Illyria

Proposed constitutional amendments - redrafting the Fed. constitution

Illyria   
11 hours ago, galbeedi said:

HSM government is dominated by people with Islamic movement backgrounds  including premier Hamza and minister Ahmed Faqi, and I don't think they will be  pushing abortion and these other socially liberal issues like the western countries.

If you could read the parts about

• Sharica being replaced with Xeer, customs, traditions, and Federal laws,
  • Abortion left to the medical professionals most of whom are liberal, do not practise Islam, and are open to the practice similar to the West,
  • The dilution of the sanctity of marriage where civil partnership is on the menu.

17 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Dal bilaa dastuur ah miyaa lagu jirayaa until 2026?

If you could be so obliging as to try it again!

---------------------------

Could you cite ONE THING the current government could NOT do, and is prevented from doing, because of the Constitution in its current form?

Postscript:

Let me remind you, the Federal government powers are:

Article 54, Allocation of Powers, Federal Government Powers:
(a) Foreign Affairs:

• Why not form a coherent Diplomacy and proficient diplomatic Corps instead of HSM in his one-man-shit-show with his kids still in diapers as his core advisers on all matters foreign?

(b) National Defense:

• What is preventing it from forming a cohesive National policy with FMSs at its heart? What came of the war campaign HSM started a few months ago? How are Galcad & Xarardheere faring today?

(c) Monetary Policy:

• What is preventing from instituting Currency instead of US Dollar in circulation as if a colony?

(d) Citizenship & Immigration: Same applies here.

First

This is not amendment or changes but completely NEW constitution.

Anyways, do Somalia need changes, amendments Yes, but this process is screw up and this is not right one. These parliamentarians, don't have the legitimacy to represent us? Did we forget how they were selected? plus you can see from their faces, the incompetence, they have no idea!

You see before you embark on changing constitution, you will need experts , constitutional lawyers, time, not rushed. Kenya took 2 years to rewrite their constitutions, Many Arab countries, during their early stage, had to opt  and rely on other Arab experts to write the constitution.

And HSM must be not entangled in the process, Somalis are very smart and will pickup and scrupulous moves , miles away.

I have been rechecking the whole Somalia saga, what happened in last 30 years, there is fundamental peace  and nation building, that is  missing, that is why it is harder to build or move forward, why, what do other nations did?  I clearly remember when there were many other African countries ,in very similar situation, BUT they took OFF!

Sierra Leone, Liberia, Rwadna, Burundi, Angola, South Sudan, Ethiopia, all had civil wars but were able  to return back to  back, why not Somalia

We have not addressed something very fundamental, I think reconciliation is very necessary, trust building

We are missing the key! It is not about unitary sate, federalism, regionalism, or tribalism, Something else!

HSM has been flying around over 60+ , MMA has the data, why, what is  his addiction to flying? why fly to a country where director is needed?  what has he achieved? who thought he would be different and learned from his past mistakes? just to think about it, last two years, he flew more than 9 years Civilian gov, plus  21 years Siyad Barre?

Don't touch constitution, till you have free, expert, independent team

Illyria   

That is a critical factor you underscored, yet there are multitude of other underlying factors to consider from scarcity of immediately exploitable resources, dire deficiency in human capital to geopolitics to socio-economic to egalitarian nature of the nomadic lifestyle just to name a few. I am of the view the Somali peninsula has hit the rock bottom harder than any with the only direction from here onwards being upwards, and have greater hopes in the years to come.

One more thing to note when we discuss other nations, we only look at the facade, as we are not acquainted with its intimacies as a native would. I have seen Africans visit Xamar for a day or two talking about it as if it is one of the best cities in Africa. Again facade.

Illyria   

Article 2: State & religion:
    In section (1) of the original constitution, it stated "Islam is the religion of the government" meaning government institutions, and by extension its laws, which has since been changed to "Islam is the religion of the country", meaning the people. Like many of the other diluted and modified Articles and sections indicate, this is backdoor entry point for secularism.

HSM has an agenda.  Quite frankly he obsessed imitating the Turkish presidential style of government.  He's trying to force this and stay there as long as he can as a dictator.  I'm not sure it's going to work in Somalia.  

