Xaaji Xunjuf

Gavin Williamson introduces Bill on Somaliland recognition

No foreign power recognises Somaliland’s sovereignty, but it is self-governing with an independent government and democratic elections.

Tory former cabinet minister Sir Gavin Williamson (Aaron Chown/PA) / PA Archive

By 

Martina Bet

3 hours ago

SPONSORED

How London can be a decarbonisation pioneer

T

he lives of millions of people could be transformed overnight if the UK Government recognises Somaliland as an independent nation, Sir Gavin Williamson has said.

The Tory former cabinet minister tabled his Republic of Somaliland (Recognition) Bill on Tuesday, with the aim to challenge the diplomatic inertia that has kept the east African nation unrecognised on the international stage for decades.

Somaliland, a self-declared independent state in the north-western part of Somalia, has been seeking recognition since it broke away from the rest of the country in 1991.

No foreign power recognises Somaliland’s sovereignty, but it is self-governing with an independent government and democratic elections.

With this one small act of recognition, you could literally transform the living standards and prospects of 5.7 million people overnight

Read More

Mhairi Black to step down at election, citing ‘toxic’ Westminster environment

SNP’s Mhairi Black to quit as MP as she slams ‘toxic environment’

Shapps says net zero progress ‘pretty good’ in face of climate advisers’ doubts

SPONSORED

Sips for the summer months

Speaking to the PA news agency about his Bill, Sir Gavin criticised the UK Government’s approach to Somalia and Somaliland, saying: “When I was defence secretary, I had the privilege of visiting Somalia and going to Mogadishu, but I also had the opportunity to visit Hargeisa in Somaliland.

“I saw the distinct contrast between the two.

“You saw the chaos, the insecurity of Somalia, and then going to Somaliland, you saw a country that you could fly in and out, you could get a taxi down into the city centre, you could walk around, you could speak to people, it was very relaxed, it was very normal.

“Yet, we recognised one country that was chaotic, that didn’t have the rule of law and we didn’t recognise a country that had stability, that actually had elections, that had children, whether they were boys or girls, going to school.

“There seemed to be a British Government foreign policy here, and a reality that was very far away from it. It was that reality that really drove me in my belief that quite simply, the British Government was wrong in terms of its approach to the two countries.”

Sir Gavin outlined the potential benefits of recognition, both for Somaliland and the broader international community, telling PA: “With this one small act of recognition, you could literally transform the living standards and prospects of 5.7 million people overnight.

The South Staffordshire MP added: “Also, it’s very important for British security. It is also important for world trade – in terms of its strategic position near the Gulf of Aden.

“It’s important that we encourage countries that espouse the same values as ourselves and not reward countries that don’t.”

Asked why the de facto state nestled in the Horn of Africa has not been recognised by the international community, Sir Gavin pointed to “a paralysis within diplomacy”.

He explained: “It is almost about preserving the status quo without recognising the reality on the ground.

“Britain has historically and still is today both involved in Somaliland and Somalia but is also the UN pen-holder for Somalia and Somaliland.

“And I think it’s our duty and responsibility to actually start having a discussion as to how this paralysis can be dealt with.

“Just pretending it isn’t a problem, just pretending it’s not happening, doesn’t actually make the challenge go away.”

Sir Gavin presented his Bill via the 10-minute rule motion procedure, which allowed him 10 minutes to outline his proposals.

He told MPs: “If the Government is not going to take the action that is required, let it be the British House of Commons that takes the lead, let it be the House of Commons that leads the way.

“If the FCDO is deaf, let us show what the will is for us to recognise what is a nation, a country which has its own processes of judiciary, it has its elections, it has every function of a democratic nation that we want to see.”

The Bill is unlikely to make further progress in its current form due to a lack of parliamentary time to debate Bills tabled by backbench MPs.

Our ministry of foreign affairs spends around 5 million dollar per year to seek recognition  from the west , we should cut this budget and spend to build the capacity of our Dir MPs in xamar.   If we manage to control atleast 25% of Somalia MPs  it means no one can be the president of Somalia without our support.  We should also train some our military units to operate inside somalia in support of our friendly clans , or against the enemies .

The only thing we need from the world is investment. We don't need any formal recognition to exist as long as we have strong military , Investments can be blocked in xamar if we don't  prevent our enemies to have any meaningful power in xamar.   

Arafaat   
1 hour ago, Game changer said:

Our ministry of foreign affairs spends around 5 million dollar per year to seek recognition  from the west , we should cut this budget and spend to build the capacity of our Dir MPs in xamar.   If we manage to control atleast 25% of Somalia MPs  it means no one can be the president of Somalia without our support.  We should also train some our military units to operate inside somalia in support of our friendly clans , or against the enemies .

The only thing we need from the world is investment. We don't need any formal recognition to exist as long as we have strong military , Investments can be blocked in xamar if we don't  prevent our enemies to have any meaningful power in xamar.  

You think SL is ready to play ball? 

Arafaat   

Yes I do  

What gave u that idea, or what have u seen that made u think Somaliland is ready to play?  

Illyria   

This is what is called in parliamentary proceedings 'peeking for relevance'.

These lines are of interest:

'The Bill is unlikely to make further progress in its current form due to a lack of parliamentary time to debate Bills tabled by backbench MPs'.

4 hours ago, Illyria said:

This is what is called in parliamentary proceedings 'peeking for relevance'.

These lines are of interest:

'The Bill is unlikely to make further progress in its current form due to a lack of parliamentary time to debate Bills tabled by backbench MPs'.

