Sign in to follow this  
macalimuu

Somali Intellectualls should lead the way

I will say the so called intellectual have no place in Somali politics..and Prolly you are wondering why I would say that....simple

they have excluded themselves from the course of politics in Somalia and I haven't seen intellectuals being organised and engaging the somali politics and peace process.... have U seen any sort of organisation for Somali intellectuals working tirelessly towards somali peace? have u seen any intellectuals who have come under one umbrella for somali peace? have u seen any intellectuals from different tribes who forgiven/forgotten and became a sympol that Somalis regardless of their tribe can unite and achieve anything??

All I have witnessed was some so called intellectuals who think that they wont achieve anything witout their tribes so they submitted to the will of the uneducated, vicous warlords??? or may be create a meaningless non engagin organisation.

Sxb..Forget the somali intellectual...The concept and the notion of somali intellectual saving Somalia is dead!!!... They allowed illiterate warlords to play with Somali dignity and lives...

Allah Bless Somalia... the Land of the Brain Dead society

Salaamaat

Haddad   

Originally posted by xaaji_18:

what is INTELLECTUAL and who is considered one?

There are two interpretations for "INTELLECTUAL" (Somali intellectual). The first is, a person educated in the West, with a Western ideology, who emulates Western people & lifestyle, and believes the West's superiority in technology denotes civilization, humaneness, progress and etc. The other interpretation (mine) is, a person educated in Islam, with an Islamic ideology, who's assertive and independent from emulating Western people & lifestyle, and believes Western technology has little to do with civilization, humaneness, progress and etc.

^^ like your interpretation, if the word intellectual can be ascribe to anyone, then it would be our messenger(salalahu Alayhi wa salam), and anyone who follows his guidance and acts upon his guidance is in my view intellectual!

Somalia is an ill-fated nation that is in denial due to failed leadership. Somalia is a country that has been poorly led throughout its whole pitiable history. It is a nation in which good leadership has been notably missing; a country in which good leaders have been far too few with the exception of Aden Cadde and Abdullahi Isse. I know some may decipher this into clan predisposition but I have yet to witness any one comparable to their eminence and stature. maybe the two smatar borthers could become good candidates if we let them and if they choose to leave their comfortbale well paying academic careers.

The overwhelming majority of the pretenders and opinionated clan nomadic dinosaurs such as the currently crowned colonel and the previous dictator who have led our nation have pursued a personal, nepotistic and authoritarian style of governance with the only intention of bleeding the meager Somali economy for personal gain. We have run the gamut from by all accounts of benevolent dictator to now an old autocratic blood thirsty one-man imperative. We are now witnessing a parade of one poor leader after another throughout our lives. Somali warlords and clan leaders are incapable to achieve anything visionary. They have failed us in the past and made us all suffer and we should not fool ourselves for expecting anything from them.

The enormous catastrophe of our national leadership have been due in part to us Somalis embracing the primitive clannish thought of our nomadic elders. They have implemented and brought into the government their antiquated policies of nomadism. Now, we have the illiterate warlords in a parliament who are good at policies of exclusion, extortion, distortion and confusion. The new warlord president had plotted for years and outmaneuvered others in a despicable manner unto the national scene and thus achieved his ultimate goal of becoming a tribal president and we all know this was due to the unwillingness of Somalis to get rid of themselves of the warlords and embark on a new revolution to dissociate themselves of the ineffective futile concept of tribalism.

We have all come to the realization that we have endured failed leaderships far too long. We are all now yearning for a new broad-based leadership that will practice democratic governance, in which leadership transcends transparency, participation, responsiveness, accountability and the rule of law. We should all demand a leadership that will ensure our basic human rights, human dignity and will respect our freedom. We must be consulted with and have a say in nations policies and we must hold these warlords accountable for their crimes. We must all work for inclusive clan-free and fair institutions. We must choose educated Somalis to positions of leaderships and we must make sure that they are free from discrimination based on clan affiliation, gender or any other aspect; and that economic and social policies are responsive to the needs and aspirations of Somali people. We must embark on new revolution that will eradicate poverty and diseases.

Matkey   

Macallimuu says:

"The enormous catastrophe of our national leadership have been due in part to us Somalis embracing the primitive clannish thought of our nomadic elders. They have implemented and brought into the government their antiquated policies of nomadism. Now, we have the illiterate warlords in a parliament who are good at policies of exclusion, extortion, distortion and confusion"

I concur with you on that. However, I am inclined to believe that bad leadership is mere factor. Rather, the problme are mostly attributed to the people who are loyal to these so-called "leaders". The Leaders are the manifestation of the society they preside over. Hence, our impediments stemmed from our lack of substantive element that unites us together as a society which is capable of creating workable system. To put it differently problem lies by and large in nomadic mindset, which, as you said, appropriate violent behaviour as a form of solving political dispute. I must say that you are the first one who acknowledges otherwise what most people here fail to give a grater emphasis. Since I joined this forum, I have noticed that almost everyone places blames on lack of Leadership and warlords for our prolonged crisis while they support their respective leader (warlords). Alas, despite of that, they remain loyal to their so-called leaders. Then, should we hold responible the warlords or the people who blindly adhere to the clan politics?

Bakar   

Macalimuu

I every much agree the points u have raised... even the last poster stressed on the same issued. u guys have said the piont i was trying to make.

I do consent that we are complacent here of bringing into being appalling leaders and we, in spite of everything, do prop up these criminals into positions of leadership. We obviously go well with policies of tribalism. Consequently, I presume that is what we ought to have.

That is depressing reality but how long it will be tolerable to basically go with this pessimistic and defeatist design?