Dude is neither bright nor a patriot.  

Illyria   

I would have said you were being harsh questioning his patriotism, but then I saw this clip recently, where he is equating Somalis in DDS and NFD with those in the diaspora, technically teaching kids in mainland Somalia that Somalis in occupied Somali territories are similar to refugees settled in the diaspora in foreign lands, in other words those territories are not ours.

44 minutes ago, Illyria said:

I would have said you were being harsh questioning his patriotism, but then I saw this clip recently, where he is equating Somalis in DDS and NFD with those in the diaspora, technically teaching kids in mainland Somalia that Somalis in occupied Somali territories are similar to refugees settled in the diaspora in foreign lands, in other words those territories are not ours.

Xasan Socdaal waala wada ogyahay qolo gaar ah ayuu necebyahay, mainly because he thinks they might interfere his dreamy grand ambitions. He also thinks qolodaas bas inay degaan Soomaali Galbeed iyo NFD, which is incorrect. Deep down, he really doesn't care dalka la sii kala gooy gooyo. Wants to be a big fish in a small tank. Saas u maangaabanyahay.

At 72 years old, he thinks he can be another Carab strongman under the advice of Imaaraadka amd Masar. The very first few months of his second selection, it was revealed he wants Soomaaliya to be a government led by a strongman.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Illyria said:

well the era of Somaliweyn under one group or goverment that ship has sailed. The only way there can ever be a Somaliweyn or  union of Somali republics is if there is equality and justice for all 5 equal not one above the other not one better then the other equality is the only way. The closest Somalis ever got or agreed on one thing was that at point the blue white star flag was a sort of ethnic Somali flag. Even that narrative has died in parts of the Somali peninsula in particular in Somaliland. Though some in Jabuuti might still subscibe to it. Now as for the NFD region kenyas north eastern  and Somali kilil  region this is even more complex the region is so divided after Abdi Ileey, though abtigiis has created some sort of harmony between the various communities and clans there.  And as he stepped in in the whole sitte war with affar that has shown some sort of Solidarity between the 2 major clan groups in that region. How ever we still not there. Now the way it is precieved i am not sure how the Somalia government in the bunker now views these region what their so called constitution says  about those regions .  Though since Abiye Ahmed and Muse biixi signed the MOU hassan sheikh has been calling the border between Ethiopia and Somalia xuduuud beenaaad , something he never uttered before. So not sure maybe he is trying to find another angle there  because he is now cornered by Abiye and Muse on one side he him self on the other side of of the equation.

The only way for Somaliweyn ever to materialise and i will say it again have said it before is in a sort of a union they feel happy in the french the belgium the dutch the germans fought a brutal civil war but they understood that together they can be  stronger which is fine Militarily Economically Financially Socially Geographically . Despite them killing each other butchering each other. If this was to happen and there could be a sort of union between Somalis. It has to be based on trust i am talking about not in our life time ofcourse but maybe in our grand childeren life time .it can be achieved. The Somali state Somalia and Somaliland existed for 30 years. They have been totally separated in over another 33 years and counting the Union that they enjoyed can be broken down in two two era the first part 1960 untill 1969 the  honeymoon which was very good dawladi rayidka. Then came afweyne  1969 until 1979 those first years were about all right. After 1979 until 1991  The people of Somaliland were in war with the goverment of Somalia  so of the 30 years  The Somali republic existed only  19 years were about oke.  the other 11 years there was a war. So this doesnt end well most likely . For Somalis to find a way for the future and to think for the Future. They need to cooperate on equality justice and respect equal respect for each other as Sovreign states not one side claiming to be superior or being an integral part of  the other  this doesnt work and cant work. And we have seen that it cant work. In order for a union to come ,first we need to take a few steps back the European union didnt came just because Germany or France or Britain tried to enforce the others to be under the other  First yes The great German Reich was defeated but equally they saw that Germany first had to exist as Sovreignt equal nation and that east and west must unite be as one in order for the rest of the European countries to flourish. The sam way Djibouti Somalia and Somaliland can agree to live side by side  and then talk about maxa ina mdiideye maxa isku diidayna can we create one currency maybe yes freedom of movement why not.  Can we create a common parliament maxa diidaya hadanu is xaqdhoowrnay. can we create a joint  Military union why not  inago marka is xilqaamayna oo jaar ah oo walaalo ah oo is  ogol oo is ximinayn oo is xumayneyn we can fight for  Somali galbeed to be free from Ethiopia NFD TO BE  free from Kenya they themselves to become Separate countries and then join the bigger family of cooperation i would have suggested maybe we can call it The UNION OF Somali Republics.   U S R . no real borders maybe some political borders to manage it we can even create one passport hada la isla qaato,the sky is the limit how ever first thing first we need breathing space if fahan is ixtram is qadarin is ogalaansho mutual respect side by side no xad gudub no xumaan. One can only dream but we shall see if our grand childeren can do better indeed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Illyria   
3 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Xasan Socdaal waala wada ogyahay qolo gaar ah ayuu necebyahay, mainly because he thinks they might interfere his dreamy grand ambitions. He also thinks qolodaas bas inay degaan Soomaali Galbeed iyo NFD, which is incorrect. Deep down, he really doesn't care dalka la sii kala gooy gooyo. Wants to be a big fish in a small tank. Saas u maangaabanyahay.

