Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland: Electoral Commission Resigns

Four members of the Electoral Commission, including the chairman, resigned a day after two other members also resigned bringing the total that resigned to 6 out of the 7 members of the commission. Their refusal to resign, as demanded by the opposition parties and the Donor countries that assist Somaliland’s democratisation process, has been a stumbling block to free and fair election in Somaliland.

Mr. Jama Mohamed Omar, who chaired the commission since February, strongly opposed calls for his resignation by the opposition parties. The opposition parties believe Omar made several decisions that compromised the neutrality of the commission. His decision to support of the suspension of the voter list and the expulsion of Interpeace, the agency that assisted Somaliland on democratisation, was considered one of the most contentious actions taken by the commission since its formation.

In their demand for the resignation of the commission members, the opposition cited lack of consultation before the body made important decisions that seriously impacted the need for a timely restoration of democracy in Somaliland.

Pressure is mounting on the only remaining commission member, Mr. Ali Mohamed Abdalla (Biikalo) who is also the deputy chairman, to tender his resignation. Abdalla was appointed by KULMIYE opposition party and has been a member of the commission since May last year. He lost the confidence of the opposition parties after he supported Riyale’s decision to suspend the voter list and expel Interpeace.

Mr. Jama M. Omar’s maintained a steadfast refusal to resign hoping that some compromise will be reached between the political parties that will alllow him to stay in the commission, however yesterday’s resignation of two moderate commission members, Ismail Mussa Nur and Khadar Mohamed Guled, made his position untenable.

The appointment of the 7 member commission is considered to be a major factor in the failure by the commission to achieve its goals. Three of the commission members are appointed by the president. Two of the remaining 4 are appointed the by Upper House of Parliament (Guurti) while the two opposition parties each appoint one member. Critics blame lack of independence and transparency in the process of appointing commission members, 5 of which are appointed by the president and the Guurti. The opposition had criticised the president and the Guurti for selecting those five members only on the basis of their loyalty to the ruling UDUB party.

Abtigiis   

Why this is not a good news is because any successors will face the difficulties they have been facing. In Somaliland, the election commission is toothless, with Political parties often meddling into their affairs.

The problem is with the very set up. How can you have representatives from Political parties as the commission and expect no conflict of interst to arise?

Abtigiis   

Dear Oodweyne,

I am merely referring to the verdict of the outgoing UDUB member of the Election Board. He said 'ma aanaan aheyn guddi gar qaadi karta, maadaama talada xisbiyaddu nala lahaayeeen".

In a mature society, where individuals understand the limits of their alliegiences and processes are respected, the kind of Election Committee you have is not a big issue. In Somaliland, where all sides are in the commission to make sure they use it as a ladder to power, I don't think there can be a progress.

For the Election Board in Somaliland which is composed of rival parties to work, party representatives need to have a clear communication from their bosses that they need to be put the nation before party intersts. Since I am not sure they will get such communiques from Silaanyo or Riyaale or the mad Waraabe, I don't think they could ever agree.

What can make a smooth transition is for individuals of note who are not members of any party to take the helm and make the decisions. These will also be accused of being pro this or that, but they stand a better chance of withering such a storm.

You said,

"But, on the contrary, it's to design a political edifice (i.e., institution) that it's terms-of-reference, it's regulation, it's remit, and it's code of conduct, is so transparent and legally binding, from the get go. So that no amount of arm-twisting by any self-absolved politicians can have any sway over them."

I agree with the principle with the nuance that establishing such an edifice must take account of the prevailing level of awareness among the masses, and the overall quality of the politicians in Somaliland. Even Abdi Waraabe, the idiolised spiritual father of the secession dream, is arm-twisted by Riyaale on more than one occasion.

A more subdued Oodweyne this one is. Gone are the days when the son of the warrior clan, as he used to call it, flooded this site with a certain idealistic, almost divine, political ascendancy for Somaliland.

Times make more conversion than reason.

Ps welcome Oodweyne

I dont see any bakh-bakh any more. And you have picked up the caravan lingo too :D

Things got heated up quite a bit there yaa Oodka. Alaah baa faraj keenay though I don’t know how long baa arrinka la celcelin. Unlike poor B Goth, I don’t believe foreign friends have snatched Somaliland project from the jaws of death. Xeerbeegtii waxay xukuntay in shacabku muddo aan la cayyimin nabadda u afduubnaado...and that is not bad at all :D

All in all, both us have something to celebrate at the moment.

Qudhac   

Indeed the NEC members have shown political maturity and hand over responsibility as agreed by three parties, indeed if you cannot live up to the responsibilities place upon you by the people then the next best thing you can do is let someone else have go.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

Somalilandglobe

Next is the nomination of the new NEC ........

This is vicious cycle that doesnt show sign of stopping.The best idea is to not set election date before first getting the NEC issue resolved. Once that is done, then the financial aspect of it has to be taken care of, later the technical difficulties of the voter registration machines. Once all these are sorted out, then it's possible to set a date for the elections that will be met as promised.

Fist things first sxb ,,,, :

1- Nomination of new NEC

2- External technical committee to see how long will it take to sort out the server issue

3- Setting a date for the elections

4- Starting the campaign

5- Elections

Soo ducee uun ,,,, :D

Poker   

JB,

I have no respect or confidence in the NEC selection process. What is the point of having a commitee that consist of individuals that are nominated by their own political parties? How do you expect them to be partial and unbias? I just don't get it man.