Sign in to follow this  
Xudeedi

Ummad isu Daran (Sool and Sanaag regions)

Xudeedi   

I know this is a controversial, but meaningful topic as well that completely highlights the political reality of North Somalia. The people of Sanaag and Sool, in my opinion, might be reluctant to give their say about this issue. Uphelding my emotion, I was really touched by the message of this opinion (read the article below) . We are sort of in a situation between the devil and deep blue sea, neither Puntland nor Somaliland is working on the interest of our people. We (Sanag and Sool) can decide for our territory and people as opposed to remaining content with the "coalition of convenience". In this respect, Divorcing our political affiliation with Puntland or Somaliland serves better choice and is the best alternative to get out of this mayhem. Our territory was metamorphosed into a battlefield whereby the two interest groups are now using it as a gateway to attain their main goal.

I am not in a position to divide one society. However, my vision is surely that of reciprocal means. It is time that the people of Sanaag and Sool speak for their own affairs and stand independent. Both Hargeisa and GArowe collect the international aid of Sanaag and Sool on our behalf. Yet they provide little or no service at all to combat the financial problems and difficulties that these regions face daily. As you are aware of, Hargeisa had had deterred donors group from responding to the draught crisis, portraying our regions as too dangerous to visit or help the people that were affected by the draught.

If youare from these regions, what do you think is the best solution? Others are welcome to contribute!

UMMAD ISU DARAN

Xudeedi   

These regions have been neglected under the cloak of phantom states, one being the pursuit to claim colonial legacy and the other being ephemeral state whose main portfolio is to achieve internal stability, harmony and progress. However, neither state has worked to the progress of these regions except posing them to constant threats of war and destruction. An important dimension is, as it appears, reaction is very diminutive as to liberate the citizens of these regions from the fetters of political ignorance, nor is there any hopeful determination to overcome these chains of degeneration. I dismiss the idea that fragmentation is dysfunctional at this situation in Somalia, conversely it helps the groups that doesn’t benefit from phantom states in a position to assert their needs, regional development, existence, and competition with the rest. The few adversary reaction to these unfolding events of inequality has never gotten widespread Sanag and Sool support or publicity. They are being divided to weaken their bargaining position and cost effect as a strategy to maintain structural differentiation in the region.

“Power†was used to persuade and control its elders, experts and politicians. I mean “power†as means of winning effortlessly the aim to submit the organs of these regions to blandishments, elusive seats, and brotherhood of few or no expectations. These distinctions, in my opinion are essential for the residents of these regions to apprehend what is best interest of their people and territory. What Sanaag and Sool need is an action-orientation level of direction, mutual understanding, reflecting the condition of their regions as the main priority over anything as did by their forefathers. It lays bare when one argues that neighbors don’t tend to be hostile over competition of interests and whether it shall intensify or diminish over the years is unpredictable.

Laba-X   

Salaan sare Maakhir!

We are sort of in a situation between the devil and deep blue sea, neither Puntland nor Somaliland is working on the interest of our people.

...You've become conscious of this matter a bit too late Maakhir! To Kaahin riyaale and Yey Mey, this is a political situation. Neither the peaceful and innocuous people of Sool and sanaag, nor their lives matter to these illicit and inhumane trespassers.

I say let the ********** and ***** take their futile hostilities to Garoowe, wheer they can settle it brutally while we endeavour renovating and rebuilding our Lands!

Great Post!

Originally posted by Raganimo:

I say let the ********** and ***** take their futile hostilities to Garoowe, wheer they can settle it brutally while we endeavour renovating and rebuilding our Lands!

Who's stopping you from building "our land" right now? There are no hostilities in Garoowe nor will there be. Its one of the few cities in Somalia that has largely been spared both the pre-civil war and civil war violence. The boys armed and ready to defend Sool and Sanaag are none other than local boys from the local clans of SSC areas. You making it seem as if its boys from other areas or am I misreading your silly comments?

