Sign in to follow this  
Xudeedi

In Response to Ashley’s Coverage on Puntland Conflict $ More News

Som@li   

Adde proved he is incompentent, and is unable to lead Puntland, He doesn't know how things work among the locals.For the sake of stabillity in the region, he should resign immediately, else the present situation of puntland , which was deteriorating since came to power, will get worse.

Som@li   

Originally posted by Maakhir:

An article that gives explicit highlight of the coverage of the conflict in
Majiyhaan and Dhanan
by Punt Land Media

it is Dhalan, not Dhanan, and thanks for the links,

Xudeedi   

Originally posted by art:

Maakhir, so what is being said is that Range resources presence will precipitate a war....is that correct?

Yes it has precipitated two armed clashes and that dozens of people have been killed in the first armed clash of the conflict and 5 more in the second clash of the conflict. Reuters reported as well a week ago about the first conflict. But , it is hard to conceive of the current situation in Majihaan currently as both forces are mobilizing their militias and preparing for war, apparently it has to do with the team of experts from Range in the area.

The governor has been accused of being a corrupt leader who want forcefully to exploit the resources of a country under the customary and legal jurisdiction of the clan that reside there. The Wars***** clan, the clan that reside the area does not object to the exploration and extraction of minerals but they insist everything be done with their approval.

Puntland was created out of tribal alliances for security arrangement and other social needs.

Somaliland, which is also a clan entity is playing a role in this political stalemate, making the situation appear as if it has to do with border disputes even though they highlight of the disagreement about the deal.

Somaliland has no army, adminstration, or police in the region it claims politically so as Puntland and that is an important for these companies to realize by giving a priority to the clans that settle in the area before they make important decisions.

Xudeedi   

Paragon, the link you provided highlights some of the things Awad Ashara said in his interview with SBS. Have you paid a close attention to the Articles 67 and 69, tha a "law should be enacted which defines the manner of exploitation for the common good"? Link

"However, I have informed the Puntland authority its obligation

under our Transitional Federal Charter and alerted them not to

enter into any agreement with any party in relation to the

national natural resources," states it in reference to the P.M.

Maakhir & Paragon; would you be kind enough to educate us about this issue: what do the locals object to? Is it about the share of the pie to which they object or the authority of the said deal that they reject? Are they represented in the current Puntland admin? Do they have reps in Puntland house of appointed (selected) legislators?

On a side note, Puntland, it seems to me, is at its infancy. The election of Cadde has in many ways taken it back in time. Its persistent economic stagnation has been enough headaches for all concern. These reported skirmishes do indeed indicate that its politics is on the wrong track as well. Nimaan macno badan lahayn baa meeshii qabsaday.

May be, just may be, only the old man knows how to gather this herd!

BoiBoi   

Paragon,

I am enjoying this discussion. I'm not making any moral statements about Range/Consort/Puntland, I'm simply stating the facts.

By posting PM Gedi's letter dated the 6/10/05, is a bit hyprocritical wouldn't you say?

When I provided you a link to PM Gedi's letter dated the 02/11/05 you gave me this reply:

BoiBoi, these are not varified facts, mate. You have shown me a letter alleged to be from Geedi, whose e-mail address is
and whose formal address is Sarit Centre [big Grin] . What a combination. The letter's authenticity is not beyond doubt and the link you have provided is to Range Resources' website, thus one-sided.

So what are you trying to say?

Note the email address on both letters? Why, they are the same.

Once again Facts is what we need not opinions!

Oh...I've provided a link to Somlitalk.com, didn't want to be one sided.

http://www.somaliatalk.com/terry/warq11205.pdf

Paragon   

BoiBoi: By posting PM Gedi's letter dated the 6/10/05, is a bit hyprocritical wouldn't you say?

BoiBoi, the object of exhibiting the letter dated 06.10.05 was not at all hypocritical. The letter was exhibited as an evidence, in order to demonstrate, albeit subtly, that it’s existence is testimony to the Prime Minister’s current disposition to write contradictory letters that may place him in a legal limbo. First, Mr. Geedi heroically intervenes the contractual agreement between a foreign entity and the internal administrative body of the Republic of Somalia. To be concerned with/and protect against the breaking of the Republic’s charters is one of the Prime-Minister’s national duties. However, by writing another letter that was disregardful of the Charter, which he was meant to uphold, was an awful mistake. As stipulated by the very article (44), the Prime-Minister, and even the President of the Republic, let alone a regional leader such as Cade, do not have the unanimous authority to sign international treaties without the Proposal of Council of Ministers and, most importantly, without the ratification of the Parliament of the Republic. See below:

Article 44, paragraph 4 (a): "The President of the Republic of Somalia has the authority to sign International Treaties on the proposal of the Council of Ministers and upon ratification by the Parliament".

