Sign in to follow this  
Naden

Mind-splitting, eye-popping....

Cara.   

^In the end it's all just chemicals in the brain icon_razz.gif

Actually, I don't go to work when I have a migraine. One of my coworkers misses work about once a week due to migraines (and she's not a Xaliimo).

Exercising while having a migraine is ludicrous, but it might be a good prevention technique. So everyone cut each other some slack icon_razz.gif

Jamaal, men get migraines too, but it's a lot more common in women. Estrogen is a b*tch.

Naden   

Warrior of Light, thanks! NSAIDS were suggested but they've killed my stomach years ago. Imitrex worked like a charm and it is such a shame that it isn't working anymore. Probably need to scan the noggin' or something.

Theirry, thanks. I live in the dark when they start and it is probably the only thing that works beyond medication.

Jamaal, thank you.

Norfsky, exercise is probably good for everything, especially as a preventive measure. It doesn't make a dent in some migraines, though.

Originally posted by Norfsky:

quote:Originally posted by sheherazade:

quote:

Originally posted by Norfsky:

Go for a run then a shower then a good meal. Forget all that medication and expensive treatments.

And how does the above compare with what Google said? U were suggesting she does the above through a migraine, no? Just do it a la Nike, miyaa? Can you moonwalk in Nike trainers or are Addidas better for that?

What bugs me is blanket advice and Somalis are great at it. Everyone's an expert. Exercise, s*x, laughter, de-stressing, what don't those help?! Leprosy too I should imagine.

Animosity ma aha. Call it zero tolerance.

Castro, where have u gone? This place needs policing.
Blimey! Last I knew a migraine doesn't cripple you or does it only cripple xaliimooyinkeena?

You can walk to and from work, jump on and off trains and buses but you can't go for a run?

Not buying it!

Men rely on exercise to get better. Women rely on medication
icon_razz.gif
Inaadeer, dhixdii Burco is it still as deep as the whole you are digging your self? No bball shoes will get you out of it so give it up. smile.gif

Migraines are debilitating.Just to be specific, no walking, no talking, no Googling for irrelevant supporting evidence, no jimicsi,no s*x, no nothing aside from a desire to commit homocide when pain is poo-pooed by witch doctors and men of African origin which funnily enough tend to be one and the same.

I'm always weary of a chemical quick fix but my migraine episode back in end 93/94 (especially after school) went off by itself and since I did not read that much or more at that time, I still wonder what triggered it ; I discovered around end 2003 that I needed glasses but barely used them since then, so I doubt it was vision-related...

Cara.   

Naden, what about beta blockers? They are normally prescribed for high blood pressure, but have been shown to be efficacious for migraine relief. They are fairly innocuous if you don't have diabetes, low blood pressure, etc. Also non-addictive and can be taken to relief the migraine on onset as needed (rather than daily).

Kool_Kat   

Naa ma inaad jimicsatiin baa la'idinka kari la'yahay? icon_razz.gif

I am not so sure about going for a run, but there's nothing like going for a walk in the cold winter days/nights and letting that fresh crisp cold air hit your face...Ten or fifteen minute walk will do...By the time you get back home, your madax should be half frozen, and the migraine gone... :D

Allaha idiin fududeeyo, Alxamdulilaah my migraine days are long gone now...

Naden   

Cara, unfortunately they bottom out my blood pressure :( but I've heard some good things about them. My only consolation is that short, dark days of winter bring fewer attacks.

Paragon   

Naden, welcome.

Cara, thanks for the info. What about the headaches that end in nose-bleeds? And the constant high-pitched sound? Any idea what that could be?

N.O.R.F   

Cara, Naden, you're right exercise is more of a preventative solution. However, I still don't believe migraines paralyse one.

Sheh, YUR!

ps dhixda Burco is not very deep smile.gif

Thierry, semi skimmed milk? LoL.

Thierry.   

Norfsky

Thierry, semi skimmed milk? LoL.

You caught me out saxiib, it’s my decoy to avoid the purchase of that diluted Milk :D

SeeKer   

Wow interesting responses to say the least. I have had migraines since I was 13. There was a time they were so severe that the ER personnel used to know me by name and Morphine was my best friend. Alxamdullilah that is all gone.

Naden, WOL is right about jotting down triggers. I found out mine are chocolates, so I cut them out of my diet completely. I know other women who have weird ones like cucumbers.

Now for the drugs. Imitrex belong to triptans class and from experience and also speaking to other suffers it kind of loses effectiveness after a while. Now the new version of Imitrex that has the NSAID attached is nothing but a marketing plot. My suggestion and it might not work for you is to try to go into preventative therapy. Apart from journaling triggers and keep away from them, try Topamax. Start off with minimum 25mg daily at bedtime and see how that works out. Pamelor or nortriptyline works with some people but I got weary of the side effects.

With all drugs its works with or against your body chemistry so its all trial and error and thus its called medical practice.

As for the other suggestions, J.Bro's is fascinating cause I heard that from plenty of people. I think its got something to do with the neurotransmitters and perhaps leveling off of hormones. :D

PS:- Castro is right........being on the computer does nothing to aid you. Turn off and switch off.

Naden   

Alle Ubahaane, who wouldn't accept Duco? smile.gif

Seeker, thanks! Lots of sound medical advice around here. I will definitely give Topomax a try. Like you, I am weary of side effects and just pissed that Imitrex doesn't work anymore. My hope was to find some alternative therapies but I think that whatever they maybe, they will have to complement medication.

Faarax-Brawn, they're much better walaal, thanks for asking.