Sign in to follow this  
Alisomali

Where Can I find the New Somali Charter

Salaan...

This is the then new proposed constitutional draft, perhaps with finalized minor changes made since it was drafted in August, 2003.

You can view it if you only have Adobe Reader. If you don't, follow this link.

Also, if you got time to spare, you can check the OLD first constitution of the 1960. Old Constitution of the Republic of Somalia.

Again if you can't view it on Adobe Reader, here is a HMTLized site.

Now, some interesting contrasts between the old constitution of 1960 of the newly born Republic and our new warlord-sponsored transitional federal constitution.

Whereas the Constitution of 1960 of Soomaali Republic in Article 1 unequivocally declares:

" The Somali people is one and indivisible."

In the new constitution, those words are omitted, deliberately.

In Article 6(4) of the old Constitution of the Republic:

" The Somali Republic should promote, by legal and by peaceful means, the union of Somali territories..."

In the new Transitional Federal constitution, in Article 2(1), we have:

" The Unity, Territorial, Integrity, Political independence and Sovereignty of the Republic of Somalia shall be independent, sacred, inviolable and indivisible."

It talks about the sovereignty of the "Republic of Somalia," but carefully doesn't mention the occupied/lost territories and lands Soomaalis reside. In circumstantial times we are in, I can definitely understand, though.

Regarding rights of citizenship, the old Constitution in Article 2(1,2,3) states:

1. The people consists of all the citizens.

2. The manner of acquiring and losing citizenship shall be established by

law.

3. No person may be denied citizenship or deprived thereof for

political reasons.

The key words here are "all" and "people." Those who wrote that old constitution deliberately had in mind to indicate that "all" Soomaali people, wherever they may happen to be, are automatically citizens of newly born Soomaali Republic.

What does our new warlord-proposed charter say? In Article 14:

CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH

Every person of Somali origin shall be entitled to citizenship of the Republic of Somalia PROVIDED that:"

A.)He /She was born in the Republic of Somalia; or

B.)Whose father is a citizen of the Republic of Somalia

If it stuck saying, "every person of Soomaali origin shall be entitled" would have been suffice, but it, for reasons unknown, wanted to clarify, adding "provided." Provided, yes, for deliberation intended those who now reside Soomaali Galbeed and NFD can now all forget about claiming an automatic right of Somali Republic "citizenship," which they have had every right to. It still seems vague, but make no mistake, the target was that.

Continued in Article 15:

CITIZENSHIP BY NATURALIZATION

1) Any person who is or has been ordinarily resident in the Republic of Somalia for a continuous period of

ten (10) years; and

2) Who satisfies the conditions prescribed by an Act of Parliament may apply to be naturalized as a citizen of Somalia

3) Any person, born outside the Republic of Somalia whom one of his parents, or grandparents are or were native of the Republic of Somalia.

Foreigners can now have the luxury to become "naturalized" Soomaali citizens. Emulating the very advanced Western societies.

OG_Girl   

for deliberation intended those who now reside Soomaali Galbeed and NFD can now all forget about claiming an automatic right of Somali Republic "citizenship," which they have had every right to. It still seems vague, but make no mistake, the target was that.

Hmm.. Neither my father Nor my grand father was born in republic of somalia .. So now I am not somali cause happened my Origin from accupied terroters :confused: :confused: .

Wondering what name they will give us? or Title?

Salam