Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Kenya peace bid in Somalia ‘doomed’

Castro   

NAIROBI — Kenya’s effort to secure African peacekeepers to aid the transitional government in Somalia looked doomed yesterday as clashes intensified.

At least five people were killed as gunmen battled government and Ethiopian troops in the heaviest fighting in the capital, Mogadishu, since the ousting of Union of Islamic Courts militia in a lightning offensive last month.

A policeman was also gunned down when a gang raided a cache of weapons he was guarding, witnesses said.

Regional diplomats said it was unlikely African Union (AU) members would agree to send peacekeepers unless fighting halted. Kenyan President Mwai Kibaki, who heads a seven-nation regional peace body, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, sent envoys to secure at least 8000 African troops to take over from Ethiopian forces.

Kibaki sent special envoys to Rwanda, Tanzania, Mozambique, Angola, Zambia, Tunisia and Algeria. So far only Uganda has offered a 1500-strong troop contingent, although parliamentary approval is yet to be secured.

President Thabo Mbeki said last week that “Africa has no choice but to help bring peace to Somalia”, but did not commit South African troops.

Meanwhile, members of parliament in Somalia approved the imposition of martial law at the weekend, giving the security forces wide-ranging powers.

Analysts said US and Ethiopian participation in ousting the Islamists had greatly jeopardised the chances of ending fighting.

US jets launched attacks against suspected al-Qaeda hideouts shortly after Islamists fled Mogadishu, killing scores and sparking international outrage.

AU officials were in Mogadishu yesterday to discuss peacekeeping at the invitation of the Somali government.

Business Day

Analysts said US and Ethiopian participation in ousting the Islamists had greatly jeopardised the chances of ending fighting.

I am guessing these analyst & the goat herders[That DoorKn.ob was reffering to] share something in common heh? Or these same analyst are also the goat herders? :confused:

Why was door(nope) censored? LOL

Let me try the following:

Puppet

Gaalrac

Edit: LOL.OK so Door(nope) & D.Dhilif are a No-No

Originally posted by Abu Paragon:

Re-name them 'Daba-qoodhi'

Carabkeyga ma karo waxaas. Dhilifs unbaan ugu yeeraya. I can always put a dot between the K & the N.

Doork.nob(Bal eeg) :D

Pi   

^^ When did it start to become juvenile?

Anyhow, it's just easier to throw insults and epithets. Hardly any thought process involved. It's tempting.

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

Ok guys lets stop with the name calling please (my self included).. its getting juvenile.

DoorK is not an insult. Its a game or activity that makes someone who flatulated to grab a DoorK to stop the participants from physically assaulting tht person(Or they could yell ("Safety") if they dont find a DoorK.

Here read it all on Wikipedia if you think am lying DoorNope

bambo   

castro why are you always advertising bad news comming out of home land ,

can i ask you Question , the country that you are based in today who runs it , a muslim somali or gaal sxb , do you have say in the administraton sxb NO ............

so sxb just like you people are tryn to improve theirs lifes by working , studying and etc . our people back home want to get on with their lifes and for get about abdulahi , geedi and etc . They are missing basics sxb , let nation first stands on its two feet before we get too demanding ,

i hope you understand sxb , insted of wasting yourr time on bad news you should demostrate to us on how we can improve somalia economicley

ElPunto   

When all else(intellect, reason, character) fails - insults are the way! And this coming from the westernized, presumably educated elite of Somalis on the planet. Oy Vey! :rolleyes:

Boohoo. Grown men crying foul(or was it foul mouth?). Yall clanishly support a govt that has invaded its own nation & killed thousands of its innocent civilians. Yet yall are here talking about juvenile name calling & condemning the educated elite to refrain from such? Wow. let me go wash my filthy mouth eh?

:rolleyes:

Castro   

Originally posted by bambo:

castro why are you always advertising bad news

comming out of home land

Saaxib is the bad news coming out of the homeland made up? If not, why wouldn't you want to hear about it? If you're interested in positive news, many people bring that here as well.

I feel there's a lack of balance between the overly rosy picture painted by the supporters of the TFG and the other (what you call bad) news coming out of the country.

I'm not a journalist and I only bring quotes from media sources who have deemed fit to right about these incidents and issues. If you find them to be bearers of bad news, take it up with them. I always provide the source, unlike many of the fly-by-night "good" news coming out of Villa Somalia complete with pictures and all.

Finally, I'll leave you with this thought. If you'd been paying attention, you'd recall the Bush administration complained about the "bad" news coming from Iraq in the early months of the war. They attacked the media for focusing on car bombings and death squad killings and not the reconstruction effort that was underway. Well guess what, they don't complain anymore. Do you know why? Because no one believes their rosy lies of reconstruction and security in Iraq. It's so bad out there any talk of reconstruction projects pales in comparison to the carnage gripping the country. Muqdisho is far from Baghdad but blaming the media for the bad news is an exercise in futility. Many of the corporations owning the media reporting the bad news are interested in keeping the TFG there. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot?

Think about it saaxib.