play as we get older and so you get many sisters bleaching their skin or deliberately using the wrong shade of foundation just so that they don't fall into the ‘doqon iyo habeen baa madaw’ category.

My point is; we need to watch what we tell our younger sisters. Having grown ip reading black literature; I've gown accepting that I'll be curvier and that getting a tan made you look better - not a digsi gubtey as Somalis view it.

As a community we should revolutionize our thoughts on beauty. A strating point is to question what beauty is and who decides. Does Allah create ugly?

People also need to understand that we can only improve on what Allah has given us by taking care of it. It's better for our sanity to giveup on up on this silly notion that any man made regimen, cream and diet will make us look beautiful- in the cat walk context.

Furthermore; we should realise that even if we were to achieve our goals… it doesn’t change us as a person – I mean have you ever seen a beautiful sister, looking slick and all but she seems to have forgotten how to smile… and that just makes her look like an unapproachable person? Is it me or are men that spend half their time in the gym the dumbest- what a waste.

Beauty is more then whats on the surface – youngsters should be told that.

raula   

Diamante

...What I find more interesting is the fact that these type of disorders are not all that frequent in our own Somali community. Is it because we're Africans and share a culture that promotes more well rounded figures and frowns upon skinnyness? If so, is this not a problem in its own as this will consequently mean that the person who is not gifted in certain department, meaning hasn't got a shapely bottom or round hips, will develop an eating disorder to achieve this figure just to satisfy the masses?

:confused: :confused: :confused: Sista in the beginning you have raised the issue that such disorders not being apparent in our communities, then you continue to elaborate that indeed there is a problem "NOT BEING ANOREXIC" :confused: Maybe I got it all wrong-sorry-I probably been viewing this topic from one dimension. Interesting topic however. Thx.

Meenah-very well articulated overview. I concur.

juba   

wonderfully said ameenah! i couldn't agree more. this devastating disorder starts at home in the family. i think media is a big part of it aswell. culture is a factor to because everyone has a different perception of beauty and im glad ours appreciate the big boned ;)

Diamante   

Sista in the beginning you have raised the issue that such disorders not being apparent in our communities, then you continue to elaborate that indeed there is a problem "NOT BEING ANOREXIC" Maybe I got it all wrong-sorry-I probably been viewing this topic from one dimension

Raula, never mind viewing this from one dimension, at least you have A VIEW. Let me explain what I meant. True, eating disorders are not that frequent in our community. These disorders are developed when a person considers themselves to be fat. However, African cultures celebrate this figure instead. The difference here is only the one culture viewing being big as beautiful and the other despising it. Thus, the pressure is nevertheless present in both cultures meaning that one person could develop eating disorders to slim down, while the other one could develop it to get a more voloptous figure.

Hope this makes my point clearer. Nevertheless thanks for your response ;)

Ameenah, thanks for your insightful response. You hit on some home truths, and if we need to look at eating disorders it's best to start at home.

Though, 4 people responded to this topic so far? Does this mean the rest of the nomads have not got an opinion on this? :confused:

Selaams

Asalaam aleykum

A good topic you brought up sister.

Your right to say that so far the somali and african community havent been badly affected.But in the next 5-10 yrs we maybe forseeing an increase in this number thanks to the medias idea of thinner beautiful women. Even in mother Africa now the younger generation thanks to the Miss world -and other Miss something pagents want to look that way.And the cultural values are changing very quickly.

Advice lets stick to our cultural and religious values.

Ive got nothing to add really Ameenah has emphasised the importance lies on the family female figures which I second.

raula   

Diamante-thx now I get it.

Meenah

Coming back to your question who is to blame; I think mothers, older sisters have a direct impact on a young girls perception of beauty. They pass on notion of what makes one beautiful and how-to get there.