How much do secessionists paid? For this stunt

8 hours ago, Arafaat said:

What gave u that idea, or what have u seen that made u think Somaliland is ready to play?  

Personally I always believed  that  we never took advantage of our political or tribal  power beyond the somaliland borders .   I am different from most of other Isqs.   Anigu waxan aaminsanahay geeska Africa waa dunida 4aad ,  waana inaanu u dhaqano hab reality ga waafaqsan,  geeska Africa markad  joogto 3 wax uunbaad u baahan tahay , xoog , dhaqaale iyo Dad/ xulafo. Intaba waxna waa hayna waxna waa heli karna si fudud. Ma jirto sabab aanu gaalo lacag u siino si ay noo amaanan. 

Hadaad Google gasho 99% macluumaadka kuusoo baxaya waa positive , wax iska yimi maahee millions if not billions  baa nooga baxay isu ekaynta dunida 1aad.   Gaaladu waxay Ku maahmaahan " insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again expecting different results"   waxan aaminsanahay in xalkayagu koonfur Ku xidhan yahay, meeshaas na aanu xoog iyo dhaqaaleba Ku bixino inaan nalooka tugtug roonaan shar iyo khayr midna.   Waxayna u badan tahay in somaliland qaadan doonto policy gan.

Arafaat   

Personally I always believed  that  we never took advantage of our political or tribal  power beyond the somaliland borders .   I am different from most of other Isqs.   Anigu waxan aaminsanahay geeska Africa waa dunida 4aad ,  waana inaanu u dhaqano hab reality ga waafaqsan,  geeska Africa markad  joogto 3 wax uunbaad u baahan tahay , xoog , dhaqaale iyo Dad/ xulafo. Intaba waxna waa hayna waxna waa heli karna si fudud. Ma jirto sabab aanu gaalo lacag u siino si ay noo amaanan. 

Hadaad Google gasho 99% macluumaadka kuusoo baxaya waa positive , wax iska yimi maahee millions if not billions  baa nooga baxay isu ekaynta dunida 1aad.   Gaaladu waxay Ku maahmaahan " insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again expecting different results"   waxan aaminsanahay in xalkayagu koonfur Ku xidhan yahay, meeshaas na aanu xoog iyo dhaqaaleba Ku bixino inaan nalooka tugtug roonaan shar iyo khayr midna.   Waxayna u badan tahay in somaliland qaadan doonto policy gan.

It’s all good to talk vision and strategy, but obviously SL politics is currently driven by ‘cadiifad’ of the commoners and I don’t see that changing

1 hour ago, Arafaat said:

It’s all good to talk vision and strategy, but obviously SL politics is currently driven by ‘cadiifad’ of the commoners and I don’t see that changing

I am sure Somaliland will be more involved in Somalia affairs than before.  I am also Sure somaliland won't join Somalia again in our lifetime.  The reason is very simple  Somalia is not attractive, they don't have any wealth to offer us , and we have nothing to give them.  

Secondly  the possibilities that Somalia will invade somaliland and take over hargeisa is close to zero.  In addition to that most Somalis are not willing to fight us in the name of somali unity.  For Those reasons I don't really see somaliland reuniting with somalia. And I don't see the world recognizing us.   Our only other option is to build our economy and our army.  Just like Taiwan.

Illyria   
3 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

How much do secessionists paid? For this stunt

It'll become common knowledge next time Sir Gavin's finances come under parliamentary review. He is known for committing  'pay for play'.

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

4 hours ago, Game changer said:

the south is a dead place what benefit will it actually bring to get involved in terms of achieving diplomatic recognition . what will we gain by meddling in their affairs give me one good example

3 hours ago, Xaaji Xunjuf said:

the south is a dead place what benefit will it actually bring to get involved in terms of achieving diplomatic recognition . what will we gain by meddling in their affairs give me one good example

What do you think other countries are doing in Somalia ?   Do you think they are  doing it out of love.  Wake up man.  You can't keep your interests by locking yourself in a room.  No body gives a shit if you are oasis of peace,  democratic,  or what ever  you think can make you look nice In the eyes of gaalo., even if we allow the  lGBTs  it won't change anything , until we  get involved with somalia political and social affairs left and right.  

Recognition soo socda ma jirtee  kadabkaaga uun ilaasho iyo danaha qabiilkaaga, maantada hadaynu is nidhaahno shiidaal dhoofiya, afar drooda oo shaadhkii Somalia sitaa geed dheer iyo mid gaabanba u fuulaya inay joojiyan,   waxay isku dayeen inay adhiga  kaa xidhaan , oo deeqaha lagaa goosto , waad arkaysay siday xitaa xeer degega uga soo saaren DPworld berbera. Waxaas oo dhan madhaceen hadaynu isticmaalayno awoodena aynu xamar Ku dhex leenahay.

Alshabaab qayb bay Ka ahayd wixii sababtay dagaalka lascaanod.  How long baynu sugayna inay barteena inoogu imanayan,  Waa in ciidamadeenu qayb kamida loo diyaariyo inay Ka qayb qaatan dagaalka alshabaab lagu qaadi doono dhawaan , Isla markaana dhulka beesha direed oo dhan waa inaynu gacanta Ku dhigno. niman caabudwaaq  iyo qoraxay  Ka tegay baaba meesha isku haysta.   Inaga bal maxaa inoo diiday inaynu qabsano xeebta from kismayo ilaa marka u dhexaysa in the name of Dir.   Bal waa ayyo cida inaga hor istaagi karta.