Qudhac   

while you are probally right about southern sool but last time i went to ceerigabo it was city that was developing very well who flew the somaliland flag with pride, and with all the local government institutions working fully.

but then again am not aware of the situation in the other towns like las qorey. :D

Xudeedi   

Originally posted by Qudhac:

while you are probally right about southern sool but last time i went to ceerigabo it was city that was developing very well who flew the somaliland flag with pride, and with all the local government institutions working fully.

but then again am not aware of the situation in the other towns like las qorey.
:D

Raganimo, that was great understanding and confession of political reality.

Qudhac, you seem to be retreating to self-defence not wanting to touch the reality.

First, are these regions at liberty to non-interference, A non-interference which affords them autonomy and maintenance of peace and progress. Ever since the creation of Puntland, the citizens of these regions have parted into highly opposing groups that embrace the differing ideologies of both Puntland and Somaliland. These two groups have hitherto stood complacent about the clash of interest that perpetuate one another, conspiring cooperatively with either Hargeisa or Garowe to the detriment of their own people. How many occasions have these local mercenaries spurred violence under the umbrella of Hargeisa and Garoowe altercations over the claims of their own territories . Every bad thing is happening in Sanaag/sool regions, and there hasn’t been authority figures or the Garads/Sultan that spoke against or provided counterweight on the issue or the bogus land dispute.

I believe sovereignty (ephemeral autonomy)provide sense of fulfillment, aspiration, and goal in itself. It is an instrument to attainable ends. Hence, it is the best interest of Sanaag and Sool residents to discern what lies ahead without forejudging the realm of their affiliation with the main ‘Groups’ merely for blood relationship or territorial shares.

Jamster   

Makhir no one is stopping you to lend your assistance to your brethen. If you have a deep sense of the reality on the ground, then dear fair friend you would not pen down such flacious thoughts.

Sanaag and Sool is developing, LA is the fast growing city in Somalia! when I last visited it had nearly 10000 houses, now the number is double. The schools are built so as Universities.

Qudhac   

^^^

its all good saying leave these poor people alone but you have to consider majority of the people with the guns and those leading the fights are from these regions on both sides :eek:

so maybe the term "dad isu daran" is correct after all??

windtalker

i agree with u..it seems to me that

they refering to sanaag region not sool

cause the boys at the frontline in

sool are local boys and sool region been

booming since creation of puntland..

i been there a few myself and seen the diffrence

but what most people forget is that all these

regional administrations just provide law & order

they are to poor to provide most basic institutions its up to they people to

develope their lands and towns cause thats what i believe

is the main issue here!!!

Maakhir, where does the tribal buck stop?

Clan? sub-clan? sub-sub-clan? sub-sub-sub clan?

Who will dominate any new Sool/Sanaag admin? :D What will smaller sub-sub-sub clans say after such administration is created? :D

Originally posted by Maakhir:

How many occasions have these local mercenaries spurred violence under the umbrella of Hargeisa and Garoowe altercations over the claims of their own territories .

The good people of SSC are not fighting for 'Puntland' or 'Somaliland.' First of all, 'Puntland' is a temporary thing - until a truly federal Somali government is created and each region (i.e. Sool, Nugaal) are free to self-govern at a 'state' level similar to the U.S. system. 'Somaliland' is an ideology that is, for the most part, being literally forced down the throats of Reer SSC. Somaliland politicians and military officials have time again swore to reach their mystical 'eastern border' (few KM from Garoowe) at all costs, including military force. Do you think the people of Bari/Nugaal/Mudug will sit and watch as Somaliland troops forcefully storm Laascaanood and Laas Qoray?

The really funny thing is, if 'Somaliland' invades Laascaanood and Laas Qoray and Reer Bari/Nugaal/Mudug don't react, THEY'LL be labelled as treasonous by all Somalis for letting Somaliland secede - esp by Reer SSC who'll blame them for not helping.

