Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland President: Djibouti Conference Is Not Our Business

Hargeysa (HOL) - In a press conference at the Presidential Palace of Somaliland, the president of Somaliland Mr. Dahir Riyale Kahin talked about a number of issues including the recent agreement among the three national parties of Somaliland and the current peace talks in Djibouti between representatives of Somalia's Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and the Eritrea-based Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia.

Mr. Kahin told the press that the three national parties reached an agreement with regards to early presidential election and the registration of the people of Somaliland in an effort to advance the recognition of Somaliland citizens and create a framework to address other challenges including resolutions from the UN Security Council.

In response to a question about the current peace talks in Djibouti, he stated that the peace talks concern Somalia and not Somaliland. To another question about petroleum exploration in the East of Somaliland, he replied that these companies and their equipment have not crossed over to the Somaliland territory.

Responding to another question regarding immigrants going through Somaliland on their way to oil rich Gulf States as well as foreigners in Somaliland, Mr. Kahin said that his government is unable to address that issue at present time. He also stated that he is the lawful president of Somaliland in spite of the extension of his term.

With regards to recent controversy about the creation of new regions, these are the only ones his government is ready to create at the present time.

N.O.R.F   

The guy says nothing and does nothing for the people he is supposedly responsible for and comes out with statements like this to further incline that SL is independent! Has he taken a break from ripping the people off?

SL should be concerned/aware/be receptive to the peace process. The ‘we don’t care cos we are not part of them’ lingo benefits no one.

Bloody puppet! :mad:

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

Of course we're concerned and aware of the happenings. We're not just part of dadka meesha fadhiya.

That is not the point saxib.

Even if Somalia is considered as a neighbouring country, SL should be concerned. How many displaced people/refugees are in SL today? What conditions are they living under? What happens to them on the way there? Etc etc.

I don’t expect Riyaale to think like that anyway laakin one hopes the people don’t fall for this talk and disassociate themselves from the goings on in the south simply because they perceive as not being their country.

NGONGE   

^^ You're just being difficult because you dislike the man. I see nothing wrong with his reply. After all, I suspect those that put the question to him did not have any of the issues you present here in mind. He, like the president before him (and like Somaliland did in the past seventeen years) distanced himself from these negotiations to reaffirm the 'independence' of Somaliland. It was a perfectly acceptable (and diplomatic) reply.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ You're just being difficult because you dislike the man. I see nothing wrong with his reply. After all, I suspect those that put the question to him did not have any of the issues you present here in mind. He, like the president before him (and like Somaliland did in the past seventeen years) distanced himself from these negotiations to reaffirm the 'independence' of Somaliland. It was a perfectly acceptable (and diplomatic) reply.

Hmm,

he stated that the peace talks concern Somalia and not Somaliland

That is not displomacy saxib. Djibouti, Ethiopia and the UN are part of the on going or now finished meeting. These are neighbours of Somalia plus the world's umbrella of diplomacy by ina Kaahin some how seems to this it does not concern him because as far as he is concerned its a totally different country!

There are times when you distance yourself away from other nations (even your neighbours) and then there times when you speak in terms of hoping for a peaceful solution to the crisis and letting people know you actually care about what goes on next door as it will (and it currently is) effect you.

Not diplomatic at all.

NGONGE   

^^^ Typical Kulimye supporter. Heh. icon_razz.gif

Answer me this, why is he being asked about peace talks that his country is NOT part of?

If things should be played your way then I would say Somaliland should have taken part in those talks. But it did not take part and you know why.

And how many conferences/meetins held during the past 17 years that was particiapated by those countries plus the UN ,,,, and didn't simply work ??? ,,,,

Abtigiis   

Ninka sanka dheer is in denial. But leave him alone for now. Fadhi-carbeed kaa loogu iman doonaa. Kolkaasuu oran doonaa, isku majlis manihin.

Nationhood ka iyo International Declarationka ma maqaam buu u haystaa???

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^^ Typical Kulimye supporter. Heh.
icon_razz.gif

Answer me this, why is he being asked about peace talks that his country is NOT part of?

If things should be played your way then I would say Somaliland should have taken part in those talks. But it did not take part and you know why.

Its not about supporting Kulmiye but you might want to search Silaanyo's statements regarding the crisis over the past 18 months or so. THAT is diplomacy saxib.

Is Riyaale's sole purpose to to maintain the line of 'we are SL and we are not part of Somalia'?

I have no idea why he was asked the question but what I can harzard it was because a)his 'neighbours' are involved, b) the situation HAS effected SL to a degree (displacement/refugees ) and c) they just wanted to hear what nonesense he came out with.

ps this is the guy who, when asked by SLTV what he and his cronies were doing in Swededn, replied with 'ma garanayno, waa la inoo yeedhey uun' :rolleyes:

LANDER   

Originally posted by Northerner:

There are times when you distance yourself away from other nations (even your neighbours) and then there times when you speak in terms of hoping for a peaceful solution to the crisis and letting people know you actually care about what goes on next door as it will (and it currently is) effect you.

[/QB]

Well said Norf,

our lame-duck president is not exactly known for his diplomatic and oratory skills. To his governments credit though, in past talks with the Ethiopian envoy, they've expressed their disagreement with foreign troop presence in Somalia. That said, it seems Riiyaale's vocab is limited to a few choice phrases, one of them being 'We are not Somalia, we are Somaliland.' :D Sometimes you wonder if this man understand the seriousness of what is going on in the neighborhood. As you mentioned, no one country can escape the magnitude of the catastrophe in Somalia, least of all Somaliland.