We in turn; put these ideas into play as we get older and so you get many sisters bleaching their skin or deliberately using the wrong shade of foundation just so that they don't fall into the ‘doqon iyo habeen baa madaw’ category.

good pointers there but from my perception BLAMING only mothers and older siblings(especially sisters) is utterly wrong. In my opinion, if a young gal insists on bleaching her skin or toning down to look more like the sorrounding races-its not only due to low self esteem but also due to "INTERNALIZED RACISM." Hence, many somali or dark shade gals are bleaching their skins and dieting because the norm is that the "whiter and skinner one is the sexier she is"..or will be appealing and therefore considered normal in such society.

On another note, low self esteem, not knowledgeable about health consequences of dieting and skin bleaching (or cosmetics in general), conflicting cultural and acculturation (or adopted land) values and norms, are leading to volatile health detriments among somalis living in the west. For instance, since many of us have no concept of "healthy eating and exercise" we then rely on most genetics(where many somali sisters are naturally slender) to BAIL us out-which is not the case in the west; since the lurking variables such as fresh foods, climatical conditions, genetics, no in-between meals, and hard work/labor that contributed to low cardiovascular and diet related disorders back in somalia or Africa. Whereas in the west its the opposite-if you dont exercise and eat healthy-an individual escalates his/her chances of developing a diet-related disease.

Therefore, not only mothers, older siblings that contribute to stereotype, but other factors such as internalized racism, cultural misconceptions, psychological aspects(low self esteem), and lifestyle choices.

RAULA.

Diamante

I would like to add that apart from Bulimia and Anorexia Nervosa we have another problem at hand affecting alot of our people and that is Obesity- in the sense of overeating.

The disorders you mentioned earlier are both due to a poor self image weights heavily on the adolescent ages and need alot of family support, healthy diet regime and therapy.

Obesity some may say it isnt apsychiatric problem yet as it is caused by alot of organic problem name it from endocrine problems,metabolic problems.... to genetics.Where we know in genetics that some peoples satiety center regulation is malfunctioning. Science has alot to tell us more about the Leptins and its effect on eating.What I beleive is there is a psychiatric component to it as there are people with a low self esteem ,depressed or anxious or just angry who end up taking an extra bite..another bite then the other and find comfort in eating that nourishing food. Different from binge eating where satisfaction is not desired.

This is a problem we are facing in our community but the difference is it affects more the older people(can start around 40s) than the youth. As the elders now live more a sedentary life, the cultural clash and having plenty in the house. Also the old wisdom that no left overs should be remain which is haram to throw away. Thus with obesity there is an increase in cardioproblems, diabetes and osteoporosis.

It may affect the youth but it should be blamed on the new accustomed diet and lifestyle and the households table /food manners. Do (parents)they provide a healthy diet or is it just grab something from the fridge and eat lifestyle the children are taught.

i disagree that somalis like or celebrate full figured women. in fact from what ive seen its the opposite. to a certain degree it has to do with economics. i mean, countries with relatively lower national incomes generally praise full figuredness, especially in women. its a sign of wealth. however here in the west, being big or overweight is a sign of sloppiness and even a sign of being of a lower economic/social status. here in the west, in a first world country, eating healthy (organic, vegetarian, low cal) is somewhat more challenging economically than eating poorly (high fat, fast foods, chips, snacks etc), not only that but women (and men) can now use their money to alter their appearance to reach the standard that theyve created. (straighter nose, smaller hips, bigger chest.) anyhow, somalis to a certain extent are like other africans and see eating well (as in alot) and having a plump appearance as attractive (you know, how we looooove to fatten our babies), bt its certainly not something encouraged, at least not here in the west. i have never heard of parents wanting their daughters to fatten up, bt i have heard of parents wanting their daughters to lose weight, telling their daughters they are fat (at relatively early ages, when a young womans body is just transitioning from girl to woman). i cant speak for other nations or cultures, bt what i have noticed about somalis is that they will tease you no matter what. anything that stands out about you, whether it be yr size or yr nose, they will point it out and tease you mercilessly about it, and thats not to say that it is done in a mean spirit. quite the opposite. however when living or in some cases growing up in a society that puts tremendous pressure and importance on personal appearance combined with our own subtle way of approaching it, i think its to be expected that we may have some deeply complexed kids growing up in the next coming generations. of course you could just throw the tv out and ban the magazines in yr house.