Give us a break sxb. I'm still not sure you even have a solution to this political dilemma.

Xudeedi   

Libaxasanka, You just stated tacit approval of the these regions mayhem. Perhaps you are implying that the clans in Puntland are inseperable one entity. My hidden point is that these regions aren't in a position to thwart secession from happening if that is what the motive of Puntland's existance. Rather, these regions have been cut off from keeping good neighborly relationship that nurture tangible progress and stability.

The inexpugnable people of "Sanaag region and Bari region" for instance have been indepedent historically, and the notion of indepedency is still impelling but not active in the sense of "apperent progress" . Clan affinities aside, have we historically connected as one entity or one sub sub clan?

Farah, in my opinion, retreating to the principle of seclussion won't help our domestic problems. Las Anod situate near the frontline border and is indeed susceptible to constant attacks. The Hargeisa adminstration claim it and have already pledged that they will secure it by using its own people as an instrument and liability. Contrary to the delusions, the city is not a bustling 'diverse' city where at least two or more clans reside such as Boosaaso or Galkacyo that have now made relative peace and progress due to the port and signing peace treaty with the local clans respectively. However, i am glad that their residents are geared towards building their own city and improving the level of decade long of the poor quality of education. But if you look on the other side of the equation, these local people are deeply divided. What do you say about the speach of Ali Khalif Galeydh prior to the distribution of parliamertary seats? What do you say about the speach of Garad AbdiQani (go to Sanaagonline.com). Aren't your local people divided to the fullest? Another example is CAwad Casharo who was fierce supporter of A/Y. Since his tenure as a minister in Puntland, he is said to have never visited Sanag region.

Jamster   

Let me my dear fellow educate you on this complex matter-- or so it seems from the first glance. I am from Las Anod, what has been happening for the past two years in that part of Somalia is really nothing to do with Somaliland vs Puntland but indeed sub clan powering grabbing. Like any other city and clan, there has always been certain sub clan being dominant but such influence had been done away with (or so some think) at the outbreak of the civil war.Traditional power breakers in that area feel threatened buy some who they regard to be lesser beings-- take it as you will. Those who felt they should remain at the helm then saw Puntland (an state that does not recognise aristocracy but indeed is meritocracy state-- or atleast aspire to be on aristocracy).

The Sanaag issue is similiar (Adan Siciid Vs the Traditional leaders)! Adan said being a man of numerous followers and is indeed a staunch supporter of Puntland, the current Arch Sultan Said (though I think the Legitimate Sultan is Suldaan Cali Mahdi-- my Abti) being nearly drawn by this new force seeks support from Hargeisa. Also, The N Ahmed boys are suffering from such dilema; the old v the new!

This is the real underlining cause of this seeming division. We have to first sort this mess out and let us not all put the blame where it does not belong.

Farah

Xudeedi   
Originally posted by Farah:

Those who felt they should remain at the helm then saw Puntland (an state that does not recognise aristocracy but indeed is meritocracy state-- or atleast aspire to be on aristocracy).

I agree somehow Puntland is secretly seeking acclaimed status or aristocracy as evidenced by the article in RadioLascanod website after Gen. Cadde deliberately said that Puntland stays out of the political meddling of Sanag and Sool with Somaliland. Many politicians expressed skepticism that his statement would lead to an alleged ambiguity over his integrity as president but felt it was clearly reneging on the contract that the people reposited on his government. . what's more, the claim of the late Islaam Mohammed (rest in peace) that the presidency of Puntland is reserved only for the main group also spelled out the hidden belief that these regions don't belong there. What you say about this?

This is the real underlining cause of this seeming division. We have to first sort this mess out and let us not all put the blame where it does not belong.

Farah, i am not in fact versed in the inside politics of these subclans. I see things from general perspective that strives for the common welfare of these regions. Are you saying that the traditional power-breakers and some subclans are split over petty grudges?