The Parliament’s criteria for ratification should be inline with Article 67 of paragraph 1 of the Charter, which states that:

Natural resources and environment protection, "The natural resources of the country such as the minerals, water, flora and fauna shall be public property and a law shall be enacted which defines the manner of exploitation for the common good". See also "The power of the Transitional Federal

Government, Schedule I: paragraphs 1 (Foreign Affairs) &

9 (Natural resources)".

Thus, Range-Resources’ evidence showing the Prime Minister’s permission is at best unbinding and worst outright illegal. Range Resources, knowing that they were dealing with a regional administration, has ignored to investigate the possible conflict between their presence and the Charter of the Republic of Somalia. They were capable, financially and legally, to be sure of the legality of their operations within the state of Puntland. They thus share with Cade, a careless willingness to operate outside the Law of the land.

When I provided you a link to PM Gedi's letter dated the 02/11/05 you gave me this reply:

quote:

BoiBoi, these are not varified facts, mate. You have shown me a letter alleged to be from Geedi, whose e-mail address is
and whose formal address is Sarit Centre [big Grin] . What a combination. The letter's authenticity is not beyond doubt and the link you have provided is to Range Resources' website, thus one-sided.

So what are you trying to say?

What I am trying to say here is that even the letters of agreement or permission produced as evidence by Range Resources are one-sided. For the so-called ‘facts’ you speak of to become effective in legitimizing Range Resources’ case, they must conform with the Articles of the Charter of the Republic. Such conformity can only be satisfactorily achieved by legal experts who can impartially weigh the rights or permissions given to Range Resources against the Articles of Law. That isn’t happening now and the representatives of the TFG are themselves breaking the law. Cade is doing the same thing.

That said, however, I do not object to the exploration of the land for minerals or other materials. While Cade is legally at fault and is socially insensitive, he is not the only one driven by greed. The elders and the clan militia obstructing the exploration of Majiyahan and Dhallan are also greed-driven, and, considering previous infrastructural projects they have greedily squandered, absolutely ignorant. They are same with Cade or Geedi, if not worse. Whilst using the clan-emblem to rally equally ignorant clan militia, they will cave in the second a penny is promised to them.

My criticism is not limited to them but to all those elders/men who object to developmental projects of which they fail to misappropriate its funds. Their personal agendas have no concern for what these sort of projects mean for the ordinary people, let alone anything else, or benefits to the infrastructure of their localities. In this particular case, Sanaag province does not even have roads linking towns to ports and these elders object to such basic developments. The indirect benefits of projects such as this is immense. And unless these benefits are recognized by those who are truly concerned with the well-fare of all peoples and places, corrupt leaders/elders will trade in the people’s death and poverty.

Our people are so useless and ignorant is beyond belief!

The exploration of Majiyahan and Dhalan is nothing more then a exploration to examine the quantity of possible natural resources and it is nothing but a survey no one is out there to empty all the caves, it will take time to set up the equipment and it needs lot of labourers aswell.

However what is a pity is those guys, who are against the exploration and examination of the important natural resources that is believed to exist in enormous quantity in Majiyahana and Dhalan are the same people who chuck off the trees and other vegetation in order to ship it off as charchoal for other countries to "consume", they're a sell out and beyond ignorant and confused.

This exploration and possible mining would bring a development that would be great for the people of Majiyahan and Dhalan and surrounding areas because labourers would come from the clan and a major regeneration and employment would take place in those areas. The people who are against are useless and totally confused.

I say this to our brothers: "Maakhirow you guys are a major disappointment, and from your thoughtless actions one can see, why you have been so confused since the downfall of the former regime."

You can take it as an insult or something else but I've to speak my mind and what I think and believe. I now understand why Adde was so disappointed with you guys.

Now put yourself together and act in a responsible way to cool down the situation. I am not saying that Adde himself is without mistake but you have to recognise that yourself aren't faultless.

I hope the conflict will be resolved soon inshallaah and that peacefully and may the people who lost their life in this nonesense conflict will be forgiven. Amiin.

