Sign in to follow this  
Jaabir

Why does women adorn (beautify) themselves so much?

Macalin   

Rule Number 1..any word u dont understand that involves the opposite sex='unmentionables!catagory!

on a real note: i was told its shukaansi..dont hold it against me am just a sujuu who learnt the language ok! :D

NGONGE   

I might be an adult, but sometimes I’m as naïve as a two year old. It took a while to sink in but I got you now. Fancy having the time to look out for xaada though when you’ve got bigger fish to fry! Heh.

I'm hoping all this is subtle enough and will not offend anyone by the way. icon_razz.gif

Blessed   

Welcome back Mr Lakkad smile.gif

Yes, I know :rolleyes: You've told me enough :D ... still hustling to be shown the piercings icon_razz.gif

NGONG,

Actually, you kind of answered a question I had about Arab/ guys in carabta. I remember when I was a youth in KSA guys would go around following girls and telling them they looked beautiful, despite the fact that they had their niqaabs on. Always thought there was something odd about that but I guess they got no choice but to be 'eye' men :D

*I think the eyes say a lot about a person and the niqaab funnily enough accentuates them further. Every niqaabi I know seems to have beautiful eyes.....blahlalalala

Jaabir   

I am sure the third philosopher has hit the bull’s-eye.. I know some ladies may refuse his logic due to self-esteem issues.. but hey.. I can understand why…

See at any given day, if a guy meets a group of girls and happen to like one of them and starts to give her all his attention you will notice the rest of the girls will get pissed and definitely try and screw that hook up… happened to me many times… :D

girls will retaliate if you don’t give them the same amount of attention u gave her better looking girlfriends….

i agree with ectasy we do wanna look good for ourself and also there some woman who do wanna attract guyz but then if they are single. and i know guyz do the same thing lol.

Raxmah   

Make-up usually tosses women into a pit of lack of confidence, mystification, and even self-loathing (even if they're not really aware of it). Well, men who are attracted to women who wear a lot of make up are attracted to them out of pure animal instinct. Of course only in my opinion Men who act purely out of physical attraction treat women as sex toys, trophies and personal property. I will gladly walk out the door without a junk on my face – about the only think that I put on once in a while is kohl.

Unfortunately many women wear make-up and consider themselves ugly without it, very sad indeed. Turning make up into a daily and clown-like ritual only makes women feel unsure of her self and can really ruin their self-esteem. It's important to remember that true beauty is not found in superficialities but in who someone is.

I must agree with the 3rd philosopher though that’s why many women wear make-up.

The question I would ask is whether these philosophers were men or women. It would make a world of difference, since they generalized all women who wear makeup(if they happen to be men and will never really understand a woman's psyche as to why she does the things she does). As a person who does wear makeup, I think that makeup just accentuates what you already have. Now, cake makeup does tend to change alot of woman's appearance, but again, if you werent "beautiful" underneath that makeup, it will not do much for you. Lord knows I wouldn't give two ****s about whether a man is attracted to me or not, or to make another girl jealous. I do, however, care about my appearance and take care of myself.

Does that mean I have a low self-esteem? Or that I am just another sex-object in a man's world?

SiNoRiTa   

if u must know...people...i wear makeup to basically look good, lol!, every girl has her reason/s for "adorning" herself, its a... shall we say... feminin thing ok! leave us be! listen girls and listen good! ... we don't need to explain ourselves to whom ever wants to know why we wear makeup! its our business, like totally, i mean who wears makeup to impress some guy? lots of girls...right...hell i know i'm right! :D

lol! people RELAX!

later...

Haneefah   

Originally posted by Lakkad:

am told sxb,(sida la ii sheegay yaah!
;)
that xaada...the soft,goldish ones-tend to 'stand'---when and during the xodxodisho episode(s)
:D
Off coz, any man who can make HER xaad 'stand'..is of coz a MAN--or so the theory was XPLAINED to me!

Lol...war cusub...oo markaad gabadha xodxodaneyso ma indhaheedaad eegtaa misa xaadeeda?

I honestly don't think that any of the claims by these philosophers is sufficient to explain why women adorn themselves. I think that it really depends on the woman, what type of a person she is and her likes and dislikes. Every woman has her own reasons for wanting to look beautiful (mind you, some don't even want to, and others are quite indifferent) hence why the reasons can't be as clear-cut as A, B or C.

First, Makeup is not the only thing a woman adorns herself with (some ppl tend to think so)...it's among the many things a woman can use to look good...like her dress code, the way she does her hair, working on her body shape etc etc are all part of trying to look good.

Yes, unfortunately there are those who like to conform to the norm or to society's (western) expectation of how a woman is supposed to have a high sex appeal...and yes, for them their motives might have to do with impressing and turning many heads...but on the contrary, there's others (including myself) who could care less about how others perceive them appearance wise, and beautify themselves solely to feel good about themselves and to like how they look to THEMSELVES.

