Sign in to follow this  
Urban

gift ideas for mum..

Urban   

Salam

I've only seen my mum once in over 2 years now, and she's visiting again next week with my little bro and little sis. So can you recommend something please? I'm out of ideas..

I'm getting my little bro a PSP (second hand) redface.gif , since I know he's crazy about them. He's 8/9 yrs old.

Mum: I don't know what to buy, she loves perfumes but already owns a large collection. She doesnt wear jewelery. Already owns a few Qur'ans. Never uses 'gadgets'. I'm stuck, and I never bought her anything before at all.. :S

Little sis: 15/16 yrs old. Used to be into hip hop music, wanted to be a fashion designer. But now she's studyin full-time in an Islamic college, then after that wants to enroll into an Islamic uni, somewhere in Arab world. Quite a change. Any gift ideas?

If you dont want to ask her what she would like as a gift then i reccommend this for a somali mum.

1. Clothes, anything even a praying set, guntiino, dirac, dresses or Abayas.

2. Perfumes. Try to find her favourite. i never get enough of my fav. perfume.

4. She doesnt like jewelery , how about a nice watch?

5.Some great shoes or even a handbag.

6.A nice rejuvenating and deep moisturizing body lotion. or even whole beuty set.

7. If she is driving, u can renovate her car. The interior i mean.

8. If there is some one she supports back home, or gets concerned abt them, somebody she loves, send them money if you can afford on her behalf. That could make her really happy.

9. Tell her you how much you love her and cook her favourite meal, if you dont cook, buy it. I hope u have a wonderful time with your mum and simblings.

^^ good ideas umu zakaria, especially #8 =)

moms are usually suckers for foot massages, get her one of those massage kits or send her to a spa for a full day of pampering.

for your sister, a year's subscription to a stylish muslim mag like this one, she might like it :D

chubacka   

foot massage sounds nice...I jst wanna see him try to explain wot its for!

If there are any somali shops near you you could get some tapes of tafseer of quran in somali or even a collective of audio quran.

My mum has soo many tapes an jst listens to them for hours.

good luck.

winnie   

talk to her, spend time with her, and please make her laugh... more importantly make her feel important.

mom's don''t get this alot, and they don't hear "i love you" alot... in fact im pretty sure theyve heard their share of "i hate you"'s coupled with "i cant believe your doing this to me" finished with the ever popular "you're the worst mom ever!"

getting somali moms to pamper themselves is difficult. your gift may be wasted unless you make it a point that she uses *insert pampering item you want to buy*. the only way i can get my mom to go to a hairdresser is if i invite/pay for her sister to come along, that way its a group thing for her.

seriously though, make her feel appreciated, itll go a long way.

Som@li   

-Buy gift for your bro and sis

-And for mum, make her proud, show her how much she means to you,and you love her.

Aaliyyah   

Well if your mom is a typical somali lady ....dirac dahab iyo uunsi iyo cadar loo gadaa smile.gif

Masha allah I guess your sister became mature and realized there was no benefit at all copying street kids. Masha allah she did found the right path and may allah swt preserve her Iman. As for her gift I am sure islamic cd collections and Abaya would be nice and maybe a hand bag...we ladies love hand bags smile.gif

Urban   

Many thanks to everyone that replied. Great ideas.. I know just the thing to buy now (i think)

Grasshopper, no need for the foot massage kit, i've got 2 hands. My mum isn't the salon or Spa type.

And if they can deliver those mags to middle east then i would look into it.

Handbag sounds nice, i just dont trust my taste.

I think i'll do most of what all of you suggested over the next couple of weeks that she's here for. inshallah.