Trully unfortunate, if sad.

1 hour ago, Xaaji Xunjuf said:

well the era of Somaliweyn under one group or goverment that ship has sailed. The only way there can ever be a Somaliweyn or  union of Somali republics is if there is equality and justice for all 5 equal not one above the other not one better then the other equality is the only way. The closest Somalis ever got or agreed on one thing was that at point the blue white star flag was a sort of ethnic Somali flag. Even that narrative has died in parts of the Somali peninsula in particular in Somaliland. Though some in Jabuuti might still subscibe to it. Now as for the NFD region kenyas north eastern  and Somali kilil  region this is even more complex the region is so divided after Abdi Ileey, though abtigiis has created some sort of harmony between the various communities and clans there.  And as he stepped in in the whole sitte war with affar that has shown some sort of Solidarity between the 2 major clan groups in that region. How ever we still not there.

I must applaud you for once in your life thinking like a true nomad, a son of Somali . Well done, mate.

1 hour ago, Xaaji Xunjuf said:

The only way for Somaliweyn ever to materialise and i will say it again have said it before is in a sort of a union they feel happy in the french the belgium the dutch the germans fought a brutal civil war but they understood that together they can be  stronger which is fine Militarily Economically Financially Socially Geographically.

[...]

The sam way Djibouti Somalia and Somaliland can agree to live side by side  and then talk about maxa ina mdiideye maxa isku diidayna can we create one currency maybe yes freedom of movement why not.  Can we create a common parliament maxa diidaya hadanu is xaqdhoowrnay. can we create a joint  Military union why not  inago marka is xilqaamayna oo jaar ah oo walaalo ah oo is  ogol oo is ximinayn oo is xumayneyn we can fight for  Somali galbeed to be free from Ethiopia NFD TO BE  free from Kenya they themselves to become Separate countries and then join the bigger family of cooperation i would have suggested maybe we can call it The UNION OF Somali Republics.   U S R . no real borders maybe some political borders to manage it we can even create one passport hada la isla qaato,the sky is the limit how ever first thing first we need breathing space if fahan is ixtram is qadarin is ogalaansho mutual respect side by side no xad gudub no xumaan. One can only dream but we shall see if our grand childeren can do better indeed

Just do me a small, tiny favour, please, could we just not ever mention colonial legacy? Not in name, nor in passing! And instead focus upon the Somali peninsula, and whatever political configuration or set-up is agreed upon, be it UAE style, German, US, UK, German etc, so be it.

I personally prefer Ardu Somal / Dhul Somali (yeed). Pure and simple, Somali affairs ALONE!

