Sign in to follow this  
ManOfWisdom

Somali Women and Politics!

Ha ha ha ha

Miss Skyline u made me laugh! First u agree with Bari_Nomad who in fact is right by hitting the nail on the head.

But, secondly, u tell the truth about the hidden side of our women..

they like to shake the booty " NIKO"!

I realy belief that we have to elect a somali president who is a female. Than women will know what it means to carry responsibilties of a higher office in our country and maybe they will stop doing "Shake ur Feather" dance!

ManOfWisdom, you are making me sound bad!

Please :rolleyes: I have a mind of my own.

Anywayz I didn't make to you laugh, I was speaking the truth. About Somali women and their "Nikko" at weddings, and it's true so don't deny it. You have seen it all unwrap in front of your eyes ;)

Salaam,

I shall ignore most of your points @ManOfWisdom - I can only say 'where is the wisdom' ?

why are somali women not in politics? - well we can't do it all - we are the breadwinners, we are the caretakers(of Children & Men), and now you want us to lead the country ? talk about asking us to do it all, easy on the hate mails guyz icon_razz.gif .

my personal view is that somali women have not been geared towards politics, its a transition that has not taken place as yet.

I shall leave at that

Dear Always:

Are u always in transition..learning and in limbo!

Never to take ur station, never to use ur power, never to take responsibilities? You are in a state called "LIMBO"!

lol, for a man who has so much wisdom (debatable ) you tend to make too much generalisation.

Since when does learning = limbo?? confused somewhat.

Let me break it down in a format that you can grasp - learning, is what we go through life to become a much more productive person - learning is not only educational, but also life experiences..... now tell me about this limbo state you referring to, I'm all ears brother :cool:

Always limbo is a state of mind in which u r suspended in a vacum, in other words u r not neither here nor there and u can't be counted on.

By using as an excuse the fact that u r learning therefore can't state ur opinion than u r neither here nor there!

U want more lessons learner?

WOW, all that from my name huh? so you are telling me that you are not a student of life? and you think learning is an excuse? you are full of assumptions - maybe you should try asking few questions to make a better guess ;) (just a thought) .

I have to give you some credit, you have a way with moving away from the topic, what were we discussing???

As for wanting more lessons, no thanks - I'll dread what the outcome would be, I might end up thinking you know it all :eek: (scary thought)..

Indeed this would have made a brilliant talking point studying the root cause(s) as to why Somali women have been absent from the political scene, but unfortunately the discussion seems to have been hijacked by trivial, personlised stone-throwing exercise amongst individuals that it has lost its impetus. The discussion I trust would have been informative and indispensable as this forum hosts some of the finest minds in the Somali female congregation as well as male throng.

Nonetheless, issues to study perhaps would include:

Social – customary and conventional norms do not quite prepare women for predominant male roles including that of becoming a politician,

Ethical – women being morally superior and ethically enhanced and more refined than their male counterparts struggle with the culture of lying, deceiving, conniving, scoring points at any cost, and above all assassinating worthy adversaries if need may arise - whistle-blowing and women’s role in Enron and BCI come to mind,

Religion – Islam of which provisions award women more rights and protection than any other religion or faith entrust women with roles socially far too important, vital, and imperative than that of running for a public office – motherhood,

Culture – does not promote women’s participation in politics, in fact discourages to the point of it being viewed at some corner as a misdeed at par with immoral deeds in developing countries, with the Pacific Rim being the exception,

Nature – nature of the Somali politik which is rather crude and antagonistic, thus would not be suitable to the fine, emotional ridden debonair of the ladies,

Dominance – male dominance of all political platforms,

Low literacy rate – which deters women from entering the political arena,

Education/training – an introductory mechanism inducting women into the political discourse so as to encourage with view of empowering women in the former never developed, whereas the latter was almost non-existent,

Multi-roles – not only mothers – the fabric that binds our society together, but also breadwinners post-civil war Somalia as rightly pointed out by Bari_Nomad both abroad and in the old country (perhaps 99% in the latter case),

Class – the Somali middle class which managed to produce a handful number of women eligible and adequately primed for a political role has been stamped out by the military regime,

And more …..

Mind you, it has never been like this – simply observe the role of women around the time of SYL and the 77 war with Ethiopia, and you will note that women had played a significant role in the Somali politics.

Shall leave it there for a good lass or a chap to run with it,

Best of luck,

Cheers.

All i can say is that we as somali people owe our survival to the our somali women who have and continue to overcome obsticales ofter obsticales in these countries we fled too, whilst the men continue to distory each other back home and continue this bullshit that is separation and demonisation and destruction on the basis of qaabill.

Props to our Mothers, Grand mothers, aunties and all of our somali females.

We survived as a people through your collective struggle.

Xalimo7   

The thing that worries most is, why as a ppl sometimes don't use our god given brain, do you really blv that there is a Politics without a Women? i don't think so.

Women's reluctance of Politics stems from their multiple responsibilities. Many are heads of households and have demanding careers. They also enjoy more choices than earlier generations. Now that women make up half of students in classes, women eyes are on more on balancing the toughest job around being a housewife and mostly a good mother than politicking and insulting one another like their counterpart gender.By realizing that women can make a difference, they are recognizing that a new century, a new millennium is hardly the time for passivity and indifference.Women are the true Politician in this universe.

see you dude.