Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Recognition of Somaliland's Independence is overdue ...says Prof. Lewis

Baashi   

Another good Professor, a foreigner, doing the bidding for the secessionist. Note the classic use of the word "protection" to disguise the colonialism. Don't forget he is a well known Orientalist.

---------------------------------------------

As the Kenyan Somali ‘Peace' Conference falls apart in confusion, Recognition of Somaliland's Independence is overdue

By I.M. Lewis FBA

Emeritus Professor of Anthropology

London School of Economics

From colonial partition to post-colonial revolution

‘ Somaliland ' came into being as a British Protectorate in the late 19 th century, as treaties of ‘protection' were signed with the local Somali clans.

Britain had, at this time, two primary objectives in the Horn: first to safeguard the supply of Somali mutton for its recently established garrison at Aden , and secondly in the European scramble for control of this region, following the Egyptian withdrawal, to keep the French out!

With claims of the untold riches of the region, the famous English explorer Richard Burton had long tried to persuade his government to establish a proper colony in Somaliland . But HMG did not share Burton 's optimistic enthusiasm for this project. Indeed, British reluctance from the outset bred a tradition of colonial parsimony and neglect that dominated British policy virtually throughout Somaliland 's existence. The saving grace was the integrity and energy of many of the expatriate British officials, who later came to serve there. Read on...

A clear breakaway from his usual line of thinking, and use of language by the good professor here. Wonder what might have influenced his newly-found paradigm. Nice reading though, Cheers.

LANDER   

A clear breakaway from his usual line of thinking, and use of language by the good professor here. Wonder what might have influenced his newly-found paradigm. Nice reading though, Cheers.

Curious. Just what was the profs usual line of thinking?

Originally posted by Baashi:

Another good Professor, a foreigner, doing the bidding for the secessionist. Note the classic use of the word "protection" to disguise the colonialism. Don't forget he is a well known Orientalist.

Last I checked Somaliland was a british protectorat and not a full pledged colony. I know you would like to rewrite history but stick with the facts if your trying to make a point. I thought Samurai/jack with the pride he takes in his darwiish history would be a little offended at that, since it was his ancestors that fought to keep the "protectorat" status and nothing more.

Baashi   

Lander,

I don’t wanna get into this “protectorate” thing as that is how the colonizers justify the imposition of the external force in the societies they want to exploit. If you want to swallow that you might also want to buy that America is “liberator” and Palestinians are “terrorist”.

There is something you ought to pay attention to in the professor Lewis' piece and that is before the Britain’s arrival, Somalis consisted loosely affiliated tribal communities with no formal authority. Somaliland was just a political creation intended to expedite British interest in Asia. In any event, today the residents of that corner of Somalia particularly the resident in anti-secessionist regions are not obligated, in any way or form, to observe the defunct colonial borders. Why? Because they are free to determine their future and Britain is not here to object their wishes. Walaal that is the crux of the matter.

Lander – Brother I could not care less which term is being used - implied or expressed in the matter. We, Somalis fought hard, and honourably so rid the colonialists, it be Brits, Italians out of our territories in the 60s with the French in the 70s. And some are to this date still struggling its legacy in other parts of the region. And I do wear the Dervish emblem on my neck to this date, just to demonstrate how content of a Somali, its history past or present, good or bad, I am.

934-400x500.jpg

935-400x500.jpg

As for the good professor and his usual self, perhaps you wish to read his past works.

By the way Lander – do you by any chance converse in Somali?

Samurai Warrior

can you tell me where we can find those statues again?? gone are they?? i wonder why? maybe they are not NATIONAL MONUMENTS ???? and another thing, who said the Sayid was fighting to liberate Greater Somalia? Some one fighting for Greater Somalia would not sign a treaty with the Italians so he could get access to the port in hobyo. I wonder what two infedels who are both subjugating my people are of any different??

LANDER   

Samurai,

where can I find more works by the professor?

