Sign in to follow this  
Warmoog

Gendered Politics

Warmoog   

I've read posts referring to the Politics section as being the "men's forum" and found myself repressing the urge to roll my eyes. On more than one occasion, I've also read posts in which nomads discussing politics referred to the progress in certain Somali regions as being the result of action... saying something along the lines of 'we left the talking to women'. I kept my peace the first time but, upon seeing the same remarks being evoked repeatedly, I felt the need to express my thoughts. The latter remark especially seems to imply one of two things (or both): firstly, it implies women are good for nothing other than talk; and, secondly, it implies the progress made in certain Somali regions is a product of men's actions alone. In my opinion, both arguments are based on unfounded logic and sheer fallacy.

Traditionally and even today women don't have a large active role in political decision-making. The reasons why are open for debate, but let's not belittle women's contribution to all other aspects of Somali society/economy. More often than not, particularly since the collapse of the old regime, women have played a pivotal role in keeping Somali economies from vanishing into oblivion. And let's keep in mind that they're the least culpable group when it comes to the civil wars that have torn our nation apart, yet they're often those who suffer most. They've endured (and, in many places, still are enduring) more tragedies than ever, while their suffering is usually hushed. They're the silent, often underappreciated heroes who carry the burdens of a broken nation on their backs... and they do so with the outmost grace and diligence.

(Male) Nomads ought to consider the meaning and weight of their words before they imply that all Somali women are good for is talk. I can point to events spanning the last 13 years during which men's decision-making has proven to be nothing but empty rhetoric, but let's not go there. In reality, women are not marching through the streets of Muqdisho, Hargeysa, or Bossaso demanding appreciation. They have more important things to worry about, such as putting food in their children's mouths. Overlooking women's contributions is one thing - and it actually seems to be a norm in our society - but denying it is a completely different matter. Men can tell each other whatever they like while they sit in cafes or squabble endlessly in the "men's forums". But let's keep in mind that, when all's said and done, we were all brought into this world by a woman and ninwalba naagbu uu hoyda.

Salaama.

Yasmine,

That's absolutely true. However, you must understand its not just Somalis that are belitteling women but the entire globe as a whole. There would be a time, you would be thought being a man, because of your ability to reason and spread your message so effectively. Sadly, we too suffer from this in our society, Allah willing we shall over come this. smile.gif

Rahima   

Yasemin,

I too have noticed it, but let them sister, it is just a way for them to impose their maleness on us all (it may be that they have doubts about it ;) ).

Also, it’s one of the sad facets of our culture, I mean what do you expect from a culture which proverbs that a woman doesn’t have a tribe (which is what is important to them, therefore in essence she does not have an identity).

Anyway, testosterone flying around can’t really hurt anyone, let along the strong somali women :D .

Blessed   

I've noticed that too Yas. BUT it's the ‘geeljire’ way. I'm not bothered by the comments as I know it to be far from the truth and accept the fact that some men just can't help being tactless :D

Anyone who looks at the situation in any region of Somalia, you’d find while the majority of ‘leading’ men cause havoc. It is the women who pick up the pieces.

With that said, I'd advice the brothers who use this little tactic. Those, brothers who allow themselves to be overcome by the urge to insult / belittle women for the purpose of winning an argument - to re-assess. I personally, would question, the validity of that argument or that of any person who resorts to side-line insults at others. Why? Because, any contention that is worth expressing deserves an explanation – isn’t that the first rule of debating?

By shaking off the opposing view with an insult – is an indication that you are stuck for words? So, do these apparently educated men lack the vocabulary to articulate their responses without involving an innocent third party?

Another, interesting observation - notice how the majority of the men in this forum get all heated up over their politics - and the few women (with the exception of 1/2) are almost always trying to calm the situation.

I guess, we’ll have to wait and see. In the mean time, this Araweelo will continuo to amuse herself by the irony of Somali politics (both gender and governances).

Liqaye   

Sisters, geel-jireenimo is something we will try to wipe out from our posts.

On the other hand perhaps it would behoove the ladies to understand that this is a section were worst things will be thrown at you in an effort to make you and your opinion irrelevant and subersive.

Either live with it or i can only look foward to a repeat of this post in a few weeks.

AYOUB   

Yasmine, Rahima, Ameenah and the rest,

What do you think of the Mbagathi constitution which is reported to include a clause which says 12% of the parliamentary seats have been allocated specifically to women . Is that a good idea or just not enough?

Is it a bit tasteless for Asha Ahmed Abdalla

to sign documents/letters as Woman Politician ?

Warmoog   

Ayoub Sheikh,

I think the Mbagathi conference as a whole is fundamentally flawed. Regardless of how many seats are allocated to women, a government built on weak foundations can expect the roof to come crashing down. If there’s one lesson that should be learned from reconciliation conferences of the past, it’s that hurried processes will not solve the complex problems of Somalis.

As far as Asha Ahmed Abdalla is concerned, although I don't agree with some of her views, I think she's one of the few voices of reason left in Somali politics. She seems sincere, which is something I can of few politicians. Whether she calls herself a woman politician or not is entirely up to her. Titles mean little these days. After all, there're plenty of old timers and warlords who're still clutching to their old titles of 'general' and such.

Salaamz.

Blessed   

Originally posted by AYOUB_SHEIKH:

Yasmine, Rahima, Ameenah and the rest,

What do you think of the Mbagathi constitution which is reported to include a clause which says
12% of the parliamentary seats have been allocated specifically to women .
Is that a good idea or just not enough?

Is it a bit tasteless for Asha Ahmed Abdalla

to sign documents/letters as
?

I think it's a good idea, because as I see it; Somali politicians are defined by that doqon phrase. I don't know the exact wording, but you know the one about placing the stick beside her and if she doesn't get it, hitting her with it. - Come think of it, why are all the doqon phrases about women?

But anyways... Basically, I doubt that our men will allow many women in their midst if they can help it - so in that regard I welcome any measures that will enable the ladies to part-take in ploitics. Afterall, as Sangub illustrated in qabyo, Somalidu only take orders from ragii 'gaaloda' ahee wax yaqanka ah, ee Somali isagii ba meel la' cidna ma dhageeysanayso - and when that Somali is a woman, you might as well give up whilst your ahead.

As for Asha Abdulleh, calling herself a Woman Politician- I think it's pretty cool. She is a woman afterall.

Laakin, as Yasmin hinted - I think there are more pressing issues that the constitution needs to review...