• Like 1

Illyria   

a) The principle of shared sovereignty, at the Federal, State, and district levels, had been scrubbed where now almost all powers and decision making rest with, and lies within the Federal government institutions, where the principle of Federalism ONLY exists in name.

b) The principle of check and balance had been scrubbed:

• In the Executive, it was originally designed where powers and responsibilities for the Presidency and Premier are shared and split to introduce a requisite parity, where a leader could not overstep, or abuse Powers of the Office, but under the newly proposed:
  • The entire power rests in the Presidency with no oversight.
  • In the Legislature, the Senate ( the Upper Chamber - majlis al shuyukh) was intended as an oversight body, a safety net for the House of Representative in ratifying laws prior to their being passed, or becoming law. As recently transpired, the two have been collapsed as one with there being zero oversight. Under the current format, in principle, the function of the Senate is reduced to a name only.
  • The Judiciary, originally designed to oversee the other two branches of government, is yet to be formed.

c) Under the monstrous National Security doctrine, backported from the dark military days, allows State security apparatus and agencies of the day to imprison citizens without legal representation, nor process, and with the Miranda rights now scrubbed, one could languish in prison for years, no questions asked.

Illyria   

Statement by Special Representative of the Secretary-General Catriona Laing to the Security Council on the situation in Somalia

Political developments

Madam President, I will begin with an update on political developments.

The National Consultative Council (NCC) proposals of 27 May on the proposed new electoral model continue to be debated intensely. On the positive side, there is broad public support for the transition to One-Person, One-Vote (OPOV) elections, but there is also a realisation that the timelines proposed by the NCC are too ambitious. The UN is working with the Ministry of Interior Federal Affairs and Reconciliation to develop a realistic plan which will ensure the momentum towards OPOV is maintained.

We welcome the recent approval by Parliament of the procedural rules for constitutional changes. This sets a clear pathway on process. It is now urgent to reach an inclusive consensus on the electoral framework. On the constitution, we encourage all parties to engage in the spirit of compromise to finalise the process. Without an agreed constitution, Somalia remains vulnerable to perennial crises with no agreed rules of the game to enable resolution.

I commend the people of the Federal Member State of Puntland on the peaceful conclusion of the electoral process on 8 January 2024. President Said Abdullahi Deni – the sixth President of Puntland – was re-elected by the Puntland State Assembly to a second term in office. The presence of President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud and three Federal Member State Presidents at the inauguration on 25 January was a positive signal. We hope this has created the foundation for a reset of dialogue with full re-engagement of President Deni in the NCC process. The planned Garowe conference on the future of Somalia could be an important part of this reset, with the opportunity for wider consultation with key stakeholders, including women and youth.

In Laascaanood and the Sool region, the situation has remained calm since the violence of November 2023. There is, however, no formal ceasefire. We continue to urge all parties to work towards an immediate exchange of detainees, a commitment to no further violence and to start dialogue to address the underlying drivers of the conflict. We continue to provide humanitarian assistance to those affected and to support the de-mining and early recovery.

UNSOM.UNMISSIONS.ORG

(As delivered, New York, 19 February 2024) Madam President, Distinguished Members of the Security Council, I welcome this...

Illyria   

Was Farmaajo any good when he was in Villa Xamar? I must admit I was paying no attention to Somali politics during her term. I keep hearing about N&N, what is that?

Arafaat   
28 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Was Farmaajo any good when he was in Villa Xamar? I must admit I was paying no attention to Somali politics during her term. I keep hearing about N&N, what is that?

Farmaajo’s political grade's

Foreign affairs/int standing +++                      
Inclusive politics ++                                              
Security architecture +

State building and inst strengthening +

collaboration federal institutions (read FMS) - - -reconciliation and peace building - -          
Constitutional and Institutional reform -

Corruption and nepotism - 

• Like 1

Illyria   
41 minutes ago, Arafaat said:

Farmaajo’s political grade's

Foreign affairs/int standing +++                      
Inclusive politics ++                                              
Security architecture +

State building and inst strengthening +

collaboration federal institutions (read FMS) - - -reconciliation and peace building - -          
Constitutional and Institutional reform -

Corruption and nepotism - 

Not so bad then, all things considered. On that same scale, how do you rate HSM?