Sign in to follow this  
A.J.

Somaliland, Saudi Businessman Sign Livestock Export Deal

A.J.   

I think it is good news that this part of somali trade in general has revived in recent times in the whole region.

Hargeysa, Somaliland, April 14, 2007 (SL Times) – The Somaliland livestock minister has announced on Monday that an agreement on livestock exports has been reached between Somaliland and a Saudi Arabian businessman. The businessman will export 2,000,000 heads of cattle, camels or goats per year.

The Somaliland livestock minister said at a meeting that the agreement between the government and the businessman, who goes by the name Sulayman Sa'id al-Jabiri, has two provisions:

1. The businessman should buy 2,000,000 heads of livestock - camels, cattle or goats from Somaliland every year and export them to Saudi Arabia.

2. Building of a quarantine camp for livestock meant to undergo health checks in Berbera that meet international standards. The camp will have the capacity of keeping 5,000,000 heads of cattle, camels or goats and it will be funded by the businessman. The construction of this camp will begin at the end of this week.

The Somaliland livestock minister also mentioned that the sale of livestock to Yemen will remain as it is.

The minister noted that this agreement would be useful for exporting Somaliland livestock to Saudi Arabia, where a ban used to exist on livestock from Somaliland.

Source: Somaliland Times

I heard that Somalia never exported she-camels (hasha) to arabia they only exported awrta (he-camels)!, but now what I can read here is that SL would ship anything whatsoever asked by the rich arab individuals to be sent over... am I right?

very strange!

Tahliil   

We have seen this thread b4 and exhausted this topic....I have my own reservations about the whole deals...but hey who am i to complain about such unfair trades and depletion of resources (in this case the export of she-goat/camel)??? I know cases documented in the East and i don't think the West is any better

Originally posted by Tahliil:

...but hey who am i to complain about such unfair trades and depletion of resources...

Caku ciil badanaa... Quote of the day dheh....

A.J.   

Its about a week old so it is not that old news and like brother Bada Cas said it is good news for people on the ground that this trade has been revived.