Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Supermodel Waris Dirie's Uphill Task

Gediid   

X-Quizit

You n I are both on the same page but I think on two different chapters smile.gif

I voiced my opinion on the rationale of presenting an essay on FGM in N America but if this was lets say in Somalia then I would be 100% in support.

x_quizit   

Ok Gedid, ur off the hook, but one more question b4 u run for cover? Don't u think ppl in America are composed of more than just europeans? ie-immigrants from asia, africa, etc...therefore won't raising the issue of FGM be relevant? if not, tell me why not...

Peace

x_quizit   

Gedid, no u didn't, lol...i just wanted to ask u, since u said its better to start at home, have u done anything back home or with ur fellow mates that can help young ladies avoid FGM? if not, why stand in the way of those that want to make changes here and raise awareness...

in any case, ur right, im on the last chapter, and ur still in the middle, hopefully u'll catch up... :D

Gediid   

Honestly no but I support those who do am I not standing in the way of those who want to make real changes.

I know you are on the last chapter but you seem to have skipped a few in the process icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

do any of you understand or grasp at the idea that MOST people taking part in this practise (countries like pakistan, parts of north africa and arabia) rationalize it by claiming it to be a part of islam? yes its a sensitive issue, its an ugly part of our culture, but whats uglier is that we sweep in under the rug and have young girls go through this ABSOLUTELY UGLY practise cause we dont want people to look down on us. what is it pride? well look at iblis. somalis need to check their pride, be humble enough to recognize and rectify our flaws. its not something pleasant to talk about, thats what offends you? lets ask what the girl who has to go through this what she finds offensive. meanwhile, people (actual muslims) are still claiming its a part of our deen. now THAT should offend YOU.

edit after reading geidiids above response.

yeah, i think its better if we adress the problem of FGM as well as other harmful practises to our people (muslims) first. Its funny isnt it, how little we contribute to one another, but when a kuffar does it for us we get offended instead of feeling ashamed for not doing anything in the first place.

NinBrown   

This topic is very important and vital for discussion in the Somalia community. As a resident in Obs&Gynae I see a lot of Somali gilrs/women in Labour ward or clinics and their experience of FGM...and you will see how horrible this practice is....

..but there is a problem....normal/decent ppl cant talk about FGM because it has been hijacked by Waris and her gang, so it puts doctors and other elders in a difficult situation.

....finally is only women who advocate and drive the practise of FGM is Somalia..because I have recently been there and the men are indefferent or have no opnion..but women tended to have stroger opnions for or against FGM..and those for FGM were greater.

^^ I knew you were studyin medicine, but why the obstetrics and gyneacology department? :eek: . I'd have every hair on ma body standing on edge if I saw a Somali man there... :eek: :eek:

Article says: "Dirie's sister and two cousins died of complications arising from circumcision."

And yet, people here are calling her a heifer, for fighting against a disease that thrives in our cultures. I'm sorry, but if you aren't out there fighting the good fight, then don't get on here calling other people heifers because they are doing something you should've been.