Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

Land of Punt: Grassroots factor to security and economic development approach

Taleexi   

I am tempting to explain briefly about the article dubbed Land of Punt: after I read this article I noticed that Mr. Dholey is an experienced figure about the region and he has been observing quite sometime the deteriorating situation of the autonomous state of Puntland, be it in terms of corruption or malfunctioning economies. The author stresses that, regardless of how hard people try them(clan systems) or how long they survive, clan based systems will eventually crumble on due course. However, clan based systems can be a good catalyst in the transient period of the formation of national government I think if handled it carefully.

Puntland has to be competitive I mean, it has to reconsider and re-examine its failures of not delivering its promises, not improving the life standards of its citizens, lacking of being transparent. The author alludes sincerely that Puntland has the resource and the qualified people who are capable of squaring all outstanding issues of the State if the opportunity is given to them.

Enjoy reading the below article

Land of Punt: Grassroots factor to security and economic development approach

Mohammed Elmi (Dholey)

March 16, 2006

Designated as the land of primal trading ties with the ancient civilization of Egypt, Land of Punt still keeps its distinctive characterization of trade in the Red Sea. Here in Sanaag and Bari regions of Somalia the Pharaohs used to come and purchase a variety of commodities such as frankincense and myrrh that were sold to them by the local dynasties. Until today, frankincense and myrrh yield more returns for the economic sector of Puntland state. Exports of livestock earnings, remittances, humanitarian aid, and small subsistence farming around Galgala district have also proved to be the principal sources of income. With its vibrant emporium, Bossaso, Puntand, in its de facto state power, has been able to raise taxes (Real Estate, and Private Businesses) and charge levies on imported goods thus swelling its reserve for the treasury. This has afforded it to create public services (limited only to few districts) and maintain instruments for security provision, thereby improving the relationship between the regional state and the people.

Read the full version of the article at Land of Punt

NASSIR   

However, clan based systems can be a good catalyst in the transient period of the formation of national government I think if handled it carefully.

Puntland has to be competitive I mean, it
has to
reconsider and re-examine its failures of not delivering its promises, not improving the life standards of its citizens, lacking of being transparent. The author alludes sincerely that Puntland has the resource and the qualified people who are capable of squaring all outstanding issues of the State if the opportunity is given to them.

[/QB]

Thanks Mansa Musa, It is a great article. Puntland will surely send the signal that a people of common descent cannot even agree to their agreed terms. How will other Somalis in other regions react to what is going on there? The developments up there might breed a political distrust within us. We should learn from the past.