Otherwise expect no mercy from the government because they will deal with those rag-tag militias, who don't take orders from no-where and the administration will deal with them appriopriately because no-one is bigger than the state or law for that matter and the exploration will go on inshallaah godwillingly!

Xargaga   

because labourers would come from the clan and a major regeneration and employment would take place in those areas. The people who are against are useless and totally confused.

:D:D very funny wallhi this clearly shows the set of somali clan perception of one being a dealer and ruler while other being a laborer is this is this neoclanistic capitalism or just a boastrous gesture?

Thankful   

very funny wallhi this clearly shows the set of somali clan perception of one being a dealer and ruler while other being a laborer is this is this neoclanistic capitalism

That's how every society works buddy!! As sad as it is, all you have to do is look at U.A.E and other Middle Eastern countries and how poor immigrants from India, Pakistan and so forth built that place and are given next to nothing. American society was built on slavery and is being sustained by cheap labor as we speak, from immigrants, just like Romans did.

I love when people on this site use violence, corruption, tribalism etc; and then try and claim it as solely a Somali problem.

Is all this right? Heck no! But sadly that is how things are in the world.

BoiBoi   

Paragon,

However we look at this problem, I do agree that a greater social collaboration must be undertaken by both the government and the local people.

Such actions should involve the adoption PSA agreements between the Local people /Government (Somalia & Puntland) / and the companies involved in the exploitation of the resources.

The sharing of these resources should predominantly be utilised to increase social prosperity for the people of Somalia/puntland to allow us to retain and strengthen our language and culture, without compromising our way of life.

From what I can see, Range Resources is NOT a mining company, but an exploration company, there is a difference.

Usually a small exploration company comes in and undertakes all the work to prove up a resource. Hence during this stage of development they won't make a single dollar, instead they'll spend millions (takes about 2-3 years). Once the resources are proved a feasibility study will take place (usually takes 1-2 years). As soon as this is completed they'll either make a decision to mine, sell, or simple think its non-economic and hence nothing will happen.

The lag time for this project could be 3-5 years even before a dollar is made. This allows plenty of time to debate the issue, but the problem at hand is the lag time. The longer the exploration is delayed the longer it will take to commence mining.

So what do we do? Sit on our hands and wait for the rains to come?

I think its time do away with the rattle can, and make Somalia great, by allowing us to move to the next stage of self-determination.

Xudeedi   

Shihaabudiin, Were you unaware of the interviews and documents that have been posted in this forum since the first day of the conflict.

We are cognizant of the explorations so as many others in the past and the attempt to do it now with force. I personally know few persons from Sanaag who used to trade of these minerals Tin and copper after the collapse of the central government. The area has been surveyed by the English first, Italians and then It was Bulgaria that finally discovered and embarked on the business program to trade the minerals on behalf of the government with share agreements.

The problem with some of you who post in this site is that they aren't that sophisticated to engage in a gentlemanly discussion and come up with irrefutable evidence of where things are. They are driven by clan loyalty as an instrument of policy for the advancement of what their unthinking warlords do to the detriment of what have been achieved.

There is no government other than being a clan rule that is mired in clan warfare and adminstrative disarrays.

Let us see what your tribal militias can do knowing they could muster all the resources and manpower. The conflict has been a sporadic one so far and it hasn't turned into a full scale warfare.

Xudeedi   

Originally posted by Paragon:

My criticism is not limited to them but to all those elders/men who object to developmental projects of which they fail to misappropriate its funds. Their personal agendas have no concern for what these sort of projects mean for the ordinary people, let alone anything else, or benefits to the infrastructure of their localities.

developmental projects? Do you really think this is a developmental project? Give me more detail.

of which they fail to misappropriate its funds.

Are you saying they should embezzle the funds? Or you meant it they have failed to appropriate its funds for public services. If so, what funds are you talking about?

I will be able to answer all of your questions on Monday.

art   

I find it most interesting that most (all) of the negative press regarding RangeResources is on Garowe.com and little is mentioned in other media outlets. Furthermore, Garowe's homepage has a big link to Farole's 5 year plan for Puntland. We are all aware that Farloes supporters were all involved in the shooting last month, and Farole was strongly opposed to Ranges' deal and he was ousted after the gun battle.

Is it plausible to suggest that the negative press in Garowe has something to do with Farole?