Sign in to follow this  
Armstrong

Who is the greatest sports personality ever ?

Salaamu Alaikum,

For me has to be Muhammad Ali took boxing a boring sport where men bash each other to a political level and made in an art form. I liked his self-confidence and his eagerness to seek the truth and not merely accept the status quo. The interview with parkinson in the uk was the best one ever he made parkinson, one of the best interviewers look like an amateur.

Take it away akhiyaarta.

W/Salaam,

Mujahid over and out !

-------------

"Cassius Clay is a slave name, My name is Muhammed Ali."

If it wasn't for Jackie where would Mohamed Ali be today, probably no where, smile.gif . No doubt Jackie has paved the way for Ali, Jordan, Woods. Ali is great but Jackie is the greatest.

This is a quote from the article in the above link. It reiterates my point.

Many of today's athletes say they have heard of Robinson, but admit they don't know anything about him. Others admit they've never even heard of him -- but they would do well to learn, because if it wasn't for Robinson, we wouldn't have ever heard of them.

Sure jackie robinson, hank aaron and lots of african-american had a racial problem just to play the game, but if those Old-time players were playing today's players they would've been average players not great players....

Aplus,

In that case and using your unsubstantiated measurement one can also say that Ali would be an average fighter too in today's standards and when compared to other recent boxers.

Keep in mind, to a certain degree, it's not what Ali did in the ring is what kept him famous for so long, certainly what he did outside the ring has a lot to do with his celebrity status. Being very vocal against the US army and refusing to be drafted in an era where the civil rights struggle was at its peak and those always-catchy one-liners is what kept in the minds of fans. lool

Do NOT get me wrong I am knocking on Ali, he is great but Jackie is the greatest. This is just my opinion. :D

Ariadne   

the first african american athletes were pioneers who paved the way for the newer ones but for me mohamed ali is the greatest

Hey MMC: There is exception for ali...He would beat any of today's boxer's in his primetime..

anyway here is my list for the greatest athlets, I am sure ESPN classic won't agree with!

1)Mohamed Ali (the greatest)

2)Michael Jordan

3)Jackie Robinson

4)Jim Thorpe

5)Jim Brown..

I agree with MCC, Jackie Robinson definitely a huge impact on the sport world and opened the gate for other great athletes such as Mohamad Ali.

Personally, I'd vote for Hakeem Alajowon (s/p). I like his humble attitude. Later.