Illyria

Proposed amendments: PL constitution

Illyria   

It is interesting Jimcaale now openly aligning himself with the FGS. A notable slip, which speaks to his thinking, is saying "madaxweynaha waqtigiisu dhamaaday". Quite telling as to his non-dictum. 

And here is the Madasha, the political wing, wanting to remain relevant.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Arafaat   

It makes sense to have a electoral threshold for national political parties to achieve before in order to be entitled to representation in the legislature. The idea is that it prevents fragmentation of political parties, and having dozens of parties with just one seat. Many countries have this threshold Germany(5%), Italy(4%), Sweden(4%), Turkey (7%). 

In the Somaliland context the reason why number of parties have limited to 3 was to prevent fragmentation of having political parties along sub-clans and to force parties to seek broader support among constituencies. The 3 political parties need to get minimum of 20% votes(threshold) in atleast 4 of the 6 regions.

The background of this lies in the 1960s, when dozens of sub-clan parties would emerge creating on local and sub-clan level a very polarised environment. And this is the risk that Puntland faces with the 8 parties, that each party might be become fully associated with a sub-clan and get only votes from single clan constituencies, leading to a fractures political dynamics. 

This could be mitigated, by the 8 parties perhaps eventually forming two political alliances as per example of Kenya, Italy. Not sure how these alliances would be governed and decision making organized, outside of the formal constitution.

But much needs to be thought through and each step needs to be headed by a process of open consultation with all stakeholders, as process and pathways is quite risky.  

• Like 1

Illyria   

I concur much needs to be ironed out, but this I think is a good starting point, yet again the opposition has to brought aboard.

I actually do not subscribe to the 5% threshold, and think if anything 2% is more than conditional enough. The same way I did not agree when UKIP gained 3.8m votes in 2015, and over half a million votes in 2017, but could not get a single seat in the Commons in 2017, and just a seat in 2015.

On the number of political parties, I see no difference between 3 or 5, and if fractions are to be had, so be it. In democracy, nothing is worse than 2 political parties, as is the case in the US, albeit Independents could run, and more the merrier with coalition parties much better, as is the case in most European countries incl. Germany.

I suppose you think the Electoral College in the US is also a good control measure. It might had some value in the 1700s, but I see no value in it today, if anything it is more of a hindrance to direct democracy.

Addendum:

Thus far, the fear of tribal association has been unfounded, as the three leading parties (KAAH, Mideeye, and SinCad) are of the same district (Qardho), yet KAAH is more popular in Sanaag & Mudug whereas Mideeye challenges SinCad in Bari, and KAAH in Mudug.

Postscript:

You may not know this, but the model SL adopted, incl. the 3 political parties, 10 year expiration etc, had been tested in El Salvador, and Nigeria by InterPeace and NDI, organisations, which assist Somalia with their democratisation process. you should glance at Gees's last book (name escapes me), in which he discusses the whats, and hows.

4 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Waxaan in laga heshiiyey moodaaye ee maxee tahay dagaalka dib ugu qarxay hiraabtaan? Reer Garoowe saan ma dhab ah inay u ogaaladaan daneystiyaal magaaladooda burburiyo rabo? Such a shame.

Weligeed baan laga heshiin Karin ,  xitaa hadii doorashada la galo , natiijada  doorashooyinka baa yaguna muran keeni doona.      Puntland system ka doorashooyinka somaliland oo sidiisa ahbay soo qaateen , waa isla system ka sababay in beeshii dalkayaga ugu balaadhnayd buuraha fuusho.   Waa system Ku dhisan isu awood sheegasho siyaasaded.   

Keliya wuxu Ku fiican yahay , waxwalba waa centralised.  Laakiin maalinba reerbaa kugu kacaya.  

Illyria   
20 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Waxaan in laga heshiiyey moodaaye ee maxee tahay dagaalka dib ugu qarxay hiraabtaan? Reer Garoowe saan ma dhab ah inay u ogaaladaan daneystiyaal magaaladooda burburiyo rabo? Such a shame.

This was an incident relating to militias loyal to Jimcaale leaving their station, getting into a car accident in the city, where they were all taken to the local police station. Jimcaale came to bail them out, but the gang leader refused to take orders. Jimcaale disarmed them forcefully, and placed them under arrest. This does not change the fact that armed militias under his command could come into the city.