Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad

Dr Mahathir Mohamad on Talking Point

Rokko   

Garyaqaan, Mahathir's vision 20/20 is something to be admired atleast.

I agree with you, he does have many shortcomings. But I love his style of keeping the 40% ethnic Chinese gaalo at bay. They were brought to Malaysia as labourers by the British and Mahathir doesn't want them to take over his country na'mean?.

girlsmalaysia.jpg

African   

Originally posted GarYaQaan by

You gotta be kidding me...this Dictator is a good muslim? do you follow Malay politics?

When I saw the title I asked my self the same questions. Can Malaysia's achievements be attributed to Mahathir or to the oppressed & peace loving good practicing Muslim opposition leaders who are systematically locked up by him?

Muhammad   

greetings fellow brothers and sisters

one of the main reasons why our ummah has fallen into such predicamante is our lack of great leaders. Dr Mahathir is not a perfect Muslim nor is he a perfect leader, but the reason I have posted this article was due to one reason: the retirement of Dr Mahathir from power. this is what I ment - a bright example.

It is also good that we not only look at the foults of the man but his good deeds. there is no doubt that he has achieved pretty amazing things since he was in power, mainly developing Malaysia's economy into modern one.

there is not one leader in the Muslim world I think is close to matching Dr Mahathir, he might not be Perfect, but atleast he is far ahead of his fellow 'muslim' head of states.

Liqaye   

I am realy suprised at what people have to say about mahathir.

He might be a dictator but at least his a benevolent one who understands the realtion between politics and economics and social justice.

He has stood up to the west countless of times, the most important being during the 1997 asian econmic crises, he refused to follow western precepts in solving the crises in malaysia and consequently he was vilified, but he's country was the first to come out of the crises in that situation.

When it comes to POLITICS it seems people find it hard to understand that it really is POLITICS, were people play dirty and some one has to be the last man standing, when it comes to that ANWAR something or the other who was accused according to some wrongly, he made his grab for power and failed, thats the way life is!

Mahathir in that situation did not bomb any part of his country or commit genocide or try to turn the peoples attention to some little staged managed border war with thailand or singapore as so many people have done.

A first class country due to first class LEADERSHIP.

oh to those who feel GOD is the answer I would like to ask you how that mullah in the northen state is going to rule a country like malaysia that is so culturaly diverse with HIS and i retirate HIS brand of muslim law, will malys, chinese, aboriginals and indians all accept it.?

Mahathir mohammed is one leader with a backbone.

Period

Muhammad   

In a sense the conference was preaching to the converted. All the more curious that the Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad should close the event with a bellicose call to arms.

For Dr Mahathir Muslims should master science so the world of Islam can stand up to the West.

"We need modern weapons. We need tanks, battleships, fighter planes, knowledge of rockets," he told the delegates. "These are the weapons that can strike fear into the hearts of our enemies and defend us."

___ Dr Mahathir Mohamad at the summit of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in mid-October.

Yasima   

Mahathir in his own words

Dr Mahathir is due to retire later this year

Asia's longest-serving elected leader, Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, has never shied away from controversy.

The 77-year-old, who is due to hand over the premiership to a hand-picked successor later in 2003, has over the past 22 years frequently hit the headlines with his provocative remarks, drawing both condemnation and applause.

Below we list some of his most infamous comments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On America's war on terror

If innocent people who died in the attack on Afghanistan and those who have been dying from lack of food and medical care in Iraq are considered collaterals, are the 3,000 who died in New York and the 200 in Bali also just collaterals whose deaths are necessary for operations to succeed?

March 2003

Their strategy to fight terrorism is through attacking Muslim countries and Muslims, whether they are guilty or not.

June 2003

They made a mistake in Iraq. Now in Iraq, instead of feeling happy and saying thanks to the liberators, they are killing the liberators.

October 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Australia

This country stands out like a sore thumb trying to impose its European values in Asia as if it is the good old days when people can shoot aborigines without caring about human rights.

December 2002

Australia has made known to the world that it wants to be the deputy sheriff of this region. It's very difficult to get along with deputy sheriffs.

October 2003

On Europeans

They are very clever, brave and have an insatiable curiosity... unfortunately they are also very greedy and like to take forcibly the territories and rights of other people.

The culture and the values which they will force us to accept will be hedonism, unlimited quest for pleasure, the satisfaction of base desires, particularly sexual desires. Our way of life must be the same as their way of life. Asian values do not exist to them.

June 2003

On Jews

The Jews for example are not merely hook-nosed, but understand money instinctively.

1970, the Malay Dilemma

Later, on the drop in the value of the Malaysian currency:

We are Muslims and the Jews are not happy to see Muslims' progress. We may suspect that they have an agenda but we do not want to accuse them... If viewed from Palestine, the Jews have robbed Palestinians of everything but they cannot do this in Malaysia, so they do this.

October 1997

On Muslims

Disunited, confused about Islam, fighting each other for power and lacking in essential knowledge and skills... Muslims today have reached the lowest point of their development.

January 2003

On politicians

On gay British MPs:

The British people accept homosexual ministers but if they ever come here bringing their boyfriend along, we will throw them out.

November 2001

On Arnold Schwarzenegger's election as governor of California, despite allegations about his past:

"I think he had every right to contest. People do not grow up to think that, 'Ah, I'm going to be the next governor and therefore I must deny myself all the pleasures of life'."

October 2003

On retiring:

I'm 78 years old. That is old and I think I should be retiring to give other people a chance to do better.

October 2003