By the way, af somaaliga waan ku hadlaa lakiinse qoritaankaygu ma ficnaa. Since most people talk in english in this forum anyway I opt not to massacre the written somali language and write in a language that I can at least write with mediocracy.

Baashi,

you are right in the sens that this entire colonial history and how it plays into present geo-political realities, is a long subject I do not want to elaborate on at the time. Maybe another time.

Baashi   

Originally posted by LANDER:

Baashi,

you are right in the sens that this entire colonial history and how it plays into present geo-political realities, is a long subject I do not want to elaborate on at the time. Maybe another time.

That will do! Stay away then from this cuz this old colonial officer is on just that subject: history and geopolitics.

For starters geopolitics is combination of geographic and political factors relating to or influencing a nation or region.

Gabbal   

Recognition of Somaliland's Independence is overdue...

Just that fact alone just goes to show you that there is no such recognition coming. Its obvious that the interest of the international community lie with a united, and territorially intact Somali Republic.

x_quizit   

Ok...i admit, im an amateur in somali politics, but this is a bit of clarity i got from my mom. Feel free to correct me, and let's engage in a civilized debated. thxs!

Somaliland, to my understanding, got its independence 4 days b4 the rest of somalia.Both parts of somalia struggled valiantly to rid itself of its colonizers, and when somaliland got its freedom from the british, they were advised to remain its own separate country, but as a gesture of brotherhood and a willingness to hold hands with the rest of somalia, somaliland declined to be its own separate country and decided to unite with the rest of somalia, as one unified strong entity.

For a while, peace reigned, but soon, qabilism's ugly head reared, and soon, each ruling clan only did the best for theirs. Come siad barre time, he had an all out war against a certain clan and refused to put any money into hargeisa, and the country continued to be divided in clan lines, each not trusting the rest. Civil war erupted, and the ruling southern govt bombarded homes and decimated families, all b4 hand to hand combat was to ensue, not a fair fight at all. After the topple of the dictator, the north strives to regain its borders, known as somaliland, and the rest of somalia doesn't want to agree with the separation b/c they believe that it will only weaken them as a whole.

I believe that somalia has a whole won't be truly democratic, when the system that seems to exist is that whoever's clan is the majority rules.

So i gave u that brief lil background and history to explain my stance on the separation issue.Personally, im all for the separation, because the north has been through alot, and being that it has started as its own separate mini nation, why not allow it to become it once again, it is their right, and the south can form its own somalia, and to each his own, but live under the banner of brotherhood, living peacefully as 2 states, coming together under the banner of islam and culture.

(sorry if it seems biased, just my opinion as an outsider)

Peace

Just that fact alone just goes to show you that there is no such recognition coming. Its obvious that the interest of the international community lie with a united, and territorially intact Somali Republic.

Lander - Follow the link I M Lewis - there're about five articles of his posted. Good to know that you could converse in Somali – there is this hypothesis with which I had been observing for quite a while now concerning the upbringing of the proponents in the pro-secessionist camp – thus far, albeit incomplete, it is right on the money. Do not be modest, you do write well in both lingoes - French as I understand is your first lingo, technically speaking, correct? Cheers.

LANDER   

Samurai,

thanks for the link. Exactly what is the hypothesis you refer to on the upbringing of young Somalilanders? By the way, Somali is my first language, french my second and english my third. That is the order in which I learned the languages.

lates

Kowneyn   

Baashi:

I agree with you regarding the dubious nature of these terms, unfortunately the lip service being paid to Somaliweyn and unity is no different and probably more destructive.

As for the regions u called anti-secessionist, Somalis say oodi ab ka dhaw...I respect their wishes and support their right to determine their future free from the coercion and manipulation of hargeysa and garowe/bosaso.

Kowneyn

Baashi   

Kowneyn,

From what I gather, what you have an issue with is the "lip service" paid to the Somaliweyn and perhaps the insincerity coming from some proponents of Somaliweyn but not in itself. Good.

Do I hear you right? after all you do respect the wishes of residents there and their right to determine their future. Excellent.