For instance,I always do my hair nicely, dye it, style it yet I'm a hijabi. And I also like to look good when I'm going out....occassional make-up too...but I literally hate to get any sort of attention from men walahi, it's so friggin uncomfortable...I also have cousins and know other girls who let their hair down, wear sexy tank tops and shorts and make-up at home, and they wear their cabayas when they leave home...now, who are they trying to impress?

And about impresing other women?...that's just absurd, dumarkaasoo kale shaqo la'aan baa heysa :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Another thing that bothers me about some ppl when it comes to these type of issues....why do they always interpret caring about ones appearance (including wearing make-up) as lack of self-efficacy? I'd like to see them explain how they come up with that :rolleyes:

Ecstasy, are you serious? Are you telling me you believe in everything that you put in writing? If so you’re in denial. Face the facts, I know you want to come off as a intellectual sister who does things on her own accord, but from this piece, you could not be further from the truth. I sure as hell I’m an intellectual sister who does things under her own terms. The difference between you and I is, the fact that I’m being factual and your idealistic. Let me give you a list with all the things I find wrong with your “foundation.”

1) You said you don’t have time for attracting men, and you don’t put on makeup. So what you’re saying is, if you had time for attracting men, you would have used makeup, and since you don’t use makeup, you don’t attract men. So it only leaves to conclude that makeup attracts men. You not using makeup and you not “having time to attract men” leads to the conclusion that you have not attracted men due to not your lack of wanting their attention, but to the lack of makeup.

2) It does not matter whether marriage is around the corner, or 10 years from now, the results are still the same: Girl + makeup =attraction. Attraction + dating=marriage. How does a girl become attractive? If it was due to natural beauty, Mac would be out of business, I assure you.

3) Tara Banks, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, are extremely gorgeous, due to both their features (natural beauty) and a little help from cover girl. If they use makeup to look attractive, sweetie, you sure as hell need one as well. Don’t give me that shit, about not using makeup and still looking drop dead gorgeous, if that is your argument, no need to continue writing any more, for that is unrealistic, in other words, its bullshit.

4) 75% of men, prefer women who don’t wear “pounds of makeup”, which means, women who look like street walkers, or bubo the clown. A little face powder, lipstick ain’t ever caused a guy to turn around, except for a double take. So save that piece of info for someone who has the mind-capacity of a 10 –year-old, because I sure as hell ain’t buying that.

5) When you say “i sure as hell am one fine confident woman!” do you mean confident in all aspects? Such as the way you look (every single inch, from your head to your toe, every scar, every mark, every fat, every thing) dress, walk, talk. If so, damn god must have spent more time on you than he did upon all his other creatures. Wow, you must be gorgeous. Wow. If that was the case though, than wouldn’t you have attracted every guy, whether you “had time” for it or not? :eek: I mean attraction does not depend upon the permission of the person who is being observed. If it did, some unsightly looking creatures wouldn’t be attracted to good looking folks (“such as your self”) :rolleyes: they would have been kicked to the curb and would be among their kind…..who in your theory, are those who put on makeup (such as myself and half female population). Interesting.

You could be the most beautiful person god has ever created (Ecstasy), ;) and you still would need a little cover up, lipstick, lip-gloss (which by the way is considered makeup because it modifies a person’s “natural beauty” it puts a lil shine upon it, which makes you up, from what you were before applying it) to make you look even better. 99.9% of women (except for the ‘special’ ones) use makeup, or modify themselves to look good in the eyes of others, whether it’s men or women. If that was not true, than every woman would come out to public, to go to either school or work, looking like the way they did when they first woke up. How many women can you honestly say come to work with tangled hair, bad breath, pajamas, and big ol bugs bunny slippers? Not an iota. None. Zero. Nata. How many women can you say come to either work or school with make up on, and dressed up. A lot. Many. The Majority. Almost every female. So if what Ecstasy predicted was true (wearing makeup for one’s self) than why don’t every female put makeup on to bed? Why do they wash it off, and than reapply it in the morning? That tells you, makeup is to give you more confidence than you already possess, and to be attractive. And we all know that every single woman, except for lesbians, beautify themselves to either get or obtain the attention of a certain guy…who ever disagrees with that Is from mars. Please don’t even try to argue about that. You will sound ridiculou

i personally look like crap and have made a fine art out of it. but i do think that fashion, the latest purses, designer shoes, skirts e.t.c., are worn for other women. kinda like a "look what i have" type steez. i think for the most part men have little to do with why we wear what we wear, cause youd still be looking at us if we wore paper bags.

a while ago, some local habaryar's bought some "paddings" for their derrieres. these women had no intention of highlighting their features, wheter real or assisted, in public, but to discreetly show their "curves" in gatherings with other women. these women are all married, so theyre not fooling their husbands, their wear loose clothing outside, so no random men can see their figure, so tell me, who did they do it for?

Pucca   

whoa!!!

dang mizz P, gal you must have nuff time to waste,

you actually analyzed every lil sentence i wrote, boy, your one really intelligent sister mashaallaah!

sweety, wat you wrote were all your opinions and unfortunatly not everyone will agree wit you. And if you want to criticize my opinions in hopes of getting a similar response then i'm sorry to disappoint you, i simply dont have the time to sit and